Things you should know about Findwide virus
Findwide virus is a low-level computer infection, also known as Findwide browser hijacker. Its main purpose is to affect user's web browsers and change the homepage on them. Findwide replaces the current homepage with Search.Findwide.com and also sets it as default new tab page. Though at the first sight this website provides web search engine that does not differ from other search engines, do not be fooled! Security experts have named this program as a potentially unwanted one (PUP) not without a reason. Read below to find out how this suspicious program works.
As we have already mentioned, this program locates web browsers that are installed on the computer, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and IE, and configures their settings so that Search.Findwide.com would be set as the homepage and a default new tab page. Despite the fact that it looks completely safe at the first sight, it is not a trustworthy website. The search engine it provides delivers many sponsored search results as well as corrupted ones, which include hyperlinks leading to dubious third-party websites. Remember that clicking on these search outcomes can force you to experience web rerouting and visit untrustworthy web pages. These web pages commonly are not even related to user's search queries; Findwide PUP seeks to promote them in order to gain pay-per-click revenue.
Unfortunately, some of such websites can be filled with infectious content, for example, hyperlinks to download fake software updates, malicious programs or simply other PUPs. If you do not want to end up on such suspicious sites, we strongly recommend you to use an alternative and more reliable search engine rather than the one Findwide redirect virus provides. However, it was noticed that it is quite challenging to remove Findwide; it is not enough just to reset browsers' settings. You need to uninstall this program from your system, and the easiest way to do it is to employ an anti-spyware software for that. We recommend using Reimage anti-spyware.
How did Findwide hijack your PC?
Findwide hijacker is one of those programs that are actively promoted via bundling and similar ways of distribution. The first thing that you have to remember is that there are hundreds of free programs that have been convinced to include some optional installs into them for monetization purposes. In order to get ability to see them and then opt out of them, you should select Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware. Also, you should follow every installation step very closely and opt out of suspicious components. If Findwide virus manages to get inside the system, it may change some of your system's settings that my lead you to the appearance of Search.Findwide.com instead of your default search engine, homepage and bookmarks. Please, do NOT ignore these changes because they clearly show that your PC is infected. You have to remove this PUP ASAP. If you do not want to use the recommended automatic removal program, navigate to page 2 to find the manual Findwide removal guide.
How to remove Findwide browser hijacker from the computer?
If you cannot stand system slowdowns, web redirects and other inconveniences that Findwide virus provokes, do not waste your time and take actions to get rid of it. You can uninstall Findwide redirect virus manually using the instructions provided below - it is actually quite easy. However, we care about your computer protection, and that is why we strongly recommend you to secure your computer with a reliable anti-spyware software. Even if you manage to uninstall this PUP manually, try scanning your computer system with SpyHunter or another reliable anti-spyware and see if there are no other suspicious programs installed on your PC. If you have any questions about Findwide removal, please contact us via "Ask Us" page.
You can remove Findwide automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Step 2. Remove Findwide from Mac OS X
Step 3. Remove Findwide from Internet Explorer
Step 4. Remove Findwide from Mozilla Firefox
Step 5. Remove Findwide from Google Chrome
Step 6. Remove Findwide from Safari
Remove Findwide from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Findwide from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Findwide or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Findwide from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Findwide or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Findwide from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Findwide and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Findwide removal.
Remove Findwide from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Findwide and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Findwide removal.
Remove Findwide from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Findwide and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Findwide removal.
Remove Findwide from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Findwide or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Findwide, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Findwide removal process.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Findwide
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Findwide
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.