What is Highlightly?
Highlightly is a potentially unwanted program, which can easily get on your nerves. We say so because of a simple reason - as soon as it enters computer, it hijacks each of its web browsers and then starts displaying continuous pop-up advertisements. In addition, you may notice banner ads, in-text links, pop-up notifications and other alerts that report about best prices, price comparisons, great deals and similar attractive things. Please, beware that these ads are displayed not only for helping you to improve your browsing on the web and help you save some money. They are also used for making people visit specific websites and increasing their visitors' number. If you want to avoid this marketing technique and suspicious websites that it may try to promote, you have to keep in mind that you have to avoid such potentially unwanted programs. Besides, they may infiltrate your computer in a bundle with other programs. That's why you must be very focused on programs' installation process when you are downloading them from the Internet. Typically, you should check what optional components are hiding inside and uncheck these pre-checked check marks that agree to install 'additional downloads', 'free additions' and similar components. Otherwise, you may notice continuous notifications, commercial ads and similar things that will try to interrupt into your browsing.
If you have no idea where Highlightly came on your computer from, you should waste no time and remove it because it may start tracking your browsing on the web and then may collect various information. In most of the cases, such browser add-ons collect people's search terms, mostly visited websites, data that they enter when visiting each of them, etc. No matter that such data is considered as personally non-identifiable, you shouldn't reveal it for unknown third parties. If you want to remove Highlightly, you should download SpyHunter or other reputable anti-spyware that will help you to detect all suspicious programs and their files. Of course, this program is also capable of preventing them in the future.
HOW CAN Highlightly hijack MY COMPUTER?
No matter that Highlightly should never be called 'virus' or 'malware', beware that this program can show up on your computer out of nowhere. That's because it's distributed in a bundle with freeware and shareware. We have already explained how can you avoid its installation. If you missed this check mark that says 'I agree to install Highlightly on my computer', you can expect that it will occupy each of your browsers. In addition, you may notice continuous banner ads and pop-up notificatons every time you enter a shopping site. No matter that it may sound harmless for you, beware that this program may also be used to track your browsing activity, redirect to insecure sites and initiate other insecure activities.
HOW TO REMOVE Highlightly virus?
If you were tricked into downloading Highlightly and now you are suffering from such notifications as 'ads by Highlightly', 'Highlightly ads', 'brought to you by Highlightly', etc., please follow these instructions and remove this freeware from the system:
You can remove Highlightly automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Highlightly Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Highlightly and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Highlightly or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Highlightly or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: Uninstall Highlightly from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 3
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Highlightly and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Highlightly removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Highlightly and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Highlightly removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Highlightly and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Highlightly removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Highlightly or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Highlightly removal process.
Step 3: Complete Highlightly removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Highlightly registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Highlightly
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.