What is Metacrawler Toolbar?
Metacrawler Toolbar is a legitimate browser add-on, which is compatible with each of web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and others. However, before you fall into believing that this program can be used for improving your browsing activity on the Internet, you should know that some of security experts have labeled it as a potentially unwanted application and a browser hijacker. Beware that it may easily affect all of your web browsers that can be found on your computer after installing various free applications and shareware. This means that, just like many other browser hijackers and similar PUPs, this program relies on a sneaky infiltration technique, which can hardly be noticed. In order to avoid such programs, you have to make sure that you pay enough attention to the installation process of the freeware. Typically, you should find a check mark that agrees to install this toolbar on your computer and deselect it. For more information about that, please check the next paragraph. After testing Metacrawler Toolbar on our computers, we haven't discovered that could be related to viruses. However, it might be that this program is closely related to Search.conduit.com and MetaCrawler.com. So, if you want to avoid these programs, prevent browser redirections on each of your web browsers, avoid commercial pop-up ads and similar issues while browsing on the Internet, we recommend uninstalling this potentially unwanted program from your computer. You can do that with a help of automatic removal option or with a help of manual removal steps that are given down below. However, we think that you should use SpyHunter for MetaCrawler Toolbar removal. This will help you to make sure that all suspicious applications were eliminated from your computer without leaving their leftovers.
How can Metacrawler Toolbar hijack my computer?
MetaCrawler Toolbar's distribution is closely related to freeware and shareware. Of course, you can install it from its official website but you should also remember that it may appear on your machine after downloading freeware and shareware on your computer. While it doesn't mean that now you have to stop using freeware, beware that such programs may be filled with suspicious components that can be avoided by monitoring installation of the freeware. That's the easiest way to prevent its infiltration. How can you do that? First of all, select Custom or Advanced installation method when installing freeware on your computer. Once you do so, make sure you find a check mark that allows installation of this toolbar on your computer. Of course, you should also deselect all check marks that agree with the installation of various browser add-ons and extensions. Beware that MetaCrawler Toolbar is usually presented as a powerful tool fro searching the web. However, you should take into account that it may return you altered search results and initiate other issues for you.
How to remove Metacrawler Toolbar?
If you found Metacrawler Toolbar on your computer, we recommend eliminating this program from your computer. For that, you can follow these steps:
You can remove Metacrawler Toolbar automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Metacrawler Toolbar Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Metacrawler Toolbar and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Metacrawler Toolbar or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Metacrawler Toolbar or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: from Windows shortcuts↷ Step 3
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Step 3: Uninstall Metacrawler Toolbar from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 4
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Metacrawler Toolbar and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Metacrawler Toolbar removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Metacrawler Toolbar and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Metacrawler Toolbar removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Metacrawler Toolbar and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Metacrawler Toolbar removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Metacrawler Toolbar or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Metacrawler Toolbar, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Metacrawler Toolbar removal process.
Step 4: Complete Metacrawler Toolbar removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Metacrawler Toolbar registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.