What is Softonic?
Softonic is a potentially unwanted application, which can easily infiltrate computer without user’s permission asked. For that, it relies on a method that is known as bundling. While it can't be imagined without freeware and shareware, it doesn't mean that while trying to avoid this PUP you will have to stop downloading freeware to your computer. In reality, you will need the only thing - start monitoring installation of such programs. For that you should use tips that are given in next paragraph. As soon as Softonic infiltrates the system, it settles down on all Internet browsers, including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari and Internet Explorer, and starts offering its services when user starts his/hers browsing session on the Internet. No matter how reliable and trustworthy it looks, you should never use its search box and website search.softonic.com fro your searches. We say so because it may easily show you altered search results that can easily reroute you to commercial or malicious websites. Besides, according to many PC users, it’s really hard to get rid of anything what is associated to Softonic Toolbar. Clearly, this is one of the latest examples of aggressive marketing, which is used to promote useless search engines, questionable browser add ons and other PUPs. if you have been dealing with this program for a while, you should waste no time and scan your computer with the reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to remove Softonic Toolbar from your computer and will also help you to avoid suspicious websites that may be promoted with its help. In this case, our recommended tool is SpyHunter.
How can Softonic hijack my computer?
Softonic toolbar is distributed using unfair marketing techniques or with a help of its official website. So, you can install it consciously from the sites that promote it or in a bundle with other applications. When it comes to unfair marketing, it usually relies on freeware and shareware and gets on its target PC as a ‘component’. As soon as it is installed, it drops its own add-on and extensions and shows up on all Internet browsers. Please, avoid Softonic because it is not created for improving your web search activities! Instead of that, it will cause altered search results and will redirect you to malicious websites. Be aware that you may also be forced to enter a hacked site that promotes various malware. If you want to avoid this application, you should select only Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware because these two methods are the only ones that can help you to see what optional components are hiding in a program that you want to install. If you haven’t installed Softonic virus on your computer and now you are seeing it on each of your websites, you should uninstall it without any delay. Use this guide for that:
HOW TO REMOVE Softonic virus?
If you haven't installed Softonic Toolbar, it is recommended to remove it from the system. For that, follow these steps to fix your browsers:
You can remove Softonic automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Softonic manual removal
Manual Softonic Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Softonic and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Softonic or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Softonic or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: from Windows shortcuts↷ Step 3
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Step 3: Uninstall Softonic from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 4
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Softonic and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Softonic removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Softonic and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Softonic removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Softonic and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Softonic removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Softonic or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Softonic, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Softonic removal process.
Step 4: Complete Softonic removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Softonic registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Softonic
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.