Start Search or startsear.ch is a web search engine that has a poor reputation on the Internet. While some security websites haven't been finding any problem to call it malicious, we haven't found any evidence that startsear.ch distributes malware. However, you should carefully trust its search results given because it seems like this website is capable to return only mixed results from Yahoo!, Bing and other popular search engines. In addition, you may also be redirected to commercial domains that have nothing in common with your search query.
HOW STARTSEAR.CH IS DISTRIBUTED?
The reason why startsear.ch is sometimes presented as malicious is a way how it is promoted – this is done through the use of various add-ons/pluggins or freeware. That means as soon as you install a program, you may find that your default home page is now replaced to startsear.ch without any permission asked. In addition, you won't be capable to restore your default settings by simply uninstalling the program that caused all these changes.
HOW TO REMOVE STARTSEAR.CH?
When trying to remove Startsear.ch from your favorite web browser, you will have to do manually. Note that this may affect IE, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Here are the steps how you can uninstall startsear.ch:
Remove Startsear.ch in Internet Explorer:
1. Open IE, go 'Tools' → 'Manage Add-ons'.
2. Choose 'Search Providers' → 'Bing search engine' and set it your default search provider.
3. Select 'Web search' and click 'Remove' to uninstall it (lower right corner of the window).
4. Go 'Tools' → 'Internet Options', choose 'General' tab and click 'Use default' button instead of startsear.ch. Finally, press OK button to save the changes.
Remove Startsear.ch in Mozilla Firefox:
1. Select 'Manage Search Engines' on the small magnifier icon at the right top corner
2. Select 'Web Search' and click 'Remove' button. Press 'OK' to save the changes.
3. Go 'Tools' → 'Options'. Now reset the startup homepage under the 'General' tab.
In addition, we highly recommend to scan your computer with reputable anti-spyware program in order to remove browser hijackers or other malicious programs that may also been installed. Run a full system scan with Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus or Reimage.