What is Surf Canyon?
Surf Canyon is a legitimate search engine, which can also be called search.surfcanyon.com. This search site may show up instead of your start page or default search engine out of nowhere, so, if it has just happened to you and your computer, it means that you have just installed a free application, which is used for spreading SurfCanyon in a bundle with it. In addition, if you have already been using this search engine for your searches, you should know that Surf Canyon may show you search results that are filled with commercial content. This is usually done for promoting affiliate websites and helping them to increase their popularity.
As soon as this program enters computer, it may try to affect each of web browsers that are installed on the system. It may easily alter such settings as the start page, the default search engine, the new tab page, etc. After that, you may notice search.surfcanyon.com on your computer each time you start your browsing. Besides, you may also notice "Surf Canyon Recommended", “Fast Search by Surf Canyon, Inc.” and similar notifications during your search sessions. No matter how trustworthy this search engine looks, we don't recommend trusting it and using it for your searches. Otherwise, you may be tricked into visiting unknown websites. If you have already noticed that your favorite search engine has already been replaced by Surf Canyon, you should check your PC for this potentially unwanted program.
HOW CAN SURF CANYON hijack MY COMPUTER?
Surf Canyon is mostly distributed in a bundle with freeware and shareware. That's why there are so many users who report:
'Some how I got a surf canyon extension, I have tried to disable it and uninstall it, but it keeps coming back' or 'Somehow surf canyon was installed on my macbook. Now when I search in google it redirects to surf canyon. I tried to remove it from preferences and put in google.com as homesite but it won't let me. It keeps overriding what I change. any ideas on how to remove?'
'I get a surf canyon window popping up on my desktop. I checked in my control panel's program and features and it doesn't appear there. I checked in firefox, tools, add ons and it appears but it is disabled. There is no option to "remove" it as there are for other add ons. And, even though it shows as disabled, the window keeps popping up. How do I get rid of this?'
As a rule, search engines are actively spread in a bundle with freeware and shareware and if you would fall for installing an adware-type program, which is called Fast Search, you could find searchcanyon.com instead of your start page and the default search engine. Nevertheless, you can also make this search engine as your start page or the default search engine manually because it has been promoted for free. If you want to avoid infiltration of unwanted programs, you should start paying more attention to installation process of the freeware and uncheck checkboxes that agree to download suspicious browser add-ons, plugins, toolbars and similar programs on the system.
HOW TO REMOVE Surf Canyon?
Technically, this program is NOT A VIRUS. However, it may cause unwanted activity on your computer. That's why it has been added to 'potentially unwanted program' and other categories. If your want to get rid of search.surfcanyon.com and other unknown search engine, the easiest way to do that is by running a reputable anti-spyware. Of course, you can also use a manual removal guide that is given on the official website of this search engine or below.
You can remove Surf Canyon automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Surf Canyon Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Surf Canyon and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Surf Canyon or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Surf Canyon or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: from Windows shortcuts↷ Step 3
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Step 3: Uninstall Surf Canyon from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 4
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Surf Canyon and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Surf Canyon removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Surf Canyon and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Surf Canyon removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Surf Canyon and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Surf Canyon removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Surf Canyon or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Surf Canyon, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Surf Canyon removal process.
Step 4: Complete Surf Canyon removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Surf Canyon registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Surf Canyon
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.