Sweetim.com virus is a typical potentially unwanted program (PUP), which can infiltrate computers in a bundle with other free downloads. Once it does that, it starts what it was created for - promoting various unknown domains that are related to it. Some of these domains are harmless (Search.Sweetim.com is harmless as well), but some of them may be filled with misleading advertisements and notifications that keep offering for PC users to use different discounts, install various programs or simply watch something for free. Of course, you should stay away from such sites and leave them ASAP. The clearest sign that sweetim.com virus has infiltrated your computer, is the changes in your homepage and default search engine. If you noticed that each of your search sessions are associated with the Sweetim.com, you should check your PC with updated anti-spyware.
How can Sweetim.com virus infiltrate my computer?
Sweetim.com virus can infiltrate the target PC system unnoticed. In fact, people accept with its installation when they don't pay enough attention to freeware's installation process. In order to avoid that, you should always choose a custom or advanced installation method and uncheck these checkboxes that say that you agree to install sweetim or other free additions. If you failed to do that, you may soon find Sweetim.com instead of your start page or default search engine. This virus may also initiate modifications in the proxy settings and even the Hosts file. The wort part of this is difficulties when trying to surf the web in a regular way.
How to remove Sweetim.com virus?
In order to remove Sweetim.com virus, follow these steps:
1. Uninstall Sweetim.com, Sweetim Manager, Toolbar and anything what is related to SweetIM from your computer:
Click "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Programs and Features" or "Add or Remove Programs". Look for SweetIM entries and click 'Uninstall' to remove them from your computer. Besides, you should uninstall SweetIM for Messenger, SweetPacks Toolbar for Internet Explorer and Update Manager for SweetPacks entries.
2. Remove SweetIM from each of your browsers:
- Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or ‘Tools‘ -> 'Internet Options'.
- Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
- Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' -> 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
- Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section -> 'Troubleshooting Information'.
- Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox’ for a couple of times and 'Finish'.
- Click the Chrome menu button, select 'Tools' -> 'Extensions', find Sweetim and other unknown extensions, and remove them by clicking Recycle bin.
- Now click 'Settings' -> 'Manage search engines' and change your default search engine.
3. Run a full system scan.
For that, we recommend using STOPzilla or SpyHunter that will help you to detect all infected files on your computer. Before a scan, be sure that these programs are updated and have the full virus data base.
It might be that we are affiliated with any of our recommended products. Full disclosure can be found in our Agreement of Use.
and Agreement of Use
Modern viruses are really hard to remove. They have random file names, random registry entries, they can immitale legal products and files.
Removal instructions sometimes can't Help to remove infection manually. Please take a look at our discussion where users like you share they experience in fighting the parasite: