What is Webswitch.tk?
Webswitch.tk is a search site, which is owned and operated by Ilyesoft Studio. It might appear as a genuine search engine with a search box, quick links, and similar things on its start page. Unfortunately, it’s more likely to be a genuine browser hijacker or a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that you should avoid installing. There are a lot of search sites that are similar to this one, including GlobaSearch.com, Sweet-page.com, mywebsearch.com and many others. If your default homepage and search engine are replaced by a suspicious application without your permission asked, it’s very important to remove the program that initiated such changes. Thus, if Webswitch.tk search appears as your default and you are sure that you haven’t set it, we recommend you to run a full system scan with Reimage and remove it without any delay. Be aware that this search site may deliver altered search results that may be filled with annoying pop-up advertisements and in-text links. Keep in mind that sponsored links may be provided to you in priority. This way, Webswitch.tk redirect virus seek to make you visit predetermined websites that are seldom visited in a normal way. Probably you understand that using such unfair techniques third parties may try to promote various suspicious websites that may be filled with absolutely questionable content. Besides, Webswitch.tk virus may try to find out more about you and your browsing habits. This way, it may try to find out what websites, ads, links, and similar things related to marketing attract users’ attention. However, it may also collect some pieces of personally identifiable information (IP address, email address, PC’s location, data entered in social network websites, etc.); therefore, you should think twice if Webswitch.tk plug-in is worth keeping.
How can Webswitch.tk hijack my computer?
Probably we will not surprise you by saying that security experts categorize Webswitch.tk as a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). Of course, these categories have been assigned to it not without a reason. That’s because it’s developers use ‘bundling’ and trick people into installing this plug-in without even realizing that. In addition to that, it’s capable of hijack all most popular web browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer) and initiating various unwanted activities about which we have already spoken. We haven’t mentioned in the previous section that it may also slow down the system and increase security vulnerabilities. Consequently, Webswitch.tk may even cause infiltration of other suspicious programs. In order to prevent all these issues, you should check freewares more carefully. This dubious search site may show up on your computer along with another freeware unless you unmark it during freeware’s installation. In order to do that, you have to select Advanced or Custom installation option and carefully check every check box. If you find a check box that promote ‘additional components’ and claim that you agree to install browser add-ons, plug-ins or set XXX as your default homepage/search engine, make sure that you uncheck ticks and only the finish the installation.
How to remove Webswitch.tk virus?
For Webswitch.tk virus removal, follow the guide that is given down below:
You can remove Webswitch.tk automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Webswitch.tk hijack Removal Guide:
Remove Webswitch.tk from Windows systems
- Uninstall Webswitch.tk and related programs
Here, look for Webswitch.tk or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Webswitch.tk from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerMicrosoft EdgeFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Webswitch.tk from Mac OS X system
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Webswitch.tk or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Webswitch.tk from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Webswitch.tk and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Webswitch.tk removal.
Remove Webswitch.tk hijack from Microsoft Edge
Reset Microsoft Edge settings (Method 1):
- Launch Microsoft Edge app and click More (three dots at the top right corner of the screen).
- Click Settings to open more options.
- Once Settings window shows up, click Choose what to clear button under Clear browsing data option.
- Here, select all what you want to remove and click Clear.
- Now you should right-click on the Start button (Windows logo). Here, select Task Manager.
- When in Processes tab, search for Microsoft Edge.
Resetting Microsoft Edge browser (Method 2):
If Method 1 failed to help you, you need to use an advanced Edge reset method.
- Note: you need to backup your data before using this method.
- Find this folder on your computer:
- Select every entry which is saved on it and right click with your mouse. Then Delete option.
- Click the Start button (Windows logo) and type in window power in Search my stuff line.
- Right-click the Windows PowerShell entry and choose Run as administrator.
- Once Administrator: Windows PowerShell window shows up, paste this command line after PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> and press Enter:
Once these steps are finished, Webswitch.tk should be removed from your Microsoft Edge browser.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerMicrosoft EdgeFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Webswitch.tk from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Webswitch.tk and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Webswitch.tk removal.
Remove Webswitch.tk from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Webswitch.tk and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Webswitch.tk removal.
Remove Webswitch.tk from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Webswitch.tk or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Webswitch.tk, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Webswitch.tk removal process.