Last week, the overall rate of SpyAxe and SpySheriff infections finally fell off and almost stopped last weekend. However, parasites seem to be coming back this week. According to our statistics, search queries with SpyAxe and SpySheriff keywords are back at the top. Related reviews and removal instructions are also the most visited ones. This makes us think that computers of prior SpyAxe and SpySheriff victims weren’t properly cleaned up and some remaining parasite components (probably browser hijackers and malicious plug-ins) are still reinstalling these threats. We also believe that a vast part of our visitors didn’t apply the most recent Microsoft Internet Explorer patches. Some of these patches seal the security holes used by SpyAxe and SpySheriff distributors to secretly install parasites to user computers.
Considering these facts, the 2-Spyware.com project encourages all the visitors to improve their system security and remove all remaining parasite components. To do this, please follow these steps:
1. Get rid of the HomePageBHO plug-in, which is a malicious Internet Explorer add-on redirecting the user to insecure web sites and blocking access to legitimate resources.
* Launch Internet Explorer.
* Within it click on the Tools menu and then select the Manage Add-ons entry.
* This should open the add-on manager. Find the HomePageBHO add-on, select it with your mouse or keyboard and then check the Disable option located below. Press OK. This should disable the SpyAxe-related malicious add-on.
2. Make sure there are no SpyAxe and SpySheriff components left in your system. Please revisit SpyAxe and SpySheriff manual removal instructions and search your system for listed objects. If some of them are still present, you cannot eliminate them or they are coming back, consider using the 2-Spyware.com Forum.
3. Apply the most recent Internet Explorer and Windows security patches. These fixes are available at Microsoft Update.
4. Do not visit any web sites listed in this post. If your web browser automatically accesses one of those resources, your system is still infected with parasites.