What is Boost Updater?
Boost Updater is one of potentially unwanted programs/adware that are mostly spread using unfair distribution methods and then used for commercial and other reasons. When inside the system, such programs may start generating hundreds of annoying pop-up ads. These ads appear on websites that you visit, so they may trick you into thinking that they are displayed by those sites. That’s not true. If you noticed Boost Updater ads when browsing the web, it’s a sign that your computer was hijacked. In this case, you should ignore all questionable notifications about poor computer’s speed, discounts and outdated program because they may trick you into installing seriously questionable programs on your comoputer. By the way, you may also notice Boost Updater redirects when browsing the web. You should also avoid them if you don’t want to avoid illegal and suspicious websites. In order to remove Boost Updater virus from the system, use a simple removal guide that is given below.
How can Boost Updater hijack my computer?
Just like many other potentially unwanted programs, Boost Updater is promoted via third party softwares. Seeking to earn some easy money, their creators agree to attach such questionable applications to their programs. That’s why you should be very careful when installing freeware and shareware on your computer. The easiest way to get some power and get ability to control what programs can enter your computer is with a help of Custom or Advanced installation option. Please, choose it when doing your next installation of the freeware. In addition, you should also read everything what is given about the program and opt out of programs that are listed in ‘optional downloads’. In most of the cases, this section is filled with various add-ons, extensions and plugins.
How to remove Boost Updater virus?
If you installed Boost Updater consciously, that's not bad. However, you should think about what we have said previously. No matter that it's not as dangerous as rogue anti-spyware or ransomware, it may still initiate various annoying activities on your computer. For eliminating Boost Updater from the system, you should follow these steps:
- Scan your computer with a reliable anti-spyware program. We recommend using Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
- Remove Boost Updater from your computer:
1. Click Start → Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
2. When in the Add/Remove Programs/Uninstall a Program, look for recently installed/unfamiliar applications, such as Boost Updater.
3. Click 'Uninstall' and then OK to save the changes.
- Remove Boost Updater extension from your browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome):
1. Open Internet Explorer, go ‘Tools‘ → ‘Manage Add-ons’ → ‘Toolbars and Extensions’.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar entries and click 'uninstall'.
3. Once you remove it, change your start page.
Reset your Internet Explorer (Optional):
1. Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or ‘Tools‘ → 'Internet Options'.
2. Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
3. Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' → 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
4. Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’ → ‘Extensions’.
2. Find suspicious-looking entries and click ‘Uninstall’.
3. After that, change the start page.
Reset your Mozilla Firefox (Optional):
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section → 'Troubleshooting Information'.
2. Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox’ for a couple of times and 'Finish'.
1. Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select Tools → Extensions.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar extensions and get rid of them by clicking on the Recycle Bin.
3. Don't forget to change start page.