CocoChaos is yet another unfair software that hijacks user's browser in order to display pop-up ads, advertisement banners, in-text ads, search ads and other sponsored visual advertisements. This ad-supported plug-in is classified as an “adware” and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). Majority of anti-spyware tools doesn't consider CocoChaos as a cyber threat, although, by hijacking one's browser and displaying ads, it seeks to generate web traffic to various sponsored sites. Sometimes these sites may be dangerous or even filled with serious viruses. If you are noticing pop-up ads that say “Ads by CocoChaos” or “Brought to You By CocoChaos”, you should scan your system with reliable and legitimate anti-spyware tool.
How can CocoChaos infiltrate my computer?
Similar nature programs often rely on questionable distribution and marketing methods. Sometimes CocoChaos or similar adware may trick users into installing it by promising better browsing experience, more relevant ads and etc. Don't be fooled, these applications have no benefit for its users. CocoChaos adware program is mostly distributed in a bundle with freewares and sharewares. When installing free programs, such as Youtube Video Dowloader 1.2, Free PDF File Converter and etc. you should be extra cautious. In order to avoid unwanted accessories, you should select “advanced” or “custom” method while installing unfamiliar programs. You should also read Terms of Service or similar form of policies before installation. By doing so, you will have a better control and understanding what type of programs you are installing and what sort of accessories are bundled with it. If you are seeing similar pop-ups when browsing, there is a high chance that your system is infected with CocoChaos virus. In this case, follow our submitted guidelines below and they will help you to remove this unwanted plug-in:
How to remove CocoChaos virus?
CocoChaos virus is not as dangerous as rogue anti-spyware or ransomware. However, it can easily initiate unwanted activities on your computer and make you visit really infected sites. That's why we don't recommend keeping such programs on computer. In order to remove this PUP, follow these instructions:
- Scan your computer with one of these security applications: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
- As soon as you finish a scan, uninstall unknown freeware via Add/Remove Programs list. For that, use these instructions:
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs (or Add/Remove Programs) -> Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for unknown entries/recently installed freeware, such as CocoChaos.
- Select 'Uninstall/Change' and click OK to save the changes.
- Finally, reset your browsers:
- Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or ‘Tools‘ -> 'Internet Options'.
- Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
- Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' -> 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
- Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section -> 'Troubleshooting Information'.
- Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox’ for a couple of times and 'Finish'.
- Click the Chrome menu button, select 'Tools' -> 'Extensions', find unknown extensions and remove them by clicking Recycle bin.
- Now click 'Settings' -> 'Show Advanced settings' -> 'Reset browser settings' and click 'Reset'.