What is Playtopus?
Playtopus is a very annoying adware that may generate banner-type ads, in-text ads, video ads, underlined keywords, search related ads and various sponsored links. In fact, it looks like this intrusive adware may be transmitted via Playtopus website and free games that it offers. That is why we strongly recommend not to download anything from such questionable websites. Decline various toolbars and extensions for your browser even if they look legitimate and reliable. As you can imagine, free programs are usually supported by advertising or such programs carry ad-supported attachments. Playtopus ads may totally distract you and completely ruin your browsing experience. If you have downloaded a free game or some toolbar from this gaming website, you should check your computer and remove this adware as soon as possible.
How can Playtopus hijack my computer?
As we have mentioned above, Playtopus virus may end up on your computer right after installing a program from this questionable gaming website. However, you should also watch out for other freewares. Even such well-known download websites as download.com and softonic.com may be involved in distributing Playtopus adware. Keeping that in mind, you should protect your computer by any means necessary. That is why we recommend installing a reliable security tool. Conduct a small research and find an anti-spyware program that suits you well. Internet is filled with similar and even more dangerous programs. What is more, you have to check every single program that you are going to install. In order to do so, you should choose 'advanced' or 'custom' installation option and attentively follow the whole installation. If you do so, you will see what extra attachments your desired programs has. Unmark all unfamiliar/suspicious additions and continue with the installation. If you are already experiencing Playtopus redirects and seeing annoying ads, use the removal instruction down below.
How to remove Playtopus adware from my computer?
Although this program can barely pose you any harm, it is not recommended to keep such adware on your computer. Don't let Playtopus redirect you to an unsafe website and cause you troubles. If that happens, you can easily expose your computer to various cyber threats. Follow this step-by-step instruction and remove this potentially unwanted program.
- Scan your computer with a reliable anti-spyware program. We recommend using Reimage, Malwarebytes Malwarebytes or Plumbytes Anti-MalwareNorton Internet Security.
- Remove Playtopus from your computer:
1. Click Start → Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
2. When in the Add/Remove Programs/Uninstall a Program, look for recently installed/unfamiliar applications, such as Playtopus, Coinis Downloader, SaverAddon, SupTab, WebSaver, Shopping-Addon, ValueApps, Lollipop, PriceMeter, Supra Savings, weDownload Manager, Software Updated Version, DP1815, Video Player, Convert Files for Free, BetterSurf, PureLead, Search Assist, Re-Markable, Lollipop, HD-Total-Plus, Safe Saver, Trusted Web, PassShow, LyricsBuddy-1, PureLeads, Media Player 1.1, RRSavings or similar unfamiliar entries.
3. Click 'Uninstall' and then OK to save the changes.
- Remove Playtopus extension from your browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome):
1. Open Internet Explorer, go ‘Tools‘ → ‘Manage Add-ons’ → ‘Toolbars and Extensions’.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar entries, such as Playtopus and click 'uninstall'.
3. Once you remove it, change your start page.
Reset your Internet Explorer (Optional):
1. Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or ‘Tools‘ → 'Internet Options'.
2. Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
3. Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' → 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
4. Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ → ‘Add-ons’ → ‘Extensions’.
2. Find suspicious-looking entries, such as Playtopus and click ‘Uninstall’.
3. After that, change the start page.
Reset your Mozilla Firefox (Optional):
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section → 'Troubleshooting Information'.
2. Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox’ for a couple of times and 'Finish'.
1. Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select Tools → Extensions.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar extensions like Playtopus and get rid of them by clicking on the Recycle Bin.
3. Don't forget to change start page.