Sm8mS is an adware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that may display intrusive pop-ups, in-text ads, search-related ads, video ads and other visual distractions. We are completely sure that you do not want to see these annoying ads. By the way, there is no telling what may hide behind these ads, and if you decide to click them, you may be rerouted to an unsafe website and infect your computer with a malicious virus. First sign, which may indicate that you have this unwanted adware, is repeatedly appearing pop-ups that are labeled as 'Ads by Sm8mS', 'Sm8mS Ads', 'Powered by Sm8mS', etc. If you are experiencing similar symptoms, we recommend reading this whole article in order to find out how to prevent this in the future and how to remove this pesky intruder.
How can Sm8mS hijack my computer?
It looks like that Sm8mS virus is somehow related to a well-known adware that is called SmartSaver (also known as SmartSaver+, SmartSaver Plus, SmartSaver+ 8, SmarSaver+ 23, etc.). Majority of adwares are distributed thru various download websites, or they may travel together with freewares as additional attachments. Hence, Sm8mS may also uses these unfair distribution techniques. Therefore, don't be surprised if you see Sm8mS ads right after installing a doubtful freeware, questionable game or an unfamiliar app. This program can hardly pose you any threat; however, it sure can annoy you. If you are going to install an unfamiliar free program, don't rush the installation process by any means. Don't click the 'next' button to speed up the installation. Instead, try to choose 'advanced' or 'custom' installation option and attentively follow the progress. This will give an opportunity to spot such unwanted attachments as Sm8mS or SmartSaver and opt out of them.
How to remove Sm8mS virus from my computer?
First of all, you need to check your recently installed programs and try to find unfamiliar entries. Follow these simple guidelines and you should have no trouble removing Sm8mS virus.
- Remove Sm8mS from your computer:
1. Click Start → Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
2. When in the Add/Remove Programs/Uninstall a Program, look for recently installed/unfamiliar applications, such as Sm8mS, SmartSaver, SmartSaver+, SaverAddon, SupTab, WebSaver, Shopping-Addon, ValueApps, Lollipop, PriceMeter, Supra Savings, weDownload Manager, Software Updated Version, DP1815, Video Player, Convert Files for Free, BetterSurf, PureLead, Search Assist, Re-Markable, Lollipop, HD-Total-Plus, Safe Saver, Trusted Web, PassShow, LyricsBuddy-1, PureLeads, Media Player 1.1, RRSavings or similar unfamiliar entries.
3. Click 'Uninstall' and then OK to save the changes.
- Reset your browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome):
1. Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or ‘Tools‘ → 'Internet Options'.
2. Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
3. Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' → 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
4. Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section → 'Troubleshooting Information'.
2. Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox’ for a couple of times and 'Finish'.
1. Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select 'Tools' → 'Extensions'.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar entries.
3. Select each of them and choose Trash can icon to delete them.