Smartsearch.pw – an Israel-based browser hijacker that is promoting a highly questionable MacKeeper
Smartsearch.pw is a fake search engine that tracks data to set personalized ads to its victim.
Questions about Smartsearch.pw
Smartsearch.pw is a browsing hijacker that can also be called as Smart Search. This hijacker can easily infect the system without user's notice and start promoting an infamous Mac OS X cleaner called MacKeeper. If you have ever tried it, you should know that this PUP displays numerous notifications on its victim's computer desktop that are all set to see its license. However, the program's effectiveness is doubtful, just like the ability of Smartsearch.pw virus to improve users' search sessions. No matter how actively this site tries to remind Google or other legitimate search engines, it provides only sponsored search results. In addition, after clicking these results, you can find yourself on highly suspicious websites.
|Symptoms||Changed homepage, new tab, redirects, pop-up ads|
|Targets||Mac operating system|
|Elimination||Use Reimage for Smartsearch.pw removal|
The search provider typically comes to your system without your knowledge or permission. This means that you are not aware of its presence unless you notice its activity on the screen, browser or general sluggishness of your computer. Because of this fact, people tend to call this program a Smartsearch.pw virus.
Although this is just a redirect virus and there is no damage to the main PC system you need to think about Smartsearch.pw removal. It is better for the device that you remove this cyber threat quickly after you notice something suspicious. All those background processes highly affect the performance and speed of your device. High usage of CPU can be a reason of crash or freeze on the device due to the presence of the hijacker
The Company uses the information it collects for analytical, business and operational purposes in the following ways:
- to operate and update the Software & Services and provide you with existing and new functionality and features;
- to improve and customize the Software & Services;
- to provide you personalized content, including through the delivery of targeted interest-based advertisements from us or our partners;
- to maintain and improve the quality and operation of the Software & Services;
- to notify you of Software & Services updates; 6. to provide you with support and handle your complaints and/or feedback;
- to take any action in case of a dispute involving you in connection with the Software & Services;
- to enforce the terms and conditions applicable to the Software & Services and to prevent unlawful activities and misuse thereof; and
- to comply and satisfy any applicable law regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
Unfortunately, the customized commercial content after the hijack is also known as targeted advertising. In other terms, the contrivers generate pay-per-click or pay-per-install revenue from the ads you click on. Keep in mind that some advertisements might look legitimate while actually hide malicious scripts inside. Thus, consider uninstalling Smartsearch.pw.
You need to remove Smartsearch.pw if you want to be safe while surfing the web. According to researchers, the best solution for the virus termination and cleaning your system are anti-malware tools like Reimage. It is advisable to use certified programs so you can rely on them.
Software providers and virus developers make arrangements to spread PUPs
It is known that people tend to rush through some processes on their PC, including installations. Freeware providers and potentially unwanted program creators are aware of this fact. This is where they can employ the marketing technique called bundling. It is the process when software, tools or products are packed with PUPs and other potentially dangerous files.
When you are getting your updates or software from non-legitimate sources, you can get additional pieces that you don't want. This means that choosing Default or Quick options during installation allows all additional pieces to get on your system and you are not aware of this when you rush through. The best solution here is Advanced or Custom options. These settings allow you to see all programs that are installed on your PC and gives you an ability to de-select programs you do not want to get.
Smartsearch.pw termination requires professional help
To remove Smartsearch.pwfrom the system, you should use anti-malware tools. This is advisable because these programs can remove all pieces related to browser hijackers or other PUPs. Also, anti-malware can be a good addition to your anti-virus software because of the feature that allows to detect, remove and block malware, including the components of browser hijacker.
Smartsearch.pw removal requires attention because programs that come with other programs can hide in various places and work behind your back. So manual termination is not very helpful and time-consuming. We have a few suggestions of reputable anti-malware programs. Also, if you scroll down, you can find a step-by-step guide that helps to go through the whole virus elimination quickly and get rid of Smartsearch.pw.
You can remove virus damage automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, SpyHunterCombo Cleaner, Malwarebytes Malwarebytes. We recommend these applications because they detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Smartsearch.pw, follow these steps:
Erase Smartsearch.pw from Mac OS X system
Get rid of Smartsearch.pw by following these steps:
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Smartsearch.pw or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Eliminate Smartsearch.pw from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove browser hijacker from your Explorer:
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Smartsearch.pw and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Smartsearch.pw removal.
Remove Smartsearch.pw from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Get rid of browser hijacker now by following these steps:
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Smartsearch.pw and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Smartsearch.pw removal.
Uninstall Smartsearch.pw from Google Chrome
Delete Smartsearch.pw from Chrome browser:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Smartsearch.pw and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Smartsearch.pw removal.
Delete Smartsearch.pw from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Smartsearch.pw or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Smartsearch.pw, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Smartsearch.pw removal process.