Why should you be careful with the MPC AdCleaner?
“Say goodbye to Web ads and Popup windows” is the slogan MPC AdCleaner virus uses to attract the users to download the application. Alright, perhaps “virus” is a little bit too strong term to describe this program because technically, it is not capable of damaging or corrupting your computer systems. Nevertheless, the cyber security community has its eyes set on this program and, apparently, not in vain. Some rather questionable features of this program keep emerging, and we would like to discuss them in this article as well.
MPC AdCleaner is an application created by the company called DotCash Limited which is also known as a developer of another questionable software, the MPC Cleaner. MPC stands for More Powerful Cleaner, and the software itself is introduced as one of the leading anti-ad software worldwide. This PC optimization tool supposedly allows the user to speed up their browsing experience by eliminating the pop-up ads, banners and other advertising media from the visited websites. Surprisingly the tool is free to download, which already suggest that there must be some other way its creators use to monetize it. Besides, though the program is not a virus, the problems with its functionality can already be seen from the user feedback. 70% of the users and experts who have downloaded this program on their computer recommend to remove it. That is a quite a significant number when talking about a program which presents itself as one of the leading ones in the world. So why exactly encourages people to remove MPC AdCleaner from their computers?
Once it is on the computer, AdCleaner starts making other changes such as altering your browser settings to assign search.mpc.am as the default search engine and homepage. Remember when we talked about monetizing? Well, this is exactly how MPC AdCleaner does it. Search.mpc.am is a platform that the software creators have used to advertise other websites and products though it looks like a legitimate search engine at first. Searching on it, though, will prove that all that it offers are sponsored ads and links leading to the affiliate websites. The problem is that these sites may be potentially dangerous since the search engine creators do not take any responsibility for the reliability of the advertised content. If you are still hesitant about the MPC AdCleaner removal – don’t be. There are other software that can help you get rid of the ads without forcing you to use suspicious search engines and risk having your computer infected.
How did this application turn up on my computer?
First of all, we should point out the program uses shady ways to reach its potential clients. Though DotCash Limited has an official website to promote its products, MPC AdCleaner is a frequent download suggestion on sites like download.com, cnet.com. Nevertheless, the direct downloads are not the main source from which this cleaner creates its user database. More commonly, it infiltrates computers with other freeware and shareware applications, often without even informing the users about it. To disclose such program before they enter your computer, choose advanced installation setting, i.e. always choose the “Advanced” or “Custom” setup modes instead of the “Quick” or “Recommended” ones when installing new software on your computer. Then follow the installation steps attentively and opt out unwanted installs.
How do I remove MPC Adcleaner from my PC?
Since MPC AdCleaner is not technically a virus, you should have no trouble eliminating it. Just remove it like you uninstall any other program from your computer. However, it is worth mentioning that users have noticed some residual files left on their computers after the MPC AdCleaner removal. If you have noticed anything like it on your computer, we suggest running a system scan with Reimage or some other antivirus suite to eliminate the junk files and make sure they are not malicious. In order to reset your browser, follow the instructions provided below the article. You will find instructions on how to remove MPC AdCleaner from IE, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
You can remove MPC AdCleaner automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove MPC AdCleaner, follow these steps:
Eliminate MPC AdCleaner from Windows systems
To eliminate Search.mpc.am and reset your preferred search engine or website, follow the instructions below.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall MPC AdCleaner and related programs
Here, look for MPC AdCleaner or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove MPC AdCleaner from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle Chrome
Erase MPC AdCleaner from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for MPC AdCleaner and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete MPC AdCleaner removal.
Delete MPC AdCleaner from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select MPC AdCleaner and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete MPC AdCleaner removal.
Get rid of MPC AdCleaner from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select MPC AdCleaner and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete MPC AdCleaner removal.