What is Alexa toolbar?
Alexa Toolbar is a potentially unwanted program, which is owned by Amazon and is compatible with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Mostly, users install this program on their computers because they expect helpful information from it - Alexa Toolbar promises them to provide varied information about websites, such as traffic rankings, various user reviews, visitors' number and similar data that is very useful for the most of PC users. However, this is not the only feature which Alexa Toolbar is known for. There are some things that may make you to think twice before downloading this program to the system. Beware that this program may also initiate some annoying activities on computer, for example slow downs, continuous pop-up advertisements and so on. Besides, it can also collect data about the user and consume such data as people's mostly visited websites, data that they enter when visiting them and even PC's IP address. Typically, this program can also get collects data about user's web browser and operating system, his/hers email address, location and products or services that were purchased via its service. However, this data is considered as personally non-identifiable, so there is no reason to worry about your financial data when having this toolbar installed on the system. Nevertheless, it seems that those who have Alexa Toolbar are especially annoyed by its Amazon shopping button, which appears when you hover your mouse over some product. If you want to get rid of it, you will have top remove a program that is responsible for showing it. That's alexa toolbar.
HOW CAN ALEXA TOOLBAR APPEAR ON MY COMPUTER?
Alexa Toolbar can be downloaded from various websites that are used for promoting such and similar programs. These third party websites are widely known, so you can download this program without a trouble. However, you may also download it in a bundle with other programs, such as freeware and shareware, as an optional component. Note that this distribution technique is still legitimate but it has also initiate various doubts and discussions. In addition, it seems that it can be easily avoided. You can do that by paying more attention to installation process of freeware and shareware. You should simply select Custom or Advanced installation option and then carefully check installation windows of the freeware you are going to install on your computer. In addition, make sure you get rid of each of the check marks that agree to download and install Alexa Toolbar to the system. If you use Alexa Toolbar and you don't think that it's annoying, you can leave it on your computer without any concerns. This program is NOT a virus, just a potentially unwanted application.
HOW TO REMOVE ALEXA TOOLBAR?
If you want to remove Alexa Toolbar from your computer, first thing you should do is to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs feature. You can do that with a help of those programs that are listed below or by using the manual removal guide:Alexa Toolbar properties:
• Connects itself to the internet
• Stays resident in background
You can remove Alexa Toolbar automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Alexa Toolbar manual removal
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\[XVS]\User Agent\Post Platform\Alexa Toolbar
alexaie.dll, alxres.dll, alxtb.dll, alxtb1.dll
alexaie.dll, alxres.dll, alxtb.dll, alxtb1.dll
C:\Program Files\Alexa Toolbar
Step 2. Remove Alexa Toolbar from Mac OS X
Step 3. Remove Alexa Toolbar from Internet Explorer
Step 4. Remove Alexa Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox
Step 5. Remove Alexa Toolbar from Google Chrome
Step 6. Remove Alexa Toolbar from Safari
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Alexa Toolbar or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Alexa Toolbar or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Alexa Toolbar and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Alexa Toolbar removal.
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Alexa Toolbar and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Alexa Toolbar removal.
Remove Alexa Toolbar from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Alexa Toolbar and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Alexa Toolbar removal.
Remove Alexa Toolbar from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Alexa Toolbar or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Alexa Toolbar removal process.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Alexa Toolbar
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Alexa Toolbar
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.