Clickdark.xyz ads Removal Guide
What is Clickdark.xyz ads?
Clickdark.xyz tries to persuade people to download a browser extension that can cause unwanted symptoms
A site created by crooks is promoting a bogus browser extension
Clickdark.xyz is a bogus website created by crooks to trick people into installing a possibly malicious browser extension. Downloading tools from unofficial sources is always risky. Users who install the ClickDark extension may start experiencing an increased amount of commercial content, like pop-ups, banners, and redirects.
Crooks may be using rogue advertising networks that place ads leading to dangerous websites. People can end up on scam pages that try to lure out their personal information, fool them into downloading PUPs (potentially unwanted programs), and even malware. The plugin may also act as a hijacker and change the main browser settings, like the homepage, new tab address, and search engine.
Usually, fraudsters will try to disguise malicious applications as “handy” tools. We previously wrote about other hijackers, like. Most of them promise to be able to change web page colors, find coupon codes while shopping online, etc. There is no reason to keep them installed as they can lead to serious user privacy and security issues.
|TYPE||Phishing attempt; adware|
|SYMPTOMS||If users install a bogus add-on, they may start experiencing spam and changing browser settings|
|DISTRIBUTION||Shady websites, deceptive ads, adware infections|
|DANGERS||Links embedded in the ads might lead to dangerous websites|
|ELIMINATION||Eliminate the extension through your browser settings; scanning the machine with anti-malware tools is recommended|
|FURTHER STEPS||Use ReimageIntego to get rid of any remaining damage and to optimize the machine|
promotional websites for bogus browser extensions and other fake downloader pages rarely appear in the search results. Usually, they hide on other shady sites that are unregulated. We recommend avoiding pages that engage in illegal activities because they are full of deceptive ads and sneaky redirects.
It is best to not click on random links or ads even if they seem to be promoting legitimate products and services. Crooks can use social engineering methods to impersonate well-known brands. We previously wrote about a fake giveaway site Papcorwye.live that crooks made to look like it was made by Chrome.
We recommend using only official web stores and developer websites for app installations. Apps that get listed there, have to go through an extensive review process. However, you should still always do your research – read the reviews, look at the ratings, and the number of users.
Choose those add-ons that have plenty of positive feedback and thousands of users. You should also read the descriptions fully as fraudsters often make grammar or spelling mistakes. Also, if it seems too good to be true – it probably is. Do not trust everything you see online.
Try to use only official download sources to avoid malicious apps
Regardless of whether you installed the extension from Clickdark.xyz or not, you should check your browser for malicious plugins. You can do that by following the step-by-step instructions below:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
- Select Menu (three horizontal dots at the top-right of the browser window) and pick Extensions.
- From the list, pick the extension and click on the Gear icon.
- Click on Uninstall at the bottom.
MS Edge (Chromium)
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Delete unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Cookies and cache
They can be sold to advertising networks and other third parties. That is why security professionals recommend clearing them regularly. For a quicker process, we recommend using a maintenance tool like ReimageIntego. It can delete cookies and cache automatically, or even fix various system errors which is especially helpful after a virus infection.
Scan your system for adware
Sometimes, the appearance of scam pages is caused by adware. It is advertising-supported software that can cause push notification spam, random redirects, etc. If you completed all the previous steps but still experience unwanted symptoms, we recommend scanning your system with professional security tools, like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes.
They can detect suspicious processes running in the background of the machine and eliminate all the related files. Manual removal can result in the renewal of an infection. Besides, it can be difficult to identify adware as crooks often disguise them as “handy” tools that most people would not suspect.
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
How to prevent from getting adware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.