Eoeo virus Removal Guide
What is Eoeo ransomware?
Eoeo ransomware is a file-locking virus that encrypts data twice
Eoeo ransomware is a cryptovirus that can encrypt target files twice or more.
Eoeo ransomware is a dangerous cryptovirus written in AutoIt scripting language. Malware is using the .eoeo file extension to mark encrypted data. Taking into account the fact that some of these files can be encrypted twice or more, there is no doubt that files with this appendix cannot be used. After the infection, the virus uses the AES encryption method to lock data and then drops the specific extension several times. Encryption keys used in this process are hardcoded and, based on this fact, it should be significantly easier to restore encrypted files. However, it might not be possible since ransomware encrypts files more than once. The Eoeo AutoIt ransomware is using Readme.lol file to notify its victim about the attack which is copied to various locations on the system.
|Distribution||Spam email attachments|
|Elimination||Download and use ReimageIntego for Eoeo ransomware removal|
At the moment, EOEO AutoIt ransomware focuses on English-speakers. This virus encrypts everything on the system, even those files which have already been encrypted. When encryption is performed on a file more than once, it becomes impossible to decrypt them. Even the alleged decryption tool which is offered by ransomware developers does not work in this case.
Since there is no text in the ransom note file, we have no information about the ransom amount or other details regarding the attack. Files' encryption is the main thing ransomware is known for. However, this intruder can do more than you think. If your system is infected with ransomware, it means that the virus can also initiate the following actions behind your back:
- Lock the screen of your computer and make it impossible to use;
- Use various computer resources to perform silent processes;
- Infect the system with other malware;
- Change Windows registry keys and other system's components;
- Steal data saved on the system.
You need to remove Eoeo ransomware from the device before it is too late. Since this threat can access the Windows registry, it makes various changes there and modifies existing or adds new registry keys to make sure that virus is launched each time your PC is rebooted.
If you want to perform a proper Eoeo ransomware removal, you need to employ a reputable anti-malware program which is capable of deleting malware. We suggest ReimageIntego and a few other programs down below for the virus termination and fixing the damage caused by malware. You can also find methods for data recovery below the article.
Researchers always note that you shouldn't pay the demanded ransom and contact cybercriminals behind these threats as this can lead you to money loss or permanent data corruption. Try to focus on the system cleaning process and take precautionary measures if you want to avoid any infection repetition in the future.
Eoeo ransomware is a virus that places an empty ransom note file on multiple folders. There is no information about the ransom amount asked by this cyber threat.
Email spam campaigns can spread ransomware
If you are not aware of the possible danger behind questionable emails, you can already have a cyber threat on your device. Spam email is one of the most common ways ransomware can be spread around the World Wide Web. Nowadays these emails look safe and legitimate, at first glance, and people without the right knowledge may fall for this. When browsing online in general and in your email box, you should think about the possibility to get a possible threat.
You can look for typos or grammar mistakes on those unknown emails. Commercial content, various ads, and direct in-text-links also indicate that the email is not trustworthy. Especially, if you get, and email from the service you do not use or an unknown company. Malicious people behind these threats tend to hide their product while using known names. Delete questionable emails without opening or at least scan the file before you download it on the computer.
Eliminate Eoeo AutoIt ransomware and clean your PC properly
To remove Eoeo ransomware and fix all the damage, you should use ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Anti-malware programs like these can thoroughly scan the system and detect all possible threats. After the scan, this tool indicates which programs are malicious and need to be terminated. After Eoeo ransomware removal, make sure to double-check if there are no malicious programs left. If you used the Safe Mode or System restore to disable the virus, repeat the scan when on normal mode.
More virus removal tips are provided by our expert team below. Here you will also find a few methods that you can try for data recovery. Since there is no official decryption tool at the moment of writing, try the following suggestions.
Getting rid of Eoeo virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Reboot your device in Safe Mode with Networking as the first step in Eoeo ransomware removal:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Eoeo using System Restore
System Restore feature should also be used in this virus elimination:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Eoeo. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Eoeo from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
There is a possibility that encrypted data is not going to be decrypted, but you should try to recover locked data anyway
If your files are encrypted by Eoeo, you can use several methods to restore them:
If you deleted your files try Data Recovery Pro to restore them
You can also use this tool for encrypted files if you have no backups on the external device
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Eoeo ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature is designed to work for file recovery
If your device got an Eoeo ransomware infection, try to restore your data by using this feature. However, this only works if the System Restore feature was enabled before
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer can recover Shadow Volume Copies
Unfortunately, this method only works if Shadow Volume Copies were left untouched
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Official decryption tool is not available yet
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Eoeo and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.