Fenrir ransomware / virus (Simple Removal Guide) - Bonus: Decryption Steps
Fenrir virus Removal Guide
What is Fenrir ransomware virus?
Fenrir ransomware appends unique 10 character extension to targeted files
Fenrir is a crypto-malware that uses AES encryption to corrupt files on the affected computer. Malware asks to pay $150 for data recovery and provides all detailed recovery instructions in Ransom.rtf file.
The virus does not append one specific file extension. It creates a unique suffix based on the affected computer’s ID. Malware has an embedded Hardware Identification tool that assists in creating the unique extension from first 10 characters of computer’s ID.
Fenrir ransomware has been noticed spreading as a fake Adobe Acrobat Reader. However, cybercriminals might use numerous strategies to infiltrate devices in China, Sweden or other parts of the world.
The research revealed that malware is written in Visual Studio 2017. It is created to modify Windows Registry and making other changes to the affected system. Such activities are necessary to run the virus with system startup and launch its malicious activities.
Undoubtedly, the major task for Fenrir virus is data encryption. Once all targeted files are encrypted, malware drops a text file and run a program window called “All Your Files Have Been Locked.” The ransom-demanding message asks to send $150 before the timer runs out.
Cyber criminals provide Bitcoin ID address where victims are supposed to transfer the money. When the transaction is made, people have to send personal ID and transaction ID to email@example.com.
Accepting hackers’ offer may be the only possibility to recover your files. Malware is suspected for deleting Shadow Volume Copies of the targeted data. Thus, decryption with third-party software may not be sufficient. However, this situation should not motivate you to take this risky deal.
Ransomware viruses are blackmailing tools that are created to swindle the money from the computer users. Thus, data recovery is just a matter of hackers’ conscience. We do not recommend testing if cyber criminals are willing to keep their word or not. It’s better to remove Fenrir and lose your files than suffering from money loss as well.
Virus elimination is performed with reputable security software, such as RestoroIntego. Of course, you can choose your preferred malware removal tool. However, don’t forget to update it first. If you cannot run automatic Fenrir removal, please scroll down to the end of this article and follow the instructions.
In the ransom note, authors of the Fenrir ransomware virus demands to transfer $150 in order to decrypt files.
Cyber criminals use multiple distribution methods to infiltrate computers
Malware researchers have found a Fenrir spreading with the help of Adobe Reader.exe and pretending to be Adobe Acrobat Reader. Thus, if you need to install this program, make sure that you are downloading it from the official publishers’ site.
Fake downloads are only one distribution method of the file-encrypting virus. It might also enter the system using malicious spam emails and exploit kits. The malicious payload might be downloaded to the system when:
- user clicks on obfuscated Word, PDF or another document;
- user clicks on button or link provided in the email;
- user keeps the outdated software on the computer.
Therefore, in order to avoid Fenrir attack, you need to follow two major rules. First, you have to stay away from unknown emails and avoid clicking provided content in them. Second, to keep software and system updated.
Wipe out Fenrir virus with the help of security software
Fenrir removal must be performed using reputable malware removal software. Ransomware is a complicated virus that might install numerous malicious files and affect system processes. Thus, its removal should be completed correctly.
Before running a full system scan with security software, you may need to reboot the computer to the Safe Mode with Networking first. This mode helps to disable the virus and get rid of it automatically.
If you are not sure what tool to choose, we recommend using either RestoroIntego or Malwarebytes. We can assure that both of these programs can remove Fenrir from the system entirely.
Getting rid of Fenrir virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Follow the steps below to disable the virus and run automatic malware elimination.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Fenrir using System Restore
In order to disable the virus you can use System Restore method.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Fenrir. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Fenrir from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If you do not have backups, your chances to recover files encrypted by Fenrir ransomware are not high. However, you should still try alternative recovery methods suggested below.
If your files are encrypted by Fenrir, you can use several methods to restore them:
Restore encrypted files with Data Recovery Pro
After Fenrir attack, Data Recovery Pro might be the only way to restore files. This tool is known for helping numerous people to recover encrypted, corrupted and deleted files. Thus, follow the steps below in order to use this tool:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Fenrir ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature may help to recover files encrypted by Fenrir
If System Restore has been enabled before ransomware attack, you should follow the steps and copy necessary versions of encrypted files:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Fenrir decryptor is not created yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Fenrir and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.
- ^ Advanced Encryption Standard. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.
- ^ Wubingdu. Wubingdu. Chinese website about malware and virus removal instructions.
- ^ Forrest Williams. Understanding Exploit Kits: How They Work and How to Stop Them. The Barkly Blog. The latest endpoint security news, tips, and actionable insights.