Haxerboi virus Removal Guide
What is Haxerboi ransomware?
Haxerboi – another ransomware imitating the infamous WannaCry
Haxerboi is a crypto-virus also known as ransomware. Its payload is being executed via hackerboi.exe file, which is currently spread as a part of HaxerBoi malware builder V 0.1. Once downloaded, the ransomware encrypts files using an AES cipher and appends a .haxerboi file extension to the most of the files.
|High. Runs multiple scripts and renders personal files inaccessible
|HaxerBoi malware builder V 0.1. Can also be spread via malspam, exploit kits or rogue software updates
|AV engines recognize it as HiddenTear or HiddenTears version 1
|Download FortectIntego and run a scan with it to eliminate Haxerboi ransomware
The ransomware is spread via malware builder application, so most of the wanna-be hackers are not expecting to get into the trap of hackers by themselves. Luckily, Haxerboi ransomware seems to be a test version and is currently under investigation whether it can bring about success.
Once the potential victim downloads the HaxerBoi V 0.1 and runs the executable file, he or she is presented with a ransom note. Although the developers are trying to imitate the infamous WannaCry ransom note, they can hardly be confused. A pop-up window with a text in a red background saying “Oops your files have been encrypted” lacks a countdown clock on the left side. Nevertheless, the body texts are identical:
What happened to my computer?
Your important files are encrypted.
Many of your documents, photos, videos, databases and other files are no longer accessible because they have been encrypted. Maybe you are busy looking for a way to recover your files, but do not waste your time. Nobody can recover your files without our decryption service.
The Haxerboi ransomware does not provide a unique identification number, which is an immediate warning that the ransomware is destructive rather than constructive. It's not very likely that the developer will know which PC has to be maintained even the victim transfers the payment.
The Haxerboi virus demands only $10 ransom that has to be transmitted in Bitcoins within 6 hours. After that, the price should double, while the absolute deadline is 12 hours. At this point, hackers are supposed to delete the personal Haxerboi decryption key, thus making the locked files inaccessible forever.
It's not yet clear whether the ransomware fulfills its tasks. Nonetheless, dieviren.de experts and other security vendors highly recommend people not to pay the ransom even if it's only $10 worth. Instead of that, you should initiate a full Haxerboi removal.
As we have already mentioned, it does not seem that the ransomware developers would have a Haxerboi ransomware decryptor themselves. Even if they do, by paying it you risk downloading another malware, such as rootkit, spyware or warm to your PC.
Haxerboi is a ransomware that points out to the infamous HiddenTear. Whether they are related or not, the outcome is the same - the virus locks files and demands a ransom in Bitcoins.
VirusTotal analysis indicates the fact that the Haxerboi virus might have been built on the platform of open-source ransomware dubbed as HiddenTear. BitDefender, Emsisoft, F-Secure, GData, Ikarus, and other influential AV engines recognized the ransomware as Gen:Heur.Ransom.HiddenTears.1, Trojan.Ransom.HiddenTear, Gen:Heur.Ransom.HiddenTears.1 (B), Trojan-Ransom.HiddenTear, and similar. Nevertheless, experts haven't yet approved that the Haxerboi ransomware emergence has been crafted using the Hidden Tear source code.
Anyway, Haxerboi removal is a must to keep using the PC regularly. Launch antivirus scanner and run a full system scan with it. After that, you should try to retrieve files locked by this cyber menace with the help of third-party tools.
Ransomware distribution method
At the moment, this ransomware virus is being disseminated via HaxerBoi malware builder V 0.1. This tool does not fall for the list of favorite freeware, so its prevalence is not expected to go wild.
Nevertheless, the distribution of Crypto-viruses is seldom confined to one strategy. It's essential to monitor email messages and avoid opening attachments of emails named as “urgent,” priority,” “highly important” or similar.
Steps to get rid of Haxerboi ransomware virus
The Haxerboi virus hasn't yet been thoroughly evaluated. Nevertheless, it's clear that it locks files and can render them hostage permanently.
To prevent this from happening, remove Haxerboi asap. You won't be able to do that manually, so make sure to install or update a reliable security tool and run a full system scan with it. Once you're done with the Haxerboi removal, try data decryption methods listed down below.
Getting rid of Haxerboi virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
If you cannot launch your anti-virus because of ransomware wall,please follow the steps below to bypass the restrictions:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Haxerboi using System Restore
If the Method 1 failed to unlock your security software, try the following steps:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Haxerboi. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Haxerboi from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Haxerboi, you can use several methods to restore them:
Download Data Recovery Pro
To decrypt files encrypted by Haxerboi HiddenTear trojan, try Data Recovery Pro. This tool might help to retrieve at least a bigger part of locked files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Haxerboi ransomware;
- Restore them.
Previous Windows Version might help
If you tend to create System Restore Points on Windows regularly, then you might be able to recover separate files by from previous versions.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Exploit Volume Shadow Copies
Download Shadow Explorer to check whether malware managed to delete Volume Shadow Copies or not. In case these copies were left intact, you'll be able to use them for data recovery.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Try Hidden Tear decryptor
The Haxerboi ransomware might be related to the infamous HiddenTear. Thus, if none of the above methods worked, try running a free HiddenTear decryptor. You can download it here.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Haxerboi and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.