KillRabbit ransomware (Bonus: Decryption Steps) - Improved Instructions
KillRabbit virus Removal Guide
What is KillRabbit ransomware?
KillRabbit ransomware – a sneaky file-encrypting virus which adds the .killrabbit appendix to corrupted files
KillRabbit ransomware - a serious virus which uses the AES-256 encryption algorithm to lock up files.
KillRabbit ransomware is another dangerous cryptovirus which targets victim's documents right after infiltrating the system via spam. This sneaky threat shows as killrabbitV2-release.bin file which is around 986 KB size. Once installed, ransomware starts encrypting important documents and marks them by adding the .killrabbit file extension to each corrupted file. For example, if you have a file named beautifulday.jpg, the KillRabbit virus will turn it into beautifulday.jpg.killrabbit. Note that this is a serious sign showing that you are infected. After that, files become unusable and can be recovered only after adding the decryption key which is saved on hackers' servers and can be obtained for a certain price which varies from $100 to several hundred dollars.
|Danger level||High. Invades the system and blocks files by making them unusable|
|Purpose||Encrypts important data, displays a ransom note, urges victims to pay a certain price for the decryption tool in order to get corrupted files back|
|Elimination||For such case you need to download and install anti-malware. We recommend RestoroIntego|
Paying the demanded ransom is not the best choice when dealing with KillRabbit ransomware. According to malware experts, cybercriminals usually leave victims scammed as they seek only for money. Keep in mind that the most of such transfers remain completely secret as they usually involve Bitcoin or another type of cryptocurrency. Instead of supporting hackers and their dirty works, you should opt for legitimate data recovery options.
Kill Rabbit ransomware is typically using the AES-256 encryption algorithm to lock up important user's data. Such an algorithm is used to encrypt data with the unique codes that are different for each of virus victims. This is the main reason, why data decryption is almost impossible, even if it is performed by highly-experienced IT experts. The easiest way to recover files encrypted by .KillRabbit file virus is to use backups. That's why you should take care of them without wasting your time.
The virus is typically encrypting these files:
If you spot these types of files having the .killrabbit appendix added to their names, be quick to remove KillRabbit virus from your computer system. For such purpose, we suggest using RestoroIntego as professional and trustworthy help is required to detect each of the infected files.
After you perform the KillRabbit ransomware removal, you can try using some third-party software for data recovery. The methods are shown below this article. Another piece of advice would be to prepare your data for the future. You never know when another virus might occur in your computer system. For such reason, we recommend storing valuable files on external devices, for example, a USB drive.
KillRabbit ransomware is a file-encrypting virus which manages to get into a user's computer thru spam emails.
Avoid spam emails to prevent aggressive ransomware
Spam emails are the most common ransomware distribution source. Usually, when someone gets the computer infected with a malware form such as ransomware, there is a high possibility that such damaging content came from a phishing message. By using exploit kits and similar techniques, cybercrooks drop such messages to numerous users that, once opened, infect systems and make files that are saved there unusable.
Even if the email seems safe and legitimate, make sure you double check the sender's address, message body, company's name, etc. If you are not expecting anything important at the moment, better delete the message to stay safe. Otherwise, check the file by hovering the mouse over it to see what kind of file it is.
Another recommendation for those who are willing to avoid ransomware would be to install professional antivirus protection if you do not have one already running on your computer. Choose a trustworthy one so that it would work and protect your system properly. Make sure that all updates are done from time to time.
To get rid of the nasty KillRabbit virus perform our detailed steps
To remove KillRabbit ransomware from the system, you need to download and install reputable anti-malware. We suggest picking from one of these programs: RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, or Malwarebytes. Make sure you avoid manual removal as there is a high chance to lead your computer into more damage.
Programs that are given above will guide you thru the whole removal process. All you need to do is to follow their recommendation. After you perform the KillRabbit removal, you can move on to the recovery of your files. Options that are offered by our cybersecurity experts are given below.
Finally, be sure to do one more step and take care fo your files to prevent their loss in the future. Our advice would be to take care of the backups of your most important data by saving these extra copies on an external hard drive, the cloud or similar devices.
Getting rid of KillRabbit virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Use Safe Mode with Networking to disable the virus and run a scan for KillRabbit removal:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove KillRabbit using System Restore
Try activating the System Restore feature to prevent malfunction of your scanner. Make sure you repeat the scan when on normal mode.
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of KillRabbit. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove KillRabbit from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If you want to restore important data, we advise looking thru the following methods and picking the most suitable one for you.
If your files are encrypted by KillRabbit, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try Data Recovery Pro to recover encrypted files
This method might be helpful for data restoring. Follow the instructions carefully.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by KillRabbit ransomware;
- Restore them.
You can try using Windows Previous Versions feature to get back files encrypted by .killrabbit file virus:
If you have enabled the System Restore feature before the cyber attack, you might have a chance of restoring your important data.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Give a try with Shadow Explorer:
This kind of method might seem helpful, however, it will not work if the virus deleted Shadow Volume Copies of corrupted files.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
There is no official KillRabit decryptor available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from KillRabbit and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.
- ^ Ioys. It experts' malware prevention and removal tips.
- ^ Ray King. What is Cryptocurrency? Your Complete Crypto ABC. Bit Degree. Tutorials.
- ^ Advanced Encryption Standard. Wikipedia. The free encyclopedia.