MatchKnowledge – a PUP that might install tracking cookies on Macs
MatchKnowledge is an adware program that is created to perform suspicious activities on Mac computers only. Due to the common usage of Windows OS, adware developers create programs that mostly interfere with Windows systems, however, Mac computers and laptops are also becoming very popular nowadays, so spotting adware and similar suspicious software on OS X is not a surprise anymore. MatchKnowledge Mac might appear after a visit to a suspicious website or while downloading software from a free source. Once this happens, expect to receive a big number of ads and redirects. Additionally, you might even encounter various tracking cookies on your browser apps which are injected to spy on your browsing activities.
|Sub-type||Potentially unwanted program|
|Target||Mac OS X|
|Signs||Browser changes on the homepage, a frequent flow of ads, redirects during browsing activities, the appearance of unexpected tracking cookies|
|Revenue from||The adware collects monetary benefits from each click on its ads|
|Distribution source(s)||Free software often brings adware and other potentially suspicious components straight to the computer|
|Prevention tips||Using the Custom configuration will allow you to prevent secret adware infiltration|
|Get rid of it||Get software such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego on your PC and remove the PUP within a few clicks|
MatchKnowledge virus does not bring any positive things to the user. All of its purposes are just income-related. One revenue-gaining scheme is called pay-per-click and the other one is based on collecting non-personal data that is shared with third-parties later on or used to create beneficial ads and provide attractive deals that somehow appear to suit the user's needs.
For example, if you have been recently searching for a reliable computer security tool, MatchKnowledge might spy on such activity and take notice that some offers of reputable software might attract you to clicking on the developer-sponsored advertisements. This way some people are tricked into purchasing useless anti-malware products that relate only to unexpected money losses.
However, that is not all MatchKnowledge is capable of. Adware programs are also known for their redirecting capabilities that might relate to potential danger in some cases. For example, if you start experiencing redirects from this PUP, they can take you to third-party networks which lack required security. Later on, this might relate to the secret installation of malicious objects and infections such as Trojan horse or ransomware virus.
MatchKnowledge is a potentially unwanted program that uses bundles to end up on the targeted system
Moreover, you might spot that MatchKnowledge has changed some of your web browser settings. Modifications can be spotted in the homepage and new tab sections of your infected browser application. Furthermore, you might also find questionable-looking add-ons, extensions, and plug-ins. These components might be forcing the ad flow. You can get rid of suspicious content by following these guidelines:
- Open your infected browser and click on the three dots that you will appear at the upper right corner of the window.
- Locate Settings and continue with the Advanced section.
- Under the Privacy & Security option, you will see Site settings, click on them and then continue with Notifications.
- Find anything that is related to MatchKnowledge and remove it from the list.
Opting for MatchKnowledge removal is the right choice to make while dealing with this potentially unwanted program. Eliminating the suspicious application might be very easy if you decide to use reliable software such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego for the process. However, you can also try manual removal guidelines if you are likely to. Locate them at the end of this article.
MatchKnowledge is adware that attacks Mac computer users and infects browser apps such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari
There are plenty of reasons to remove MatchKnowledge from your Mac computer and not postpone the process. The increasing notification flow will start bothering you even more and relating to system crashes and struggles that will approach due to the overuse of system resources such as The Central Processing Unit, and similar.
Bundled software – adware hiding place
Adware is one of the most common PUPs distributed throughout the Internet. Have you ever been wondering how do these sneaky applications end up on the targeted system so that their popularity increases each month? Well, if this is the question that you want to ask, we are going to reveal some strategy details that are used for the infiltration of such threats.
Technology experts from Virusai.lt believe that developers who are interested in distributing potentially unwanted applications always use stealth strategies, otherwise, a big number of users will supposedly never download and install such apps to their computers after reading about all the advertising, redirecting, and data-tracking activities they perform.
The avoiding principle of adware is simple. It is cautiousness. You need to be careful whenever you browse the web and carry out actions online. Avoid visiting various unprotected sources and use the Custom configuration mode so that potentially unwanted content does not reach the system without your notice.
Main removal techniques for MatchKnowledge virus
If MatchKnowledge virus has been interrupting your browsing work recently and installing AdBlock did not help to stop the incoming notifications, you supposedly have an adware application installed on your computer system which is responsible for all of these activities. Getting rid of this cyberthreat is what you should do.
MatchKnowledge removal can be carried out with the help of an anti-malware tool. We always recommend using this automatical method for removing potentially unwanted programs and other viruses from the system. Reputable security software is always a better decision when you are looking forward to terminating the PUP safely and effectively.
However, you can try to remove MatchKnowledge from Mac OS X and infected web browsers with the help of the below-provided guidelines that will lead you through the entire web browser cleaning process. This involves all infected apps such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and similar.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove MatchKnowledge, follow these steps:
Uninstall MatchKnowledge from Mac OS X system
Clean your Mac operating system from adware signs. This can be done with the help of the below-provided instructing steps:
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove MatchKnowledge from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for MatchKnowledge-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove MatchKnowledge, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to MatchKnowledge and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the MatchKnowledge-related entries.
Remove MatchKnowledge from Internet Explorer (IE)
If you discovered some suspicious components in your Internet Explorer web browser, eliminate all helper objects by following these guidelines:
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for MatchKnowledge and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete MatchKnowledge removal.
Delete MatchKnowledge from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
You can get rid of all questionable components from the Mozilla Firefox web browser application. All you need to do is take all of these steps seriously:
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to MatchKnowledge and click Remove.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
In case MatchKnowledge did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete MatchKnowledge removal.
Erase MatchKnowledge from Google Chrome
You can reverse all suspicious changes in your Google Chrome web browser with the help of this guide:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to MatchKnowledge by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
If the above-methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the MatchKnowledge-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete MatchKnowledge removal.
Eliminate MatchKnowledge from Safari
Removing adware-based content from Safari can be done by performing these below-given steps:
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension related to MatchKnowledge and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.