Should you remove MPC (More Powerful Cleaner)?
MPC virus is a term that describes several potentially unwanted programs (PUP) that are all related to each other. Some of these programs can be installed on computer system together, and start implementing unpleasant activities in the system. MPC hijack can happen entirely without user’s knowledge, but surprisingly, in a legitimate way. Users who encounter this problem are advised to remove files related to this software without a hesitation since they are hardly beneficial. Cyber security experts suggest deleting such suspicious programs using a spyware/malware removal tool because such software can detect and remove all potentially dangerous programs (PUP) and critical applications at once. In our opinion, Reimage software is the best for MPC removal.
Versions of this suspicious software:
MPC Cleaner. It is the main program, which causes the most problems for the computer user. Reportedly, it is distributed together with MPC AdCleaner and also changes user’s homepage address to search.mpc.am. On its official website, it is presented as “the world fastest and lightest PC Cleaner,” but we just want to add a line “that is not worth your trust.” It seems that this PC Optimizer displays forged scan results and provides many false-positive findings, attempting to convince the computer user that the computer needs to be fixed immediately. The aim of this software is just to talk the user into purchasing the full version of this nearly useless piece of software; therefore, we believe that this program deserves to be removed from the system without a doubt.
MPC AdCleaner. It is compatible with the majority of web browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Internet Explorer. Although it promises to enhance user’s browsing experience by blocking intrusive web ads, it seems that this program hardly can accomplish this task. Installed together with MPC Cleaner, this suspicious system tool places its files on the computer system and starts tracking data about user’s browsing experience by adding tracking cookies to each web browser. The information it collects can be used for marketing purposes, shared with third-parties and used to serve targeted web advertisements. If you do not want to reveal information like your search queries, IP address, and the like, just remove MPC AdCleaner from your PC.
Search.mpc.am. It is a browser hijacker type computer infection. Although it cannot be described as malicious, its activity is definitely highly annoying. It appears that this hijacker redirects the user to Search.mpc.am on the startup of every web browser, and suggests using a shady search engine. When we tested this search engine, we have noticed that it displays a considerable amount of sponsored search outcomes, which prevent the user from reaching relevant information quickly. Each result page begins with several search results marked as “Ads,” leading users to various web pages. Sadly, some of these sites might be insecure, and that is why security experts advise users to avoid using this search engine or clicking on its search results. It would be the best if you removed this URL from browser’s homepage settings. We recommend you to consider using a different search engine instead of this one.
How did this program hijack your PC?
To be honest, we have to say that it is very easy to install potentially unwanted programs without realizing it. If you did not download any of these MPC programs by your choice, there is a great chance that they have entered your computer system alongside other free programs. For this reason, you should rethink what free applications you have recently installed on your PC. Typically, almost every free program provides suggestions to install one or a few optional applications, so you have to find these suggestions and deselect these bonus programs to prevent them from entering your computer system. To do this, you need to select Advanced or Custom settings in its installation setup. Please do not rely on Standard or Default settings because these typically just hide these proposals to install additional software. If you choose these “traditional” installation settings, optional programs will be installed automatically without displaying any notifications to you.
Ways to remove MPC:
There are two main methods how you can remove MPC virus from your computer. If you are an advanced PC user, you can attempt to hunt down all components of this questionable software manually. If you feel that you are not advanced enough, but you still want to delete it on your own, then please use MPC removal instructions provided below. The best choice would be to remove this suspicious application automatically because it relies on a huge variety of files and other system components that you should catch manually. If you still believe that you do this, start with these steps:
- Go to Task Manager (click Start -> Task Manager) and go to Processes Tab.
- Here, find all MPC Cleaner-related entries, including MPC Protect Service and MPC Tray. Right click each of these entries and select Open File Location.
- Once you opened the folder, select End Task and repeat with other files.
- Finally, eliminate those directories you were sent to.
You can remove MPC automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
MPC virus manual removal:
Manual MPC virus Removal Guide:
Delete MPC from Windows systems
Delete all programs that belong to MPC software: MPC Cleaner, MPC AdCleaner, Search.mpc.am, and others. You should also clean all your browsers by deleting suspicious extensions related to this software.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall MPC and related programs
Here, look for MPC or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove MPC from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Uninstall MPC from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for MPC and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete MPC removal.
Remove MPC from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select MPC and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete MPC removal.
Erase MPC from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select MPC and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete MPC removal.
Delete MPC from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for MPC or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by MPC, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete MPC removal process.