play-bar.net Removal Guide
What is play-bar.net?
Things to consider before using play-bar.net
Play-bar.net or play-bar.net/search is introduced as an alternative to such search engine giants as Google or Yahoo. We do not recommend using this search provider instead of your start page or the default search engine because it has been classified as a browser hijacker. Although this website looks attractive and provides such information as local time, temperature, and a grid of online games, it also suggests installing Playbar extension from Google Play Store. No matter that it is presented as a funny app designed for gaming, you should stay away from it. Also, if you have already downloaded this app to your computer, you should remove Play-bar.net from it. This article discusses key characteristics of this PUP. In case, you are already aware of the capabilities of browser hijackers and do not want to waste time, choose automatic Play Bar removal.
The key problem of this seemingly reliable search engine is that it collects your personal information, such as full name, home and email address, phone number, date of birth, etc. It does not only use it for answering your inquiries, but it openly admits sharing such data with third parties. Such hijackers as Play Bar, powered by Plus network, now have few legal restrictions to do so after the recent legislation issued by the Congress. Furthermore, it tracks your browsing habits and keeps a record of daily visited domains and browsing frequency. Due to such activity, do not get surprised if your Inbox gets loaded with personalized emails received from shady users or companies. Especially, avoid opening any emails which contain “invoice” attachments or attempt you deceive with fake lottery prizes.
Play-bar.net offers additional links to gaming websites. However, the question, how secure they are, is disputable.
This application can also change your homepage to play-bar.net and start displaying various advertisements for you. You may receive them within your search results in a form of pop-up ads, in-text links, and similar commercial content. Soon, you will notice that the majority of links provided by this browser hijacker causes play-bar.net redirect problem on each of your web browsers. Though privacy online is becoming more fragile, you can still choose the websites and apps with least data leak risks. According to PC security experts, tracking and redirect issue are the main reasons why should you avoid using this search engine. To protect yourself from visiting websites that are infectious, we recommend you to take care of Play-bar.net removal from your computer. The easiest way to do that is to install a reliable anti-spyware tool, for example, FortectIntego.
Why did it occupy my browser?
Play bar hijack might have occurred as a result of recklessly installing freeware. Usually, the developers of PUPs (including adware, browser hijackers, etc.) spread their products by bundling them to legitimate programs. Nonetheless, there is only one tip to avoid such optional installations – do not rush. Make sure you read every statement on the installation process window! Also, most important part is to choose safe installation settings. So instead of popular ”Default” and ”Standard” methods, opt for either ”Custom” or ”Advanced” mode. Either one or another choice gives you an opportunity to customize your installation, and you can reject the apps you do not wish to install. So, just untick the boxes that suggest unfamiliar content, and that’s it.
Pay-bar.net elimination steps
If you have decided that this playful search engine is an unnecessary tool for you, you should perform play-bar.net removal by using a reliable anti-spyware. Also, go back to a reputable search engine, such as Google or Bing, that returns safe search results for its users. You can also get rid of this browser hijacker manually by following a step-by-step guide below. However, keep in mind that it is not enough just to reset your homepage to get rid of it. You will need to uninstall virus and all of its components (including PlayBar extension). You can do it automatically with an anti-malware program listed below, or you can delete it manually. For that, we have provided instructions below this article.
You may remove virus damage with a help of FortectIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Getting rid of play-bar.net. Follow these steps
Uninstall from Windows
Uninstall each of these apps: Play-bar.net, Play-bar for Chrome, Play-bar.net for Firefox, Play bar for Internet Explorer, Pesquisa.ninja, iLivid, ViceIce.com, Esurf.biz, Search.kuklorest.com, SearchPile.com, BrowserProtect, Search-Results Toolbar, Youtube Downloader HD, etc.
Instructions for Windows 10/8 machines:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
If you are Windows 7/XP user, proceed with the following instructions:
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
Delete from macOS
To make sure that browser hijacker’s removal will not last for more than one day, uninstall each of these apps: Play-bar.net, Playbar for Chrome, Play-bar.net for Firefox, Play bar for Internet Explorer, Pesquisa.ninja, iLivid, ViceIce.com, Esurf.biz, Search.kuklorest.com, SearchPile.com, BrowserProtect, Search-Results Toolbar, Youtube Downloader HD, etc.
Remove items from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
Remove from Google Chrome
The most affected search engine is Google Chrome. If you want to delete play-bar.net from Chrome, check the list of extensions and remove PlayBar from it. It looks like that:
To get rid of this unwanted extension, follow steps below:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the unwanted components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings.
Remove from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not help, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox.
Delete from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of play-bar.net registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting stealing programs
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.