PornBlackmailer virus Removal Guide
What is PornBlackmailer ransomware?
People are attacked by PornBlackmailer ransomware after downloading adult-only content
PornBlackmailer virus is a fraudulent ransomware-type infection which spreads via adult-only websites. According to the analysis, it does not encrypt any data. However, it threatens its victims to give the necessary evidence to the police which would prove that the user is responsible for watching and distributing child pornography. These threatenings are delivered in READ_ME.txt file, and people are insisted on paying 0.01 BTC to protect themselves.
Users report that they have detected PornBlackmailer ransomware after downloading videos with erotic content. Shortly after, their desktop wallpaper was changed, and they have received the ransom-demanding message which was claiming that all sensitive information is transmitted to the remote servers.
Here is the fraction of PornBlackmailer's ransom note:
You looked through forbidden children's porn!
Also, you are involved in its spread.
This is very very very bad!
So information about your location (ip, mac, real address) and other needed data (browser cookies, social network links, desktop screens, browser history, passwords) were collected and sent to our server.
You can see part of data was collected in “C:\Users\User\Robin\server_logs” in the files “your_information.txt” and your location on map in “your_location.jpg”. Also you can see more other information about you in near folders and cookies files.
All these data was send to the our server in the internet and can not be deleted by you. All these data and complaints will be automatically forwarded to the special police departments (FBI, CIA, INTERPOL, MVD, FSB) exactly 24 hours after the current moment (this is not joke, automatically proccess). This will be enough to put you in jail for at least 1 year. Believe me, you are not the first.
HOWEVER, if you send “0.01 BTC” to the address specially generated for you, all your data will also be automatically deleted from our server and you will live peacefully, having received a lesson.
REPEAT: To forget about this incident, you need to send “0.01 BTC” to the bitcoin address (specially generated for you) below. Then all your data will also be automatically deleted from our server.
It is evident that the criminals behind PornBlackmailer try to intimidate their victims by providing the screenshots of their active desktop and the copy of browser history. All of these details are separated in different folders under the names of browser-cookies, and desktop_screens. Additionally, they add the your_information.txt file which contains information about the computer and victim's IP address.
PornBlackmailer ransomware accuses its victims of watching and distributing child pornography. They are demanded to pay 0.01 BTC or the evidence will be handed to the police.
Since the ransomware actually spreads via infected video files for adults, victims are tricked to believe that such actions will be exposed. Likewise, many people have already agreed on paying the ransom, and the crooks managed to make considerable amounts of illegal profits. However, have in mind that this virus is based on the ability to manipulate credulous people. Thus, do NOT pay the ransom! Instead, remove PornBlackmailer right now.
We suggest using FortectIntego for PornBlackmailer removal. Experts say that this infection might have numerous extra components along the fake video for adults. Likewise, you should get a professional security software to help you detect and eliminate all malicious files from your computer.
Also, despite the fact that this malware does not encrypt information, it doesn't mean that it is not dangerous. You should not try to get rid of PornBlackmailer by yourself. This is a relatively new cyber threat which might be able to perform various other malicious activities, like infect your computer with more viruses. For this reason, we kindly ask you to either get help from the experts or get a professional malware removal software.
Ransomware spreads as a part of the video with erotic content
Even though the original source of the malware is currently unknown, its victims report that they have encountered the infection after downloading a video file for adults. Websites with pornographic content is a common source of various cyber threats. This virus was designed to disguise as Windows screensaver with .src extension.
One victim particularly indicates that the website, called XVideos was the source of the malicious file. Likewise, we strongly advise you not to download any content from suspicious pages. It includes images, documents, videos or software. Use only authorized websites and avoid peer-to-peer networks (P2P) as well.
Additionally, it is wise to know that criminals might employ other distribution methods, like malspam campaigns which spread the malware inside the attachment of the email. Therefore, be extremely cautious when clicking on the links, letters or other content which was sent by people you do not personally know.
The easiest way to uninstall PornBlackmailer virus
Since our aim to help regular computer users protect their systems, we suggest using a robust security software. An antivirus is not only helpful when trying to remove PornBlackmailer, but it can prevent ransomware infiltration in the first place. Therefore, employ a professional anti-malware software for both, as a precautionary measure and removal tool.
FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, and Malwarebytes are perfect for PornBlackmailer removal. You only need to download one of the antivirus systems and let it scan your computer files thoroughly. This elimination method will require merely a few clicks before your system will be clean again.
However, experts from NoVirus.uk says that it might be hard to get rid of PornBlackmailer at first. Dangerous cyber threats often are able to prevent yours from installing the security software. Note that you can circumvent its system by rebooting your computer to Safe Mode. You will find the instructions showing how to do that at the end of this article.
Getting rid of PornBlackmailer virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
It is possible that you will not be able to download an antivirus at first. Therefore, reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Networking. For that, check the instructions below.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove PornBlackmailer using System Restore
Also, here is another way to boot your PC into Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of PornBlackmailer. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove PornBlackmailer from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by PornBlackmailer, you can use several methods to restore them:
Try Data Recovery Pro
This tool is highly recommended since it has multiple functions — it can help you to recover files if you have accidentally deleted them or in case of ransomware.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by PornBlackmailer ransomware;
- Restore them.
Use Windows Previous Versions feature
It is possible to use the in-built function to recover individual files. However, you are only able to use this feature if System Restore function had been enabled before ransomware attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Get back the access to your data with ShadowExplorer
If PornBlackmailer didn't delete Shadow Volume Copies, you might try to use this software:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
PornBlackmailer decryptor is unavailable
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from PornBlackmailer and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as FortectIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.