SilkTopic mac virus Removal Guide
What is SilkTopic mac virus?
SilkTopic mac virus is the unwanted program affecting the particular macOS device by causing redirects
The threat can show up as the installed program, but the infection is useless
SilkTopic mac virus is a threat that can be called adware because it is closely related to various advertising platforms and sponsored commercial content creators. The infection is the software that delivers ads and notifications to promote online scams and other platforms related to rogue platforms and processes. The threat cannot be called a virus, but the infection is annoying and intrusive, so it should be removed as soon as possible.
The mac malware is commonly believed to not exist, but these threats coming from the Adload family show that Apple devices are not immune to threats at all. These PUPs, like the SilkTopic mac virus, are specially designed to affect these particular devices silently.
Users cannot pin the point when the infection happened because adware-type intruders spread around using deceptive methods and managed to install infections stealthily during normal freeware download and installation procedures. Make sure to remove the infection from the machine as soon as possible.
SilkTopic mac adware is the program that tricks users into visiting pages and advertisements with the capabilities of installing malicious programs, so the sooner you remove the program from the system, the better. The threat is not valuable, so it should be removed properly from the system right away.
|Type||Mac virus, redirect|
|Category||Potentially unwanted program|
|Issues||The program shows ads, notifications, redirects to other pages and it creates slowness of the machine, affects the performance of the computer|
|Distribution||Freeware installations, other programs, online platforms where p2p services are used, Flash Player update messages, fake errors|
|Family||Adload mac malware|
|Elimination||Threats should be removed using antivirus tools or similar security applications compatible with the operating system|
|Repair||These infections can cause issues with the machine, so running ReimageIntego can help to repair issues related to performance or corrupted files on the system|
The adware is promoting various products and shows banners, notifications, and pop-up ads with offers and coupons, users interact with the content and can allow installation of other malware or threats that are more dangerous than this initial adware-type intruder. SilkTopic mac virus can be used by scammers and expose people to rogue sites, so it should be avoided.
The threat abuses various deceptive methods and tries to show affiliate content to obtain illegitimate commissions from purchases and views of these sites. The adware is promoting various sites, and it even tricks users into filling out surveys or other details, so people can be endangered when the application runs on the device.
SilkTopic mac virus is intrusive and damaging because it runs in the background and can act as a browser hijacker. Experts note that these functionalities can trigger additional issues and lead to data tracking abilities and identity theft or privacy problems, so do not keep the PUP on your system.
The threat spreads via deceptive pop-ups and fake update alerts
Removing the PUP
SilkTopic mac adware is the PUP that runs in the background and causes all the issues with the machine and internet browsing experience. The presence of this software over time can create major issues with the PC, so the sooner you remove it, the better. That might be difficult, but there are ways.
SilkTopic mac virus can be persistent, and it is not easy to remove the application that is not present on the desktop or other parts of the machine right away. You might not see the app installed on the computer, but you can terminate the infection nonetheless.
Try to run the application like anti-malware tools and remove the SilkTopic mac virus properly. Antivirus programs like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes can run the full system scan and remove the threat of any kind that is detected. These security programs can indicate all threats and potentially dangerous materials, so your device is virus-free again. You can still check particular system places for damaging applications.
Remove items from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
The program can spread using various deceptive material online like fake update messages, program promotional ads, alerts about existing programs, and other errors or system earnings. These threats are deceptive and possibly malicious, so avoid anything that is suspicious to avoid infections of these shady apps.
You need to remove SilkTopic mac virus properly to forget about those issues with the internet browsing and other processes. Those redirects to dubious pages and unwanted advertisement delivery should be the first indication that an adware-type infection is running and encourage you to scan the machine to remove all existing cyber threats.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Getting rid of SilkTopic mac virus. Follow these steps
Remove from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not help, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox.
Remove from Google Chrome
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the unwanted components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings.
Delete from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of SilkTopic mac registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
How to prevent from getting mac viruses
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.