Stormstone.top ads Removal Guide
What is Stormstone.top ads?
Stormstone.top tricks people into allowing push notifications by using social engineering
Pop-up ads can lead to dangerous pages from rogue advertising networks
Stormstone.top is a bogus website intended to dupe users into subscribing to push notifications. Through pay-per-click advertising, it generates revenue for crooks. To watch a video, users are told they must first click the “Allow” button. However, aside from the deceptive message, there is no other content on this website.
People begin to be bombarded with annoying pop-up ads, which can appear even when the browser is closed. Rogue advertising networks may be responsible for the pop-ups. Users may end up on spam sites by clicking on links embedded in the ads, where they may be tricked into downloading PUPs (potentially unwanted programs) or malware.
|TYPE||Push notification spam; adware|
|SYMPTOMS||Pop-up ads start appearing in the corner of the screen after the “Allow” button is pressed|
|DISTRIBUTION||Shady websites, deceptive ads, redirects, freeware installations|
|DANGERS||Links embedded in the push notifications can lead to dangerous websites where users can be tricked into providing their personal information and suffer from monetary losses|
|ELIMINATION||Users can block push notifications via browser settings|
|FURTHER STEPS||It is recommended to use a repair tool like FortectIntego after the removal to fix any remaining damage|
How to avoid pop-up spam?
We recommend only visiting websites you know and trust to avoid pages like Stormstone.top. Do not click on random links and advertisements, even if they appear to promote legitimate products and services. Use legitimate streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu. They have a low monthly subscription fee and allow users to consume as much content as they want.
It is possible that the fraudulent website appeared on its own. This can occur if you are infected with adware. It is typically distributed via freeware platforms that many users trust. However, they frequently include in the installers additional programs that monetize user activity.
Install applications only from trusted sources to avoid adware infections
Clear your browsers
It is strongly advised to clear your browsers after visiting such a website. Cookies can be used by websites to collect information such as your IP address, geolocation, websites you visit, links you click on, and items you purchase online. They can be sold to advertising networks and other third parties to generate revenue.
To resolve this issue, we recommend using a maintenance tool such as FortectIntego. This powerful software can automatically delete cookies and cache. It can also repair serious system errors with a single mouse click, which is especially useful after a virus infection.
How to block push notifications?
Because push notifications are subscription-based, they can be turned on and off only manually. We have a detailed guide for the most popular browsers below:
Google Chrome (desktop):
- Open Google Chrome browser and go to Menu > Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Locate the Privacy and security section and pick Site Settings > Notifications.
- Look at the Allow section and look for a suspicious URL.
- Click the three vertical dots next to it and pick Block. This should remove unwanted notifications from Google Chrome.
Google Chrome (Android):
- Open Google Chrome and tap on Settings (three vertical dots).
- Select Notifications.
- Scroll down to Sites section.
- Locate the unwanted URL and toggle the button to the left (Off setting).
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to Menu > Options.
- Click on Privacy & Security section.
- Under Permissions, you should be able to see Notifications. Click Settings button next to it.
- In the Settings – Notification Permissions window, click on the drop-down menu by the URL in question.
- Select Block and then click on Save Changes. This should remove unwanted notifications from Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Websites tab and, under General, select Notifications.
- Select the web address in question, click the drop-down menu and select Deny.
- Open Microsoft Edge, and click the Settings and more button (three horizontal dots) at the top-right of the window.
- Select Settings and then go to Advanced.
- Under Website permissions, pick Manage permissions and select the URL in question.
- Toggle the switch to the left to turn notifications off on Microsoft Edge.
MS Edge (Chromium):
- Open Microsoft Edge, and go to Settings.
- Select Site permissions.
- Go to Notifications on the right.
- Under Allow, you will find the unwanted entry.
- Click on More actions and select Block.
Check your PC for adware
Unwanted browser behavior can also be caused by adware. Sometimes pages like Stormstone.top show up without any user input at all. Adware can cause an increased amount of commercial content, like pop-ups, banners, and redirects. Many of them are disguised as “handy” tools so they would be more difficult to identify for average users.
That is why having professional security tools like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes is essential. Anti-malware solutions can scan the machine and detect suspicious processes running in the background. Besides, it can prevent such infections by warning users about dangerous files trying to enter the system.
However, if you still want to do this yourself, you can follow our step-by-step instructions for Windows and Mac machines:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
How to prevent from getting adware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.