Test-iq.xyz ads (fake) - Free Instructions
Test-iq.xyz ads Removal Guide
What is Test-iq.xyz ads?
Test-iq.xyz is designed to trick people into subscribing to push notifications
Pop-up ads may lead to dangerous websites that exploit users
Test-iq.xyz is a dubious website operated by crooks. It is designed to generate revenue from pay-per-click advertising. Fraudsters use social engineering methods to trick people into subscribing to push notifications. Users are asked to press the “Allow” button to confirm that they are not robots.
However, this is not a real human verification process. Instead, users start getting spammed with annoying pop-up ads that can appear even when the browser is closed. Crooks may use rogue advertising networks that place ads leading to dangerous websites.
As a result, people may end up on scam sites that try to lure out personal information or trick them into installing PUPs (potentially unwanted programs), and even malware. Some users report seeing ads promoting adult sites, fake antivirus offers, surveys, giveaways, etc.
|TYPE||Push notification spam; adware|
|SYMPTOMS||Pop-up ads start appearing in the corner of the screen after the “Allow” button is pressed|
|DISTRIBUTION||Shady websites, deceptive ads, redirects, freeware installations|
|DANGERS||Links embedded in the push notifications can lead to dangerous websites where users can be tricked into providing their personal information and suffer from monetary losses|
|ELIMINATION||Users can block push notifications via browser settings|
|FURTHER STEPS||It is recommended to use a repair tool like RestoroIntego after the removal to fix any remaining damage|
Scam websites like Test-iq.xyz are usually hidden on other shady sites that are unregulated. For example, illegal streaming websites are full of deceptive ads and sneaky redirects. They may also display fake “Download” and “Play buttons that lead to deceptive pages.
You should also be aware that the appearance of shady pages can be caused by adware. It is advertising-supported software that can cause an increased amount of commercial content, like pop-ups, banners, and redirects. It is usually spread on freeware distribution platforms.
Try to only visit sites that you know and trust to avoid scammers
How to protect your privacy
After an encounter with such a website, it is strongly recommended to clear your browsers. Websites can use various tracking technologies to collect data like your IP address, geolocation, websites you visit, links you click on, and things you purchase online.
Cookies are generally used to personalize the user experience by showing relevant results, etc. However, they can also be used to generate revenue by selling them to advertising networks, and other third parties. We suggest you run an automatic maintenance tool like RestoroIntego. It can delete cookies and cache automatically.
Block notifications from Test-iq.xyz
Because push notifications are subscription-based, they can be turned on and off only manually. We have a detailed guide for the most popular browsers below:
Google Chrome (desktop):
- Open Google Chrome browser and go to Menu > Settings.
- Scroll down and click on Advanced.
- Locate the Privacy and security section and pick Site Settings > Notifications.
- Look at the Allow section and look for a suspicious URL.
- Click the three vertical dots next to it and pick Block. This should remove unwanted notifications from Google Chrome.
Google Chrome (Android):
- Open Google Chrome and tap on Settings (three vertical dots).
- Select Notifications.
- Scroll down to Sites section.
- Locate the unwanted URL and toggle the button to the left (Off setting).
- Open Mozilla Firefox and go to Menu > Options.
- Click on Privacy & Security section.
- Under Permissions, you should be able to see Notifications. Click Settings button next to it.
- In the Settings – Notification Permissions window, click on the drop-down menu by the URL in question.
- Select Block and then click on Save Changes. This should remove unwanted notifications from Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Websites tab and, under General, select Notifications.
- Select the web address in question, click the drop-down menu and select Deny.
- Open Microsoft Edge, and click the Settings and more button (three horizontal dots) at the top-right of the window.
- Select Settings and then go to Advanced.
- Under Website permissions, pick Manage permissions and select the URL in question.
- Toggle the switch to the left to turn notifications off on Microsoft Edge.
MS Edge (Chromium):
- Open Microsoft Edge, and go to Settings.
- Select Site permissions.
- Go to Notifications on the right.
- Under Allow, you will find the unwanted entry.
- Click on More actions and select Block.
Scan your system for adware
Unwanted browser behavior can also be caused by adware. Sometimes pages like Test-iq.xyz show up without any user input at all. If you completed the previous steps but still experience an increased amount of commercial content, like pop-ups, banners, and redirects, proceed with this step.
Most PUPs are disguised as “handy” tools so they would be more difficult to identify for average users. That is why having professional security tools like SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes is essential. A PC without an antivirus is like a home without a door. Anti-malware solutions can scan the machine and detect suspicious processes running in the background.
Besides, it can prevent such infections by warning users about dangerous files trying to enter the system. However, if you still want to do this yourself, you can follow our step-by-step instructions for Windows and Mac machines:
- Enter Control Panel into Windows search box and hit Enter or click on the search result.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- From the list, find the entry of the suspicious program.
- Right-click on the application and select Uninstall.
- If User Account Control shows up, click Yes.
- Wait till uninstallation process is complete and click OK.
- Click on Windows Start > Control Panel located on the right pane (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- In Control Panel, select Programs > Uninstall a program.
- Pick the unwanted application by clicking on it once.
- At the top, click Uninstall/Change.
- In the confirmation prompt, pick Yes.
- Click OK once the removal process is finished.
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for all related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove an unwanted app, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
How to prevent from getting adware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.
- ^ Zeljka Zorz. How does a rogue ad network function?.
- ^ Chris Hoffman. PUPs Explained: What is a “Potentially Unwanted Program”?. Howtogeek. Technology Magazine.
- ^ Adware. Malwarebytes. Cybersecurity Basics.