Linkey is a browser plugin, which can be downloaded from the Internet. However, in most of the cases it sneaks inside computers in a bundle with freeware and shareware as a ‘free addition’ or ‘additional download’. In order to avoid this, so you have to pay more attention to the installation process of such programs and find this check mark that says that you agree to install Linkey on your computer. When this program enters the system, it shows up on all web browsers that are installed on it. That’s because it's compatible with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox browsers. Technically, Linkey is not a virus. However, it may start acting up by displaying continuous pop-up advertisements, initiating browser’s redirections and causing similar things. In order to avoid that, you should remove Linkey.
HOW CAN LINKEY INFILTRATE MY COMPUTER?
We have already mentioned how people are tricked into installing this adware on their computers when downloading freeware and shareware. If you missed the check mark that says ‘I agree to install Linkey on my computer’, you will find this program on each of your web browsers. Besides, it may also alter your start page and default search engine to linkeyproject.com and initiate other system changes. However, the most important thing about Linkey is that it may be set to track people's browsing activity and collect such information as computer’s IP address, browser’s type, cookie information and similar. If you noticed that your start page was changed to Linkeyproject.com, you should check your PC for this adware. For that you can follow a guide below:
HOW TO REMOVE LINKEY?
If you were tricked into downloading Linkey, please follow these instructions and remove this freeware from the system:
- Uninstall all programs that are related to Linkey:
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs (or Add/Remove Programs) -> Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Linkey and similar entries.
- Click 'Uninstall' and OK to save the changes.
- Fix each of your browsers:
- Open Internet Explorer, go ‘Tools‘ -> ”Manage Add-ons’ -> ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall Linkey and other unknown extensions.
- Click ''Tools' -> 'Manage addons' -> ‘Search Providers’ and choose the search engine you used before.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Add-ons’ -> ‘Extensions’; find Linkey and similar entries and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Options’ and reset the startup homepage to google.com, yahoo.com or similar search page.
- Click the Chrome menu button, select 'Tools' -> 'Extensions', find Linkey and other unknown extensions, and remove them by clicking Recycle bin.
- Now click 'Settings' -> 'Manage search engines' and change your default search engine.
It might be that we are affiliated with any of our recommended products. Full disclosure can be found in our Agreement of Use.
and Agreement of Use
QR code for Linkey removal instructions:
QR is short for Quick Response. They can be read quickly by the mobile phones. QR codes can store more data than standard barcodes, including url links, geo coordinates, and text.
The reason we add QR code to the website is that parasites like Linkey are really hard to remove on infected computer.
you can quicly scan the QR code with your mobile device and have manual removal instructions to uninstall Linkey right in your pocket.
Simply use the QR scanner and read removal instructions from mobile device.