What is Linkey?
Linkey by Aztec Media Inc. is a browser plugin, which can be downloaded from the Internet for free. However, in most of the cases it sneaks inside computers in a bundle with freeware and shareware as a ‘free addition’ or ‘additional download’. There is no surprise why it does that - it has been added to tens of different freewares as sharewares. In order to avoid this, so you have to pay more attention to the installation process of such programs and find this check mark that says that you agree to install Linkey on your computer. If Linkey virus manages to enter its target PC system, it shows up on all web browsers that are installed on it. That’s because it's compatible with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and other well browsers. In addition, it starts collecting data that is related to victim's search sessions and then begins to display annoying pop-up ads. After clicking them, you may be redirected to its affiliate sites, such as default-search.net or bing.com, that seek to increase their page rank or sales. If you don't want to be tricked into visiting unknown, unsafe, questionable and suspicious places, you should remove Linkey from your computer.
To sum up, this program technically is not a virus but it is clear that it is capable of initiating various issues for PC users. No matter that it claims that it is capable of improving one's browsing on the Internet, you should be very careful with Linkey adware. It may start acting up by displaying continuous pop-up advertisements, initiating browser’s redirections or slow downs and causing similar unwanted things. In order to avoid that, you should remove this browser add-on. For that we highly recommend using SpyHunter or other reputable anti-spyware that is capable of finding and eliminating such apps without a delay.
HOW CAN LINKEY HIJACK MY COMPUTER?
We have already mentioned how people are tricked into installing this adware on their computers. It can be downloaded voluntarily or it may show up on the system after downloading freeware and shareware. If you think that you have already missed the check mark that says ‘I agree to install Linkey on my computer’, you will find this program on each of your web browsers. Besides, it may also alter your start page and default search engine to linkeyproject.com and initiate other system changes. However, the most important thing about Linkey is that it may be set to track people's browsing activity and collect such information as computer’s IP address, browser’s type, cookie information and similar. In order to avoid that, you should start monitoring installation of every freeware. Please, select only Custom or Advanced installation when downloading video streaming software, download managers and similar applications. If you have just noticed that your start page was changed to Linkeyproject.com, you should check your PC for this adware. For that you can follow a guide below:
HOW TO REMOVE LINKEY virus?
If you were tricked into downloading Linkey, please follow these instructions and remove this freeware from the system:
You can remove Linkey automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Linkey Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Linkey and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Linkey or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Linkey or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: Uninstall Linkey from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 3
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Linkey and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Linkey removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Linkey and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Linkey removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Linkey and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Linkey removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Linkey or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Linkey removal process.
Step 3: Complete Linkey removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Linkey registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Linkey
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.