How can I get infected with Snap.do and should I stay away from it?
Snap.do virus (or search.snap.do virus, Resoft Smartbar, etc.) is a malicious search engine which showed up and struck the Internet several years ago. This browser hijacker can easily hijack Windows and Mac OS X systems without an appropriate permission asked, so there is no surprise that it has initiated hundreds of various discussions. Those who have been using this corrupted search engine instead of their start page and the default search engine should know that it cannot show them reliable search results. Just like any other redirect virus, it tends to display corrupted search results for trying to redirect its victims to sponsored websites. If you noticed snap.do redirect problem during your search sessions, you should check your PC with reliable anti-spyware because it’s one of the most obvious signs showing that your PC was hijacked.
If this potentially unwanted program manages to do that, it alters each of your web browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, etc. As we have already mentioned, it changes the start page and the default search engine and starts initiating annoying redirects to http://search.snap.do/?a=ThAM4wVlRt and similar pages. You can also notice slowdowns, pop-up ads and similar inconveniences while having this browser hijacker on your computer. Finally, we feel that we must warn those PC users who have been taking this search engine seriously and using it or any of Resoft Ltd. programs for their searches. Please, take into account that this search site can easily redirect you to an insecure website filled with malicious links. Besides, it may also cause system slowdowns, hijack your homepage or default search engine and do other things that are mostly known as “unwanted”. To prevent them, you have to remove Snap.do Toolbar and other components of this browser hijacker from your computer.
How does this virus infect systems?
In most of the cases, snap.do hijack is initiated with a help of other malicious programs. However, there are lots of people who have been tricked into downloading it thru legitimate programs as well. Beware that you may easily install this program on your computer in a bundle with free programs. In order to avoid that, you should avoid illegal programs because they may be filled with malicious components. Of course, we must also recommend you to be very careful when downloading freeware and shareware. If you think that you really need one or other program, you should select Custom or Advanced installation process because it will help you to see what ‘optional’ components are hiding inside. If snap.do manages to get inside the system, it can easily hijack all popular web browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and IE. After that, you may notice redirects to unknown websites, annoying pop-up ads and system slow downs. By the way, just like any other browser hijacker, this application may start tracking your browsing habits. Here’s what the developers of this program claim about it:
Statistical Information we collect (……) including, inter alia, advertisements viewed, pages browsed, search inquiries, offers and services that interest you, the type of browser you are using, your IP address, the URL you have come from and the time spent at that URL, cookies and your domain type and server.
Snap.do removal process:
If you want to remove snap.do virus form your computer and protect yourself from further cyber infections, you should immediately run one of those programs that are mentioned in the Automatic virus removal guide. Remember that only updated versions can help you find malicious files and remove them from the system! The second option that could help you fix your computer is manual removal guide which is listed below. However, we must warn you that it is hard to find all components of this complicated browser hijacker manually and you must be very careful while following a guide given below. In order to remove snap.do for good, you should use automatic removal option.
You can remove Snap.do automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Snap.do manual removal:
Manual Snap.do Removal Guide:
Remove Snap.do from Windows systems
To uninstall Snap.do virus and prevent its reappearance in the future, you need to remove every element of this browser hijacker, including SnapDo toolbar, Snap.Do Updated, Shopping Helper Smartbar, Saving Expert Smartbar and entries by ReSoft Ltd.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Snap.do and related programs
Here, look for Snap.do or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Snap.do from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Snap.do from Mac OS X system
To prevent Snap.do redirects in the future, you have to remove each of its components. Make sure you uninstall Snap.do, SnapDo toolbar, Snap.Do Updated, Shopping Helper Smartbar, Saving Expert Smartbar and additional programs created by ReSoft Ltd.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Snap.do or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Remove Snap.do from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Snap.do and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Snap.do removal.
Remove Snap.do from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Snap.do and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Snap.do removal.
Remove Snap.do from Google Chrome
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Snap.do and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Snap.do removal.
Remove Snap.do from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Snap.do or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Snap.do, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Snap.do removal process.