Apple.com-scan-macbook.live – a Mac-based pop-up scam that alerts about e.tre456_worm_osx malware
Apple.com-scan-macbook.live is a fake pop-up scam which bombards Mac users with false virus alerts. The message claims that there were three viruses detected one of which appears to be a Trojan horse named Apple.com-scan-macbook.live. A more legitimate look is given to the message by making it look like it is coming from Apple itself. However, all this information about system damage and the need for immediate repairing is just a trick to convince users to press the “Scan now” button. If you do click on this option, you will supposedly be redirected to a page or a new window that promotes questionable computer cleaning software, e.g. Mac Keeper. Additionally, users have been complaining about very similar scams that claim almost the same as in this one, however, they admit that the AppleCare Protection Plan logo truly does give a legitimate look to the pop-up message and it is easy to get tricked by it.
Not only that Apple.com-scan-macbook.live pop-up scam drops a particular message once entering a certain type of web page, but also this type of text appears and warns about a trojan detected:
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
We have detected a trojan virus (e.tre456_worm_osx) on your Mac.
Press OK to begin the repair process.
As we have already mentioned, Apple.com-scan-macbook.live pop-up has the intention to show up on rogue and protection-lacking websites. If this is the case, you should stop visiting these types of sites which are causing the scam to appear or get Adblock Plus adblocking tool which also might prevent various misleading pop-ups from appearing on the screen.
|The cause||This message might be caused by a potentially unwanted program or found on certain websites|
|Purpose||To promote misleading computer software and gain income from users' purchases|
|Fake trojan||e.tre456_worm_osx is the most harmful infection presented by the fake message|
|Computer scanning software||Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner|
|Removal process||You can eliminate the unwanted content by using specific tools or manual instructions|
However, if Apple.com-scan-macbook.live keeps on showing up frequently not only while browsing on unprotected websites, there might be some type of potentially dangerous software or rogue content installed on your machine that might be forcing the pop-up message to show up and display whenever you are trying to perform browsing sessions.
In this case, you will need to scan your entire computer system with a reputable program and try to discover the cause of this pop-up scam. Mostly, adware programs are expected to be the ones that are provoking such activity. You can perform a full system scan with a tool such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego and then remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from the Mac system.
Apple.com-scan-macbook.live virus might also slow down your browsing activity if it starts producing misleading and intrusive notifications frequently. Additionally, the potentially unwanted program which is forcing this scam to show up might also leave rogue content in your web browser applications, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari.
Apple.com-scan-macbook.live removal is the best thing you can do if you are dealing with the pop-up scam. It can be performed automatically by using specific computer software or by performing the step-by-step guide that is provided at the end of this article. If you choose manual elimination, ensure that web browsers are also fully cleaned from adware-related content.
Apple.com-scan-macbook.live is a false pop-up which might occur on unprotected websites or be caused by a potentially unwanted program
Potentially unwanted content can be distributed through bundles
According to computer specialists from Virusai.lt, you can get your system infected with potentially unwanted programs or even malicious objects by completing downloads from free sources. Networks such as Torrents or The Pirate Bay do not fit the recommended security requirements, are illegitimate, and might include malware or suspicious content.
For further control of your downloads, make sure that you pick the Custom or Advanced configuration mode rather than choosing the Quick mode. Various Quick & Recommended modes allow rogue content to slip in the system without even being investigated, while, by using the Custom configuration you can always keep an eye on incoming programs.
Last but not least, it is very important to take care of automatical computer protection too. For this purpose, choose a reliable antivirus program and download it to your system. If you make sure that it is always updated properly, the program will definitely appear handy to you by allowing to perform full system scans and providing daily threat protection.
Apple.com-scan-macbook.live needs to be removed from Mac to achieve fast system performance
Various pop-up scams are intruders which interrupt browsing sessions and might slowdown both browsing and computing work. Apple.com-scan-macbook.live virus is not an exception. This cyber threat is supposedly caused by a potentially unwanted program if you are dealing with its appearance frequently and needs to be removed after discovery.
To remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live, you can use anti-malware software or complete elimination steps by performing the below-written manual removal guide. However, if you lack confidence in the virus removal field, we recommend postponing the solution of manual elimination for possible future threats and leaning on reputable tools.
The Apple.com-scan-macbook.live removal needs to be completed safely and effectively, otherwise, there is a risk that the potentially unwanted program might renew itself through the components that have not been eliminated and are still lurking on the user's computer or are still installed in web browser applications.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner Intego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live, follow these steps:
Remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Mac OS X system
Clean your Mac computer system from suspicious components and make sure that no rogue processes are running and no “helper objects” are remaining active:
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for Apple.com-scan-macbook.live-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove Apple.com-scan-macbook.live, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to Apple.com-scan-macbook.live and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the Apple.com-scan-macbook.live-related entries.
Uninstall Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Internet Explorer (IE)
Remove dangerous add-ons:
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top-right corner of the browser
- Pick Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Apple.com-scan-macbook.live and other suspicious plugins. Click on these entries and select Disable.
Change your homepage if it was altered:
- Open IE and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, delete the Home page address and replace it by your preferred one (for example, Google.com).
- Click Apply and then select OK.
Delete temporary files:
- Press on the Gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Under Browsing history, click Delete…
- Select relevant fields and press Delete.
Reset Internet Explorer:
- Click on Gear icon > Internet options and select Advanced tab.
- Select Reset.
- In the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Apple.com-scan-macbook.live removal.
Erase Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
If you have spotted some unexpected changes in Mozilla Firefox, you can easily reverse them and bring your web browser back to its previous state by looking through this guide:
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to Apple.com-scan-macbook.live and click Remove.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
In case Apple.com-scan-macbook.live did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete Apple.com-scan-macbook.live removal.
Eliminate Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Google Chrome
Use this below-given instructing guide to remove all adware-added extensions from your Google Chrome web browser application:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to Apple.com-scan-macbook.live by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
If the above-methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the Apple.com-scan-macbook.live-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete Apple.com-scan-macbook.live removal.
Get rid of Apple.com-scan-macbook.live from Safari
Clean the Safari web browser application from suspicious adware-related content by using these instructions. Potentially unwanted programs are capable of injecting questionable extensions which need to be removed:
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension related to Apple.com-scan-macbook.live and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. It is a hassle when your website is protected from suspicious connections and unauthorized IP addresses.
The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address. If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for server or network manager that need to monitor connections and activities. This is how you bypass some of the authentications factors and can remotely use your banking accounts without triggering suspicious with each login.
VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world. It is better to clock the access to your website from different IP addresses. So you can keep the project safe and secure when you have the dedicated IP address VPN and protected access to the content management system.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.