FuckSociety virus Removal Guide
What is FuckSociety ransomware virus?
FuckSociety ransomware: what is it and what to expect from it?
The newly discovered FuckSociety virus is a new version of Fs0ci3ty ransomware and FSociety ransomware. The developers of this ransomware spread it via malicious spam emails and use various social engineering and phishing strategies to convince users to open an infected email attachment. If victims open a provided document, FuckSociety ransomware gets inside the computer and starts damaging files using ESA-4096 encryption algorithm. It is still unknown what specific files it targets; however, victims report that all their pictures, documents, and other popular file types have been encrypted. Virus appends a .dll file extension to all corrupted records. This file extension stands for Dynamic-link Library File; therefore, you should be careful with virus elimination and data recovery, because you might accidentally delete important files that are important for running Windows OS. We strongly recommend employing a professional malware elimination program such as ReimageIntego or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner for FuckSociety removal.
Once the data encryption is over, the virus drops a ransom note called DECRYPT_YOUR_FILES.HTML. Here victims can learn more about RSA encryption and possibilities to decrypt their files. Hackers give victims 5 days to pay the ransom; otherwise, all their records will be deleted. Criminals inform that other attempts to restore files will make data recovery impossible because hackers would not help victims anymore. However, if FuckSociety ransomware virus damaged your files, do not let crooks blackmail you and convince paying the money. However, if you consider paying the ransom, you should understand the risk. Hackers might disappear after receiving the payment because collecting money illegally is the main purpose of the ransomware viruses. There’s a chance that you will get the decryption tool, but you cannot be sure if it’s safe to use. With decrypted files, you may install additional malware. Therefore, it’s better to remove FuckSociety from the PC and try additional data recovery methods, for instance, use data backups.
Malware transmission techniques
Creators of the ransomware use various malware distribution strategies. FuckSociety virus spreads all around the world but mostly targets English-speaking countries via malicious spam email campaigns. Hackers use persuasive techniques to convince users to open an infected email attachment. Once they do it, the virus gets inside the PC. This transmission method is the most popular; however, FuckSociety ransomware might infect a computer with the help of payload files and Trojans. If you haven’t encountered file-encrypting virus yet and do not want to meet them in the future, make sure you take precautions. Avoid file-sharing networks; do not open any suspicious links or attachments that you receive in email or social media; do not install or update software from advertisements.
Guidelines for FuckSociety elimination
If Fuck Society virus attacked your PC and files, you should not waste your time and learn how to transfer Bitcoins. Ransomware viruses are dangerous and make your computer even more vulnerable; as a result, other malware might sneak inside and damage your PC even more. The first thing you have to do after the attack is to initiate FuckSociety removal. However, do not think about eliminating virus manually. Ransomware is capable of creating entries in Windows Registry; therefore, if you are not an IT expert, you may delete important files. Remove malware with professional and updated malware removal tools. We recommend choosing one of these: ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes. Once you ran a full system scan and wiped out the virus, you can try to restore your files from data backups. Unfortunately, there’re no free decryption tools created yet; however, they might be developed soon. Meanwhile, you can try additional data recovery options that are described below. But don’t forget that you have to remove FuckSociety first!
Getting rid of FuckSociety virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove FuckSociety using System Restore
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of FuckSociety. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove FuckSociety from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If you have already removed FuckSociety from the computer, you can try to restore your files. Malware researchers haven’t created a free decryption tool yet; therefore, the only effective way for data recovery is to use data backups. If you have backups, plugin the external device to the PC and copy necessary items. However, if you do not have them, check additional methods provided below. We cannot assure that they will be effective 100%, but hopefully, you will recover at least some of your important files.
If your files are encrypted by FuckSociety, you can use several methods to restore them:
Retrieve files encrypted by FuckSociety virus using Data Recovery Pro tool
Data Recovery Pro might be a helpful tool to restore files after ransomware attack. This tool has been created for recovering deleted or corrupted files. To use this program, follow the steps below:
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by FuckSociety ransomware;
- Restore them.
Restore individual files encrypted by FuckSociety ransomware using Windows Previous Versions feature
This method might help you to recover at least some of your important files. Keep in mind that this option allows decrypting only individual files and only then if System Restore function was enabled on your PC before the attack.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Recover encrypted files using ShadowExplorer
FuckSociety malware might have deleted Shadow Volume Copies from Windows OS; however, it may have failed as well. If it hasn’t deleted them, follow the steps below:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
FuckSociety decrypter is not available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from FuckSociety and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.