Levis Locker ransomware / virus (Virus Removal Instructions)
Levis Locker virus Removal Guide
What is Levis Locker ransomware virus?
Defining Levis Locker ransomware virus
Levis Locker virus is a brand new ransomware-type virus that is still under the investigation. Malware spreads via malicious email attachments and after infiltration scans computer system for the targeted file types. Once it finds them, it encrypts them using a sophisticated algorithm and delivers the lock screen. In the lock screen, the developers of the Levis Locker ransomware informs that victim’s computer has been locked due to some illegal activities online. People are accused of viewing content that is related to child pornography, rape, and other adult-themed content. For this reason, users are supposed to pay $500. Even though you have secretly visited some websites for adults, you should not believe in this blackmail. Instead of reaching for your credit card, start Levis Locker removal. It’s better to remove malware and lose your personal files than sponsor hackers’ illegal projects.
Paying the ransom often seems the only solution for people who are not so advanced in computers and technology. The lock screen also helps hackers to scare victims even more. However, in case of the ransomware attack, it’s important to stay sane and act smart. Keep in mind that Levis Locker ransomware is not a notification from the authorities or FBI and there’s no legal background to transfer demanded sum of money. Another problem that arises after ransomware attack is corrupted personal files. Victims, who have data backups, usually do not think about paying the ransom at all. However, the ones who have never backed up their files might be thinking about purchasing decryption key or software from the hackers. However, there are no guarantees that hackers give you a hand after receiving the payment. They might disappear because they achieved their goal – got your money. If you do not have data backups, you should still remove Levis Locker from the computer with the help of RestoroIntego and restore files using additional data recovery methods. You will find them at the end of the article.
How does ransomware infiltrate the system?
Talking about ransomware distribution techniques, we have to tell that there’s nothing new under the sun. Levis Locker malware spreads using the same distribution techniques as any other viruses in this category: malicious spam emails, exploit kits, malware-laden ads, file-sharing services, etc. Malicious emails are still the most effective and widely used malware distribution technique. Cyber criminals launched polished email campaigns that convince users to open infected email attachments. They are so good at it that victims do not notice grammar or spelling mistakes in the email supposedly sent from bank, governmental institution or well-known retailer. When you receive an email where you are asked to open attached document, you should not rush! Carefully read the email twice and look for mistakes and other warning signs, lack of credentials, senders email address and double check the information about him or her online. Be critical and do not trust everything you receive or see online. Every link or ad might include Levis Locker virus or any other ransomware that has been actively spreading for a while.
Guidelines how to remove Levis Locker from the computer
Malware elimination is not an easy task, especially for not so advanced computer users. We do not recommend or explain how to remove Levis Locker manually because this task is only for experienced IT specialist. Regular computer users must opt for automatic removal and remove malware with RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or other preferred reputable malware removal program. Malware has the lock screen function, so you might struggle with installing or updating necessary tools. Our team has prepared illustrated instructions that will help you to get access to the malware removal tools and wipe out this computer infection from the system. After Levis Locker removal, you can start thinking of data recovery solutions. Do you have data backups? If yes, you’re the lucky one who can simply get back all your files. If not, we recommend trying additional data recovery methods presented below. Probably, ransomware attack will be the painful lesson why it’s important to make backups.
Getting rid of Levis Locker virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Levis Locker using System Restore
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Levis Locker. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Levis Locker from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Levis Locker, you can use several methods to restore them:
Give Data Recovery Pro a try
If you do not have data backups, try Data Recovery Pro. It’s a professional tool that might help to restore some of your files.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Levis Locker ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions feature
If you have enabled System Restore function before ransomware attack, follow these steps:
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Data recover withShadowExplorer
If malware hasn’t deleted Shadow Volume Copies, use ShadowExplorer by following these steps:
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Levis Locker and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as RestoroIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.
- ^ Definition - What does Ransomware mean?. Technopedia. Website for IT professionals.
- ^ Forrest Stroud. Screen lock. Webopedia. Online Tech Dictionary for IT Professionals.
- ^ Ransomware on the Rise. FBI. Latest news and tips from the FBI.
- ^ Ian Paul. Three warning signs that email is malicious. PC World. IT News, Tips and Reviews.
- ^ Stefan Topfer. The Importance Of Data Backup. NASDAQ. Stock Quotes .