Omfl virus Removal Guide
What is Omfl ransomware?
Omfl virus is a malicious program made to lock all personal files on a Windows computer
Omfl ransomware is a virus that manages to affect various parts of the machine.
Omfl ransomware is a cryptovirus designed to encrypt all personal data on the computer and then demand ransom for its return. Once inside the system, it locks all personal pictures, videos, documents, archives, and other files by using the RSA encryption algorithm, which also appends a .omfl extension in the process. Victims can no longer access these files, and they also lose the regular icons, replacing them with blanks.
As soon as the encryption procedure is complete, the virus drops a ransom note _readme.txt – instructions from cybercriminals. It explains to victims what happened to their files and claims that the only method to return them is by paying a ransom for a decryption tool. For negotiation purposes, crooks also provide emails – email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Omfl virus belongs to a ransomware family known as Djvu. This particular malware is notorious within the cybersecurity field, and researchers have been investigating it since its release in 2017. So far, threat actors released at least 270 variants, the latest ones being Vpsh, Nobu, Booa. Unfortunately, the strain can only sometimes be decrypted with the help of Emsisoft's decryption tool – it only possible for victims whose data was locked with an online ID. Otherwise, decryption possibilities are limited, although always worth trying – we provide them below.
|Name||Omfl ransomware / .omfl virus|
|Malware family||Djvu/Stop ransomware|
|Extension||Files appended with .omfl extension|
|Distribution||File-locking malware mainly spreads around with the help of malicious files or links that redirect you to dangerous content online|
|File recovery||If no backups are available, recovering data is almost impossible. Nonetheless, we suggest you try the alternative methods: media file repair tool; Emsisofts't decryption option|
|Malware removal||Perform a full system scan with powerful security software and remove Omfl ransomware|
|System fix||Malware can seriously tamper with Windows systems, causing errors, crashes, lag, other issues. To repair the OS we recommend scanning it with the ReimageIntego tool|
While it is true that Omfl virus files require a unique decryption key to unlock them, experts recommend not paying the ransom, as cybercriminals might not keep their promises, resulting in financial losses. The ransom note contains various claims that should encourage people to pay up, but that should be ignored.
This malware only attacks Windows computers mostly by using software cracks downloaded from insecure sources, such as torrent sites. Once inside, it uses a powerful encryption algorithm to lock up all documents, archives, videos, music, and other files, adding .omfl extension to them. After that, ransomware delivers a ransom note text file, which includes instructions on how to recover the encrypted data.
According to virus authors, victims need to contact them via email and provide their personal ID. Once that is done, users should receive further instructions to proceed with the payment, provided in Bitcoin cryptocurrency. Nonetheless, we do not recommend contacting the attackers because they might not deliver the required decryption tool. Removing the virus and going for alternate methods is more reliable.
Omfl ransomware - threat that runs in the background masked as a process or a file.
Threats like this are known for accessing user machines without permission and encrypting all files on them. This way, cybercriminals behind the attack can ask for a ransom payment in return for a unique key. You should remove Omfl ransomware once you receive the message and make sure to clear the system.
The ransom note that ransomware creators deliver to victims:
Don't worry, you can return all your files!
All your files like pictures, databases, documents and other important are encrypted with strongest encryption and unique key.
The only method of recovering files is to purchase decrypt tool and unique key for you.
This software will decrypt all your encrypted files.
What guarantees you have?
You can send one of your encrypted file from your PC and we decrypt it for free.
But we can decrypt only 1 file for free. File must not contain valuable information.
You can get and look video overview decrypt tool:
Price of private key and decrypt software is $980.
Discount 50% available if you contact us first 72 hours, that's price for you is $490.
Please note that you'll never restore your data without payment.
Check your e-mail “Spam” or “Junk” folder if you don't get answer more than 6 hours.
To get this software you need write on our e-mail:
Reserve e-mail address to contact us:
Your personal ID:
You should focus on the proper Omfl ransomware removal process so the system is cleaned and the virus terminated fully. It is possible with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes or other anti-malware tools. This is how the detection of the malicious file shows where the infection is. Also, to remediate the system and ensure that it works well (some malware might corrupt Windows system files, making it crash, deliver errors, lag, etc.).
Unfortunately, the Omfl virus triggers other malicious processes within the computer, for example:
- Changes Windows registry database
- Deletes Shadow Volume Copies to prevent and easy file recovery
- Inserts malicious modules into browsers to gather sensitive data
- Alters Windows “hosts” file to prevent users from accessing security websites, such as 2-spyware, etc.
Due to this, malware elimination is one of the main priorities, although this should not be done until all the most important encrypted files are copied to another medium. Keep in mind that there is no malicious code stored within the encrypted files, so copying over is safe.
Omfl ransomware - a file-locking threat that demands payments for alleged decryption tool that should help with data restoration.
The decryption methods of .Omfl virus files
The system gets significantly affected, but the issue with this infection is not ending with Omfl ransomware encryption. The worst thing for the victim is to repair those files and other damage that the threat creates. You need to remember that decryption is not possible due to the newest changes criminals made to the coding.
.Omfl file virus is using an online ID creation method that makes this ransomware more dangerous and those files that get locked undecryptable. The key needed for the decryption of these files is created uniquely for each victim and the affected device, so researchers cannot help.
Virus decryption is only possible when the offline ID forming method is used, or the researcher releases a tool working for any encoded data. The best option is to remove the threat and rely on your file backups that can be helpful with your altered files. You can replace locked data using save copies. It is also possible to store some of the encoded files and other malware-related data on the external device, so you can wait for the official decryption tool release.
Remove Omfl ransomware virus by employing robust AV
The worst thing about this Omfl virus infection is its ability to lock all personal data on the infected device. However, without eliminating the virus, you cannot restore those files. However, if you have no backups to restore your data from, you should first copy it over to an external drive or another storage device in case the ultimate solution is provided by security researchers in the future.
Only after you backed your data, you can proceed with the Omfl ransomware removal with tools such as SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes, and then attempt to recover your data using alternative methods, such as Windows Previous Versions or third-party recovery tools. Emsisoft's decryptor might also help some victims, although it is unlikely to happen right away since victims with the same key need to contact security experts and share it with them so they could add it to the database of the tool. Thus, if the decryptor tells you that your files were encrypted with an offline ID, you might have a chance to restore them all in the future.
When you remove Omfl ransomware, other malware, and all the malicious modules, you should also employ ReimageIntego to repair your computer system files that might have been damaged during the infection process of the virus. This program can fix issues created by the malware-related processes.
Getting rid of Omfl virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Reboot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking and remove Omfl virus
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Omfl using System Restore
Try System Restore for the PC recovery
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Omfl. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Omfl from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Omfl, you can use several methods to restore them:
Rely on Data Recovery Pro and repair .omfl files
Make sure to try various options since some of them might work
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Omfl ransomware;
- Restore them.
Windows Previous Versions – feature for data restoring
When System Restore is enabled, you can try to repair data with Windows Previous Versions
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
ShadowExplorer – system feature for file recovery
Shadow Volume Copies, when not deleted, helps with file restoring after the ransomware attack
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Some decryption options are possible
You might try to repair the encoded files with Emsisofts't Djvu decryption tool
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Omfl and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.