Wannacrydecryptor.com virus Removal Guide
What is Wannacrydecryptor.com virus?
Wannacrydecryptor.com website offered to download a fake WannaCry decryptor
Wannacrydecryptor.com is a bogus website that offers to download a decryption software for WannaCry ransomware. Fortunately, the site is already down, and people can no longer use this fake service. The authors of the site offered to download a program called WCRY Remover v7.29 which was supposed to decrypt files encrypted by WannaCry. The website also provided information about this ransomware and explained data recovery procedure. The truth is this tool cannot help victims and decrypt their files. It’s a pure scam and people, who managed to install it, should remove Wannacrydecryptor.com immediately. This tool is a pure scam and developers are interested in getting the money from you. However, it might also have some malicious features and cause more problems. For instance, it might install other unwanted or dangerous applications, track information about you or even try to steal credit card details. Thus, do not hesitate and run a full system scan with ReimageIntego. It helps to perform Wannacrydecryptor.com removal quickly and safely.
The recent WannaCry attack allowed scammers to swindle the money quite easily from scared and uninformed victims. We want to point out that similar websites as Wannacrydecryptor.com might appear soon. If you are looking for a decryption solution, you should stay away from such sites. We want to point out that official WannaCry decryptor probably would be provided by one of the major security software providers. The news will be spread immediately because this cyber attack caused damage in 150 countries and affected public and private sectors, as well as hundreds of thousands of home computer users. Meanwhile, you should be patient and avoid chasing the luck with unknown decryption software. We can assure that it’s just a waste of money because you will buy and install a useless application that cannot restore your data. Besides, you might be tricked into purchasing malicious program and install other malware or data-stealing Trojans. As a result, you will lose not only your money but some private information as well. So-called Wannacrydecryptor.com virus is not a threat anymore; however, you should stay vigilant.
Wannacrydecryptor.com website offered to download a fake WannaCry decryptor. The website is currently down.
How does the information about fake decryptors spread?
Scammers know where to find people who have suffered from ransomware. It’s online forums and comment sections above articles providing the latest news from WannaCry camp. Here victims of ransomware are looking for data recovery solutions, sharing their tips and tricks how to beat this dangerous cyber threat. Thus, Wannacrydecryptor.com has been promoted using this simple technique. Crooks just tell that they found a tool that helped him and suggest it to others. Fortunately, the website is down, and panicked people are protected from this deceit. However, other fake decryptors might appear soon too. Bear in mind that downloading and purchasing software from unknown developers are extremely dangerous. Thus, do not risk your computer’s and personal privacy. Please, be patient and wait for the release of official WannaCry decryptor.
Removal of the Wannacrydecryptor.com virus
If you managed to install this suspicious decryptor, you should get rid of it immediately because it might cause danger to your device and personal privacy. You should be able to remove Wannacrydecryptor.com as well as other suspicious software, from the computer just like an ordinary program. Go to Control Panel, open Add/Remove Program (or Programs and Features) and in the list find the decryptor. Right-click on it and choose “Uninstall.” However, we also recommend scanning computer with ReimageIntego, Malwarebytes or SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner. Running a full system scan with professional malware removal program is necessary because you cannot be sure what hidden threats this fake decryptor might have. The automatic Wannacrydecryptor.com removal assures that all suspicious components are eliminated from your computer entirely. Besides, if you got infected with WannaCry, please check our prepared ransomware removal instructions below.
Getting rid of Wannacrydecryptor.com virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
If you got infected with WannaCry ransomware, you need to reboot your computer to the Safe Mode with Networking. It helps to disable the virus and install malware removal program. Once you install your chosen antivirus or anti-malware program, run a full system scan several times.
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Wannacrydecryptor.com using System Restore
System Restore method also helps to run automatic ransomware removal. Follow the steps below:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Wannacrydecryptor.com. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Wannacrydecryptor.com from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
The only safe way to restore encrypted files is data backups. If you have them, you can copy necessary files to the computer as soon as ransomware removal is over. Otherwise, you should try alternative recovery methods presented below.
If your files are encrypted by Wannacrydecryptor.com, you can use several methods to restore them:
Method 1. Data Recovery Pro
This professional software is designed to restore deleted, corrupted or encrypted files. Thus, if you do not have backups, you should give this tool a try.
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Wannacrydecryptor.com ransomware;
- Restore them.
Method 2. Windows Previous Versions feature
If System Restore function was activated before the WannaCry attack, you can use this feature to access previously saved versions of the encrypted files.
- Find an encrypted file you need to restore and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” and go to “Previous versions” tab;
- Here, check each of available copies of the file in “Folder versions”. You should select the version you want to recover and click “Restore”.
Method 3. ShadowExplorer
The WannaCry virus is known for deleting Shadow Volume Copies of the targeted files. However, if it fails for some reason, you can recover your files using ShadowExplorer.
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
WannaCry decryptor is not available yet.
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Wannacrydecryptor.com and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting malware
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.