Bkpx virus Removal Guide
What is Bkpx ransomware?
Bkpx ransomware is a cryptovirus that demands Bitcoins for encrypted users' data
Bkpx ransomware virus is a strain of the notorious Dharma ransomware.
Bkpx ransomware is a cyber threat that hails from a dangerous and popular ransomware family. Dharma ransomware has a lot of versions already, but right now it seems to be more active than ever because in a few weeks malware researchers discovered more than one new variant. Audit ransomware and Adobe ransomware are the most recent. Ransomware family has a few distinct features that are not changed since the start of this threat in 2016. Developers can release version after version with minor changes because ransom note is always placed in the same FILES ENCRYPTED.txt file and additional instructions on ransom payment methods get displayed on the screen in a pop-up program window Info.hta or Admin@decryption.biz. You can easily indicate which data got encrypted by the file extension added in a pattern – .id-.[Admin@decryption.biz].bkpx.
|Ransom note||FILES ENCRYPTED.txt|
|Elimination||Employ Malwarebytes for Bkpx ransomware removal|
Bkpx ransomware virus is a cyber threat that distributes around the internet using emails with malicious file attachments. Unfortunately, these emails look legitimate and deceive the user that it is important to open and download a suggested file. These file attachments often pose as:
- Financial information;
- Order Confirmation.
Unfortunately, Bkpx ransomware distributes on the system when the user initiates malicious macros hidden on the Microsoft Word or Excel document. The malicious script installed from this file can be set to distribute direct ransomware or infect the system further with trojans or other malware.
When the Bkpx ransomware virus gets on the system, it starts the infiltration and cyber infection by altering system files, Windows Registry keys, various system features, functions, and programs. The main issue regarding these changes is the persistence of a malware and data recovery difficulty.
It becomes difficult to remove Bkpx ransomware because of the changed registry keys and altered functions of the security applications. Additionally, ransomware deletes system files responsible for data recovery options and this way influences if you can restore your data or not. However, paying the demanded ransom shouldn't be considered as a solution.
Bkpx ransomware as various other versions in the same family displays the ransom note in a text file named FILES ENCRYPTED.txt that reads the following:
all your data has been locked us
You want to return?
write email Admin@decryption.biz or email@example.com
This is a brief message from ransomware developers but a pop-up window presented later on with payment instructions has more information and individual ID that is used to indicate which victim is which. The ransom amount is stated in neither of these files but, in most cases, it depends on the number of data and how long does it take you to write hackers back.
But researchers recommend automatic Bkpx ransomware removal and data recovery instead of contacting cybercriminals. You should perform this procedure using Malwarebytes, and them employ ReimageIntego or similar PC repair tool and eliminate virus damage.
Bkpx ransomware is a cryptovirus that uses data encryption as a reason for a ransom demand.
Payload dropper gets activated via hyperlink or malicious file on the spam email
The main ransomware distribution technique is spam email campaigns because of social engineering-based tactics. This strategy allows to spread malware all over the world and achieve cyber infections quickly. Unfortunately, the malicious actor uses various techniques to trick people into opening these emails.
When you get an email that you weren't expecting to get, don't rush to open it because malicious hyperlink may initiate the download of a payload dropper. Also, MS documents attached to these emails can contain a suggestion to trigger macros and install files or even automatically load the malware on the system.
You can avoid these cyber infections if you pay more attention to these emails or scan the document before downloading and opening on the computer. Shortened hyperlinks can also be checked online to make sure that the purpose of it is not malicious.
Remove Bkpx ransomware and use professional tools for system cleaning
Make sure to employ reputable tools for Bkpx ransomware removal because choosing a good program like ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes can ensure the positive results of the virus termination. Also, you should reboot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking before a full system scan with an anti-malware program, so your tool can work properly.
Don't forget to remove Bkpx ransomware and double-check for additional intruders and virus damage after. This is a crucial step before attempting data recovery, especially. You can find a few additional tips on virus removal and data recovery processes below the article.
Getting rid of Bkpx virus. Follow these steps
Manual removal using Safe Mode
Enter the Safe Mode before a full system scan for a proper Bkpx ransomware removal. Follow the guide to know how:
Manual removal guide might be too complicated for regular computer users. It requires advanced IT knowledge to be performed correctly (if vital system files are removed or damaged, it might result in full Windows compromise), and it also might take hours to complete. Therefore, we highly advise using the automatic method provided above instead.
Step 1. Access Safe Mode with Networking
Manual malware removal should be best performed in the Safe Mode environment.
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start > Shutdown > Restart > OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 button (if that does not work, try F2, F12, Del, etc. – it all depends on your motherboard model) multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Right-click on Start button and select Settings.
- Scroll down to pick Update & Security.
- On the left side of the window, pick Recovery.
- Now scroll down to find Advanced Startup section.
- Click Restart now.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Go to Advanced options.
- Select Startup Settings.
- Press Restart.
- Now press 5 or click 5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking.
Step 2. Shut down suspicious processes
Windows Task Manager is a useful tool that shows all the processes running in the background. If malware is running a process, you need to shut it down:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Click on More details.
- Scroll down to Background processes section, and look for anything suspicious.
- Right-click and select Open file location.
- Go back to the process, right-click and pick End Task.
- Delete the contents of the malicious folder.
Step 3. Check program Startup
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open Windows Task Manager.
- Go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on the suspicious program and pick Disable.
Step 4. Delete virus files
Malware-related files can be found in various places within your computer. Here are instructions that could help you find them:
- Type in Disk Cleanup in Windows search and press Enter.
- Select the drive you want to clean (C: is your main drive by default and is likely to be the one that has malicious files in).
- Scroll through the Files to delete list and select the following:
Temporary Internet Files
- Pick Clean up system files.
- You can also look for other malicious files hidden in the following folders (type these entries in Windows Search and press Enter):
After you are finished, reboot the PC in normal mode.
Remove Bkpx using System Restore
System Restore is a feature that gives you an opportunity to recover the system in a previous state:
Step 1: Reboot your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Windows 7 / Vista / XP
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- When your computer becomes active, start pressing F8 multiple times until you see the Advanced Boot Options window.
- Select Command Prompt from the list
Windows 10 / Windows 8
- Press the Power button at the Windows login screen. Now press and hold Shift, which is on your keyboard, and click Restart..
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and finally press Restart.
- Once your computer becomes active, select Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt in Startup Settings window.
Step 2: Restore your system files and settings
- Once the Command Prompt window shows up, enter cd restore and click Enter.
- Now type rstrui.exe and press Enter again..
- When a new window shows up, click Next and select your restore point that is prior the infiltration of Bkpx. After doing that, click Next.
- Now click Yes to start system restore.
Bonus: Recover your dataGuide which is presented above is supposed to help you remove Bkpx from your computer. To recover your encrypted files, we recommend using a detailed guide prepared by 2-spyware.com security experts.
If your files are encrypted by Bkpx, you can use several methods to restore them:
Have no backups? Try Data Recovery Pro as an alternative
Data Recovery Pro is a great tool that gives you an opportunity to restore accidentally deleted files and encrypted data/GIS]
This feature works on Windows OS devices when System Restore is enabled before
- Download Data Recovery Pro;
- Follow the steps of Data Recovery Setup and install the program on your computer;
- Launch it and scan your computer for files encrypted by Bkpx ransomware;
- Restore them.
Make your data useful again with ShadowExplorer
When ransomware leaves Shadow Volume Copies untouched, you can employ ShadowExplorer for the job
- Download Shadow Explorer (http://shadowexplorer.com/);
- Follow a Shadow Explorer Setup Wizard and install this application on your computer;
- Launch the program and go through the drop down menu on the top left corner to select the disk of your encrypted data. Check what folders are there;
- Right-click on the folder you want to restore and select “Export”. You can also select where you want it to be stored.
Decryption tool is not available yet
Finally, you should always think about the protection of crypto-ransomwares. In order to protect your computer from Bkpx and other ransomwares, use a reputable anti-spyware, such as ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes
How to prevent from getting ransomware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.