TotalResults mac virus (Free Instructions)
TotalResults mac virus Removal Guide
What is TotalResults mac virus?
TotalResults virus only infects Mac machines and causes ad spam or hijacks the browser
Adload viruses specifically target Mac users
TotalResults is a mac virus that belongs to the Adload malware family. It has both hijacking and adware capabilities which means it can change the main browser settings, like the homepage, new tab address, and search engine. It can also cause an increased amount of commercial content, like pop-ups, banners, and redirects.
However, Adload adware is much more aggressive than adware developed to infect Windows machines. It can also automatically download PUPs (potentially unwanted programs), or even malware without the users' knowledge. Many people do not notice the infection until it has already started making changes.
The main file of the virus can be found in the “Applications” folder. We previously wrote about Adload variants, like LevelNight, CoordinatorOptimization, and UniversalSearchConsole. You may notice that they all look the same – a magnifier inside a green, teal, or grey circle background.
|TYPE||Adware, mac virus, browser hijacker|
|SYMPTOMS||Users get infected with the virus by installing free software from unofficial sources, fake updates, and clicking on deceptive ads|
|DISTRIBUTION||Homepage changed from default to some other search engine; increased amount of advertisements; unexpected redirects to shady websites; unseen files appear in the machine, and it becomes slower|
|DANGERS||Altered search results can lead to dangerous websites; pop-up ads might be promoting scams; the virus can automatically install other PUPs or even malware|
|ELIMINATION||Eliminating this Mac virus manually can be very tricky if you do not have experience. The easiest and most effective way would be to deploy a professional security tool SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes to scan your system and delete every unwanted file|
|FURTHER STEPS||RestoroIntego should be used to completely wipe out any data left and fix the remaining damage|
The fact that the mac virus can be found in the “Applications” folder does not mean that it is easy to remove – quite the opposite. It can use various evasion methods. For example, it generates multiple other files disguised as normal system files and scatters them across the machine to make it more difficult to eliminate for the average user.
Many people may also wonder how did it manage to sneak into the system. The truth is, the notion that macs cannot be infected is outdated. Adload developers are constantly looking for new ways to bypass Apple's own security system XProtect. That is why it is best e4to do everything you can to avoid virus infections.
If you want to avoid Adload infections it is best to only visit websites that you know and trust. Do not use Torrent websites, or peer-to-peer file-sharing platforms, and do not install “cracked” software. These platforms are unregulated so they are the perfect breeding ground for all kinds of malware.
Another way that users could have gotten infected with the TotalResults mac virus is through fake Flash Player updates. Even though Flash Player was discontinued in 2020 and replaced by HTML5, many still do not know this. If you encounter any page saying you need to update or install Flash Player, you should exit it immediately.
Fake Flash Player updates are one of the biggest reasons for mac virus infections
Hackers also like to use software vulnerabilities to deliver their malicious programs. It is extremely important to keep your operating system and software updated. Software developers regularly release security patches so you should install them as soon as they come out if you want to ensure the security of your device.
Some of the files can have a .plist extension which is a normal settings file, also known as a “properties file,” used by macOS applications. It contains properties and configuration settings for various programs, so you should not do this yourself unless you know what you are doing and what kind of .plist files you need to delete. The app uses various persistence techniques and drops many files across the system, which makes browser extension and application removal difficult.
To keep your mind at peace, we recommend using professional anti-malware tools SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes, which can detect unwanted programs and eradicate them. You also do not know if the virus installed any additional malicious programs so this is the safest method to ensure the system will be clean. If you still want to try and delete it manually, proceed with these steps:
- Open Applications folder
- Select Utilities
- Double-click Activity Monitor
- Here, look for suspicious processes related to adware and use Force Quit command to shut them down
- Go back to the Applications folder
- Find TotalResults in the list and move it to Trash.
If you are unable to shut down the related processes or can't move the app to Trash, you should look for malicious profiles and login items:
- Go to Preferences and select Accounts
- Click Login items and delete everything suspicious
- Next, pick System Preferences > Users & Groups
- Find Profiles and remove unwanted profiles from the list.
There are likely to be more .plist files hiding in the following locations – delete them all:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
The manual elimination process might not always result in full virus removal. Therefore, we still strongly suggest you perform a scan with security software.
Fix your browser
It is possible that TotalResults also collects browsing-related and sensitive information. Various scripts might be sending data to tracking servers. Some of the data that could be exposed is your IP address, user name, macOS and browsers' versions, an ID of the computer, items in the Applications folder, a list of installed agents, daemons, and system configuration profiles.
TotalResults adware also employs an unwelcome add-on that messes with the settings. After the dangerous files are eliminated from your system, you should take care of your browsers. You can get rid of cookies and cache automatically with the help of RestoroIntego. It will also fix any damaged files and system errors so you should notice an improvement in the machine's performance.
If you prefer doing this yourself without additional help, here are the instructions. Steps for other browsers you will find at the bottom of this article.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Cookies and website data:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
The simplest and quickest solution to this is completely resetting Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
Getting rid of TotalResults mac virus. Follow these steps
Remove from Google Chrome
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the unwanted components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings.
Remove from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not help, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox.
How to prevent from getting adware
Choose a proper web browser and improve your safety with a VPN tool
Online spying has got momentum in recent years and people are getting more and more interested in how to protect their privacy online. One of the basic means to add a layer of security – choose the most private and secure web browser. Although web browsers can't grant full privacy protection and security, some of them are much better at sandboxing, HTTPS upgrading, active content blocking, tracking blocking, phishing protection, and similar privacy-oriented features. However, if you want true anonymity, we suggest you employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN – it can encrypt all the traffic that comes and goes out of your computer, preventing tracking completely.
Lost your files? Use data recovery software
While some files located on any computer are replaceable or useless, others can be extremely valuable. Family photos, work documents, school projects – these are types of files that we don't want to lose. Unfortunately, there are many ways how unexpected data loss can occur: power cuts, Blue Screen of Death errors, hardware failures, crypto-malware attack, or even accidental deletion.
To ensure that all the files remain intact, you should prepare regular data backups. You can choose cloud-based or physical copies you could restore from later in case of a disaster. If your backups were lost as well or you never bothered to prepare any, Data Recovery Pro can be your only hope to retrieve your invaluable files.
- ^ Adware. Malwarebytes. Cybersecurity Basics.
- ^ Protecting against malware in macOS. Apple Platform Security.
- ^ Jamey Tucker. The dangers Adobe Flash Player pose for all computer users who still have it installed. Wrcbtv. Technology News.
- ^ Georgina Torbet. 5 Security Reasons Not to Download Cracked Software. Makeuseof. Home Security.