LevelNight mac virus Removal Guide
What is LevelNight mac virus?
LevelNight mac virus can start spamming users with ads or changing the browser settings
Adload is an aggressive form of adware that infects mac machines
LevelNight is a mac virus that belongs to the Adload malware family. It has adware and hijacking capabilities. However, mac adware is much more aggressive than adware developed to infect Windows machines. It can change the browser settings, like the homepage, new tab address, and search engine.
It may also cause an increased amount of commercial content like pop-ups, banners, and redirects. The ads may be displayed by rogue advertising networks that lead to dangerous pages. The most worrying thing is that this mac virus might automatically install PUPs (potentially unwanted programs), and malware without the users' knowledge.
|TYPE||Adware, browser hijacker, mac virus|
|SYMPTOMS||Changed homepage and new tab address, a different search engine; redirects to shady websites; unknown programs and browser tools installed|
|DISTRIBUTION||Fake software updates, deceptive ads, software installations from peer-to-peer file-sharing platforms|
|DANGERS||Altered search results can lead to dangerous websites; pop-up ads might be promoting scams; the virus can install other PUPs or even malware in the background|
|ELIMINATION||Eliminating this Mac virus manually can be complicated if you do not have experience. The most effective way to remove it is with a professional security tool that can scan your system to delete every related file|
|SYSTEM FIX||ReimageIntego should be used to completely wipe out any data left and fix the remaining damage|
We previously wrote about many other Adload viruses, like CoordinatorOptimization, UniversalSearchConsole, VictorSurge, etc. They all look very similar – an icon of a magnifier inside a green, teal, or grey background. The main file of the virus can be found in the “Applications” folder. However, that does not mean that it is easy to remove.
It generates many other files disguised as normal system files and scatters them across the machine in different folders. Another issue is that many people do not notice the infection until it is too late. Part of the reason why is the fact that Adload can bypass Apple's own security system XProtect.
It is a misconception that Mac computers cannot be infected. Adload developers are constantly looking for new ways to breach Apple's security system so users should take their security into their own hands and follow guidelines recommended by security experts.
Adload viruses generate multiple files to make elimination harder
There are many methods that cybercriminals use to spread mac viruses like LevelNight. Probably the most common one is fake Flash Player updates. Even though Flash Player was discontinued in 2020 and replaced by HTML5, many people still do not know this. Any websites urging you to update or install Flash Player are trying to trick you.
Another big problem is people installing “cracked” software from Torrent websites or peer-to-peer file-sharing platforms. These platforms are unregulated, so it is impossible to know if the packages you are downloading do not contain any malicious files.
It is best to choose official web stores and developer websites. Apps that get listed on app stores, have to go through an extensive review process. Even though it might get costly, this practice may save you money in the long run by keeping your system running smoothly.
Many people may also be unaware that hackers can use software vulnerabilities to deliver their malicious programs. That is why keeping your operating system and software updated is so important. Software developers regularly release security patches that should be installed immediately to ensure the safety of the system.
LevelNight mac virus removal
Some of the files can have a .plist extension which is a normal settings' file, also known as a “properties file,” used by macOS applications. It contains properties and configuration settings for various programs, so you should not do this yourself unless you know what you are doing and what kind of .plist files you need to delete. The app uses various persistence techniques and drops many files across the system, which makes browser extension and application removal difficult.
To keep your mind at peace, we recommend using professional anti-malware tools SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes, which can detect unwanted programs and eradicate them. You also do not know if the virus installed any additional malicious programs so this is the safest method to ensure the system will be clean.
If you still want to try and delete it manually, proceed with these steps:
- Open Applications folder
- Select Utilities
- Double-click Activity Monitor
- Here, look for suspicious processes related to adware and use Force Quit command to shut them down
- Go back to the Applications folder
- Find LevelNight in the list and move it to Trash.
If you are unable to shut down the related processes or can't move the app to Trash, you should look for malicious profiles and login items:
- Go to Preferences and select Accounts
- Click Login items and delete everything suspicious
- Next, pick System Preferences > Users & Groups
- Find Profiles and remove unwanted profiles from the list.
There are likely to be more .plist files hiding in the following locations – delete them all:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the related .plist files.
The manual elimination process might not always result in full virus removal. Therefore, we still strongly suggest you perform a scan with security software.
Fix browser settings
It is possible that LevelNight also collects browsing-related and sensitive information. Various scripts might be sending data to tracking servers. Some of the data that could be exposed is your IP address, user name, macOS and browsers' versions, an ID of the computer, items in the Applications folder, a list of installed agents, daemons, and system configuration profiles.
LevelNight adware also employs an unwelcome add-on that messes with the settings. After the dangerous files are eliminated from your system, you should take care of your browsers. You can get rid of cookies and cache automatically with the help of ReimageIntego. It will also fix any damaged files and system errors so you should notice an improvement in the machine's performance.
If you prefer doing this yourself without additional help, here are the instructions. Steps for other browsers you will find at the bottom of this article.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Cookies and website data:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
The simplest and quickest solution to this is completely resetting Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
Getting rid of LevelNight mac virus. Follow these steps
Remove from Google Chrome
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the unwanted components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings.
Remove from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
If clearing the browser as explained above did not help, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox.
How to prevent from getting adware
Access your website securely from any location
When you work on the domain, site, blog, or different project that requires constant management, content creation, or coding, you may need to connect to the server and content management service more often. The best solution for creating a tighter network could be a dedicated/fixed IP address.
If you make your IP address static and set to your device, you can connect to the CMS from any location and do not create any additional issues for the server or network manager that needs to monitor connections and activities. VPN software providers like Private Internet Access can help you with such settings and offer the option to control the online reputation and manage projects easily from any part of the world.
Recover files after data-affecting malware attacks
While much of the data can be accidentally deleted due to various reasons, malware is one of the main culprits that can cause loss of pictures, documents, videos, and other important files. More serious malware infections lead to significant data loss when your documents, system files, and images get encrypted. In particular, ransomware is is a type of malware that focuses on such functions, so your files become useless without an ability to access them.
Even though there is little to no possibility to recover after file-locking threats, some applications have features for data recovery in the system. In some cases, Data Recovery Pro can also help to recover at least some portion of your data after data-locking virus infection or general cyber infection.