TopConverterSearch browser hijacker Removal Guide
What is TopConverterSearch browser hijacker?
TopConverterSearch is a potentially unwanted browser extension that changes browser settings without permission
TopConverterSearch is a potentially unwanted application that changes browser settings
TopConverterSearch is a browser hijacker that most users install inadvertently after being tricked by a deceptive advertisement (for example, a fake update) or after downloading a freeware app from a third-party website. Upon installation, it would attach the extension of the same name to Google Chrome, MS Edge, Mozilla Firefox, or another web browser, which would change the homepage and new tab address to portal.topconvertersearch.com.
By doing this, the hijacker ensures that users would be inclined to use the altered search tool, which, depending on the affected user's location, redirects all searches to searchlee.com, nearbyme.io, yahoo.com, or bing.com provider. Not only are results different from those provided by Google, but they are also filled with sponsored links and ads.
It is not recommended to click on TopConverterSearch ads, as you might be tricked into installing other potentially unwanted programs or providing your personal information to insecure third parties. To get rid of this unwanted behavior, you should delete the extension from your system and then clean your browser caches accordingly.
|Type||Browser hijacker, potentially unwanted browser extension|
|Distribution||Software bundles, fake updates, deceptive ads, malicious websites|
|Symptoms||Homepage and new tab address are set to portal.topconvertersearch.com; all searches are rerouted to an alternative provider; search results are filled with sponsored links and ads|
|Risks||Installation of other potentially unwanted or malicious software, personal data disclosure to unknown parties, monetary losses|
|Uninstall||Removal of browser hijackers can be performed manually or automatically with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner security software|
|Other tips||After you delete the hijacker, you should also clean your web browsers to avoid tracking and other issues. You can use ReimageIntego as a quick solution|
More about TopConverterSearch
TopConverterSearch actually isn't a standalone application but a new version of a rather broad browser hijacker strain. Previous versions we have already talked about include HDPDFConverterSearch, QuickCouponSearch, and hundreds more.
The names of these apps tend to hint at some type of functionality; for example, CoolMapSearch would incline that its goal is to help users to find navigation maps or that BestMusicSearches is the best for finding music online. You should have noticed the naming pattern by now – these apps usually use three words, which almost always consist of “Search” and then two complimentary words that are meant to describe the apps' features.
However, all of these extensions are identical – they do not possess any kind of special functions besides your regular search tool that would show sponsored links at the top. Besides, the offered widgets such as the calculator or currency converter are broadly accessible online or even locally on a Windows machine.
Removal of browser hijacker
Most browser hijackers are spread as browser extensions, as their operational scope is big enough for their purpose – to show ads to users. Luckily, the removal of extensions is almost always a rather smooth process – it can be done with just a few mouse clicks. If you can't find the unwanted add-on in the “Extensions” section for some reason, proceed with the following steps:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to the unwanted program by clicking Remove.
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select unwanted plugin and click Remove.
- Open Edge and click select Settings > Extensions.
- Delete unwanted extensions by clicking Remove.
ME Edge (legacy)
- Select Menu (three horizontal dots at the top-right of the browser window) and pick Extensions.
- From the list, pick the extension and click on the Gear icon.
- Click on Uninstall at the bottom.
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension and select Uninstall.
Check your system thoroughly and clean your browsers
Potentially unwanted or malicious software might sometimes be installed with additional payloads and might be difficult to remove. For example, a Trojan horse might include several modules that all need to be removed in order for the infection not to return. Besides, malicious software often runs seemingly invisible background processes and shows no active windows, making it more difficult to spot the infection in the first place.
Therefore, we recommend you perform a full system scan with SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner, Malwarebytes, or another powerful anti-malware software. This would ensure that all the potentially unwanted programs and malware are deleted at once automatically.
Non-Personal Information may be automatically transmitted by the user's device. When using our Service, we assign your device with a log file, a cookie (session or persistent), web beacons or other related technologies, to collect Non-Personal Information with respect to your activity in connection with our Service.
You can clean your browsers manually by following our instructions below or by employing the ReimageIntego maintenance utility. The app can also clean your system from junk, repair corrupted registries, and replace virus-damaged system components.
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
- Click on Menu and go to Settings.
- Select Privacy and services.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Under Time range, pick All time.
- Select Clear now.
MS Edge (legacy)
- Click on the Menu (three horizontal dots at the top-right of the browser window) and select Privacy & security.
- Under Clear browsing data, pick Choose what to clear.
- Select everything (apart from passwords, although you might want to include Media licenses as well, if applicable) and click on Clear.
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
How to prevent from getting browser hijacker
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.