What is Firefox redirect virus?
Firefox redirect virus is a dangerous cyber infection, which can easily cause several problems for its victims. As the name of this virus suggests, it can easily hijack your Mozilla Firefox web browser. Beware that at the moment of writing each of web browsers can be affected by such hijacker. You can find more information about Google Chrome redirect virus here, while IE redirect virus is described here. Please, double check the security level of your computer and make sure that each of your security programs is up-to-date. For preventing infiltration of Mozilla redirect virus, we highly recommend thinking about installing a reputable anti-spyware, such as SpyHunter or Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus. These programs have been showing great result when dealing with these and similar browser hijackers.
The most obvious sign showing that your computer has been affected by Firefox redirect virus is continuous redirections to unwanted websites. In most of the cases, such technique is used to helping these websites to increase their page rank or sales, so there is no surprise that they are filled commercial pop-up ads, links, banner ads and similar content. Please, do NOT click them because that's how you can be tricked into downloading additional viruses to your computer. Once Mozilla Firefox hijacker infected the system, it can also alter some part of its settings, like the homepage, the default search engine and similar settings. After misconfiguring the browser, this threat can also start tracking victim's browsing habits and may collect such data as mostly visited websites and data that is entered when visiting them. No matter that Firefox redirect virus is not considered an extremely dangerous virus, you should stay away from ti as far as you can. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that Firefox redirect virus won't redirect you to infected website, which is used to distribute serious cyber threats.
HOW CAN Firefox redirect virus hijack my computer?
Firefox redirect virus can appear on your Mozilla Firefox browser after installing freeware and shareware. In most of the cases, programs that are used for spreading such viruses are various download managers, PDF creators, video streaming software and similar applications that are promoted for free. Beware that you have to monitor installation of each of these programs because they can easily be filled with various components. In most of the cases, they are presented in a small print, so you have to select Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware and then uncheck all pre-checked check marks. Beware that Mozilla Firefox and its developer has nothing to do with this problem. In reality, it's the browser hijacker, which is hiding in your computer. In order to remove it, you should use a guide below.
HOW TO REMOVE Firefox redirect virus?
First of all, you should know that the removal of this virus requires some knowledge about computers and their system. That's why you should think about automatic removal of Firefox redirect virus. However, if you think that you can remove this hijacker manually, here is a guide that you should follow:
You can remove Firefox redirect automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Remove Firefox redirect from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Firefox redirect from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Firefox redirect or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Firefox redirect from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Firefox redirect or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Firefox redirect from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Firefox redirect and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Firefox redirect removal.
Remove Firefox redirect from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Firefox redirect and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Firefox redirect removal.
Remove Firefox redirect from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Firefox redirect and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Firefox redirect removal.
Remove Firefox redirect from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Firefox redirect or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Firefox redirect, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Firefox redirect removal process.
Complete Firefox redirect virus removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Firefox redirect registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Firefox redirect virus
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Firefox redirect virus
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.