PDFSpark is a Mac PDF converter that installs other programs and collects user-related information without any approval
PDFSpark is the potentially unwanted application that claims to offer opening, converting, and annotating PDF files on Mac OS. Users can get this program on purpose because of the promotional content and alleged features. Once this tool gets installed, it pushes its victim into downloading similar programs and delivers commercial content promoting various services or software. Additionally, you can find unknown browser extensions, search engines, and similar components added to Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser. In some cases, PDFSpark can appear on the system out of nowhere as well because software bundling is the main distribution technique for this type of PUPs.
|Promoted as||Useful program capable of converting files|
|Symptoms||Displays ads, changes system settings, causes installation of questionable content|
|Distribution||Software bundles, an official site|
|Main risks||Being introduced to a malicious website or programs, the loss of personally identifiable information|
|Removal||To remove PDFSpark completely, clean the system using anti-malware program. Fix your system further by using ReimageIntego|
When users install PDFSpark willingly, during the installation, other unwanted applications get bundled alongside the installer. However, typically users install these types of applications unintentionally and without knowledge. It mostly happens when they visit deceptive sites or get their program from questionable sources like p2p services.
PDFSpark categorizes as a potentially unwanted program for this reason and based on the intrusive behavior. Having a program like this indicates that other adware-type infections also have been installed. PUPs are not always noticeable right away because symptoms may differ from program to program.
Adware programs like PDFSpark virus focus on generating views and revenue for the publisher or sponsor, so various commercial content in the form of pop-up ads, banners or redirects fill up your screen. Browser-hijackers are mostly focusing on redirecting your online searches to their websites and filling up the results with advertisements.
Unfortunately, all potentially unwanted programs including PDFSpark can access various information about the user:
- IP address;
- online browsing preferences;
- search queries;
- most visited sites;
- details about the software, equipment used.
This information gets tracked and collected due to the relation between PDFSpark and advertisers. Commercial content creators later use this data to make advertisements more geared towards viewers and their online habits. Personalized ads make sure that the promoted content is purchased and pages get more views to monetize.
PDFSpark is the program promoted as a PDF file viewer, annotator, and converter but this app installs other PUPs.
This intrusive and unwanted behavior should encourage you to employ professional anti-malware tools for PDFSpark removal immediately. We offer this method when dealing with stealthily installed programs because this way you can find and eliminate them all from the machine.
To remove PDFSpark, other programs installed without your permission and clean the system entirely, you need a reputable tool. Get the anti-malware program from a reliable source and perform a thorough system scan. We can recommend using ReimageIntego because this tool can also repair the possible damage and improve the performance of your device.
Be aware of the software bundles and silent infiltration
Unwanted programs appear out of nowhere on the computer because deceptive techniques get used to spreading them around. Software bundles, fraudulent websites, questionable freeware providers and promotional advertisements deliver these PUAs without users' knowledge.
When installing any programs, you need to pay close attention to the process of installation because freeware often gets packed with questionable programs like system tools, fake optimizers or browser hijackers and adware. This method is widely used and works in PUP developers' favor because users tend to skip through important steps.
Experts recommend choosing Advanced or Custom options during the installation because it allows seeing and de-selecting additional programs from the download list. This way you can avoid any suspicious and unwanted installation.
Terminate PDFSpark and clean the system with an antivirus program
To remove PDFSpark from your device, you need to find all related files and delete them from the machine. Unfortunately, this may take time and not work at all since various other alterations ensure the persistence of this program.
Get the professional anti-malware for PDFSpark removal and scan the machine fully. This way all changed registry keys or added programs and files can get eliminated. Also, anti-malware tools delete all programs installed without your permission or corrupted and malicious files.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove PDFSpark, follow these steps:
Erase PDFSpark from Mac OS X system
Clean the affected system from PDFSpark content:
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove PDFSpark from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for PDFSpark-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove PDFSpark, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to PDFSpark and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the PDFSpark-related entries.
Remove PDFSpark from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to PDFSpark and click Remove.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
In case PDFSpark did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete PDFSpark removal.
Get rid of PDFSpark from Google Chrome
Make sure to reset the browser if any unwanted extensions got added:
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to PDFSpark by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
If the above-methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the PDFSpark-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete PDFSpark removal.
Delete PDFSpark from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension related to PDFSpark and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
Stream videos without limitations, no matter where you are
There are multiple parties that could find out almost anything about you by checking your online activity. While this is highly unlikely, advertisers and tech companies are constantly tracking you online. The first step to privacy should be a secure browser that focuses on tracker reduction to a minimum.
Even if you employ a secure browser, you will not be able to access websites that are restricted due to local government laws or other reasons. In other words, you may not be able to stream Disney+ or US-based Netflix in some countries. To bypass these restrictions, you can employ a powerful Private Internet Access VPN, which provides dedicated servers for torrenting and streaming, not slowing you down in the process.
Data backups are important – recover your lost files
Ransomware is one of the biggest threats to personal data. Once it is executed on a machine, it launches a sophisticated encryption algorithm that locks all your files, although it does not destroy them. The most common misconception is that anti-malware software can return files to their previous states. This is not true, however, and data remains locked after the malicious payload is deleted.
While regular data backups are the only secure method to recover your files after a ransomware attack, tools such as Data Recovery Pro can also be effective and restore at least some of your lost data.