Spchlpr is the unwanted macOS application that appears in error messages claiming that it is blocked
Spchlpr is the application causing pop-up error messages and suspicious processes appearing out of nowhere. This is the version of Mac malware related to Similar Photo Cleaner and other PCVARK products based on shady advertising networks and promotional content delivery. People encounter the annoying message and cannot associate a specific application with the questionable “spchlpr will damage your computer” pop-up. The message is fake, and it indicates PUP infiltration, not the actual system damage. The message can include other processes or names of rogue applications like Maftask, Ummhlpr, Helpermcp.
This is not a malicious program, but users call it an Spchlpr virus due to unexplainable occurrence and shady symptoms. Application itself cannot damage the system nor is designed to corrupt the system or files, but this is a potentially unwanted program that has a goal of spying on users' online behavior, tracking, and collecting information useful in advertising campaigns. Often online advertising pages involve additional layers that trigger direct downloads and installations of tools, browser-based applications, and even malware, so the pop-up may cause more than you think.
|Type||Mac malware/ unwanted application|
|Symptoms||The system starts running slow, and the browsing process becomes difficult due to additional redirects and pop-ups with commercial content, promotional material. False error messages convince people to eliminate some files that may not even be related to hazardous programs|
|Damage||Any potentially unwanted application can access the browsing data and cause issues with privacy. Various alterations to system preferences, files and programs can cause damage to the machine itself, content the user gets exposed to due to the online traffic redirects leads to malware infiltrations without even noticing|
|Distribution methods||Other rogue application and deceptive pages can lead to the installation of the shady app, freeware installation processes when you skip through important steps can allow PUPs|
|Elimination||You need a professional anti-malware tool that can detect and remove Spchlpr completely|
|Tip for the system recovery||You should rely on cleaning the system from virus damage or any suspicious content like corrupted or affected files, so repair those with optimization software like ReimageIntego|
Spchlpr is related to ad-supported applications that should help with duplicate photos and pictures on the system. This is a pointless tool that has low functionality when compared to the promotional material delivered online. It is useless for the user, but it also leads to severe computer and privacy problems. Besides installing without permission and users' consent, PUP can load browser extensions, add-ons, and plugins behind your back.
Unfortunately, the consequences of Spchlpr infiltration means that your time online gets annoying due to intrusive pop-up ads, redirect, unwanted programs installed, and so on. Some users complain that they cannot quit Similar Photo Cleaner itself and those pop-ups, as it displays windows, that cannot be closed. All these intrusive features make the program fall into the category of potentially unwanted apps.
Spchlpr.App pop-up errors can show different versions of the false system warning like:
“nspcuninstall” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin. This file was downloaded on an unknown date. Report malware to apple to protect other users.
“nspchlpr” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin. This file was downloaded on an unknown date. Report malware to apple to protect other users.
Many people believe that Mac devices cannot get any type of malware. That may be somewhat true since ransomware and trojans are not based on this operating system and more often designed to target Windows OS only. However, unwanted programs, adware, hijackers, rogue tools are especially active and annoying when it comes to macOS malware. You shouldn't ignore this fact and remove Spchlpr as soon as it shows any suspicious symptoms on your machine. Spchlpr is the virus for mac OS that gets delivered behind the user's back during the installation of freeware or even rogue system optimization programs. Such applications less than often gets blacklisted, so the installer can run freely and infect the targeted machine. Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or other browsers can block sites that distribute PUPs themselves, but that is not happening commonly. Unfortunately, the low detection rate also means that it is more difficult to quickly and efficiently perform Spchlpr removal.
You need to follow the instructions below that show hot to reset browser step-by-step, so you can eliminate any Spchlpr related applications, extensions. You may need to delete the rogue tool itself from the machine, so check the Application folder, Activity Monitor.
Note that Spchlpr also responsible for:
- Fake software update notifications;
- Freeware applications installed out of nowhere;
- Corrupted/shady websites appearing on the screen;
- Bundled packages promoted on those pop-ups.
Since this is a possibly more persistent threat than you can think, you should go through the automatic elimination process. Also, relying on ReimageIntego or a different system tool, data repair application, the optimizer might give you the advantage. Spchlpr affected files can get repaired or deleted without damaging the device itself. Spchlpr is the potentially unwanted program that enters your system and begins to display error messages about harmful files that need to be moved to trash.
Media players, readers and free utilities get pre-packed with PUPs
Anything distributed online for free should immediately raise questions for you, especially when normal versions of the applications cost money. Any phishing sites with promotional content that pushes optimization programs shouldn't be trusted as a source of the software.
Adware, potentially unwanted programs, or rogue tools can be dropped on the system by another potentially unwanted program. In this case, the application is associated with an infection with the shady program developed by the company PCVARK. The company is known to have many PUPs that get to be advertised on and delivered from deceptive pages.
Such downloads often start automatically, and the user cannot notice the extra installation since it is not fully disclosed. For that, you need to go for Advanced, or Custom installation options instead of recommended default installs. Experts also recommend using security and ad-blocking software designed for Mac to defend from these stealthy infiltrations int he future.
Get rid of associated files and end the annoying Spchlpr App behavior
Beware that as long as there is some kind of unwanted or possibly malicious program that is running on your PC, it can activate various tracking technologies to collect your online behavior-related data. Running anti-malware software can help remove Spchlpr completely. And using apps that are not from trustworthy developers may expose your machine and personal information to malicious content.
Data collecting and sharing that can compromise your privacy. So it is important to consider the Spchlpr removal ASAP. Also, you may need to think about the damage virus leaves behind and fix that, delete associated files from the affected Mac. You can try to achieve that with PC repair tools or macOS optimizers.
Run through web browsers on your machine and look for Spchlpr virus installed materials to ensure that infection is not repeating itself later on. You can clean undesired extensions, add-ons by resetting tools to default completely.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Spchlpr, follow these steps:
Delete Spchlpr from Mac OS X system
Remove Spchlpr application from the system and make sure to clean the machine additionally
Remove Spchlpr from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for Spchlpr-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove Spchlpr, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to Spchlpr and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the Spchlpr-related entries.
Erase Spchlpr from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
Get rid of the unwanted application and other suspicious extensions, add-ons installed without your permission
Remove dangerous extensions:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click on the Menu (three horizontal lines at the top-right of the window).
- Select Add-ons.
- In here, select plugins that are related to Spchlpr and click Remove.
Reset the homepage:
- Click three horizontal lines at the top right corner to open the menu.
- Choose Options.
- Under Home options, enter your preferred site that will open every time you newly open the Mozilla Firefox.
Clear cookies and site data:
- Click Menu and pick Options.
- Go to Privacy & Security section.
- Scroll down to locate Cookies and Site Data.
- Click on Clear Data…
- Select Cookies and Site Data, as well as Cached Web Content and press Clear.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
In case Spchlpr did not get removed after following the instructions above, reset Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox browser and click the Menu.
- Go to Help and then choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Under Give Firefox a tune up section, click on Refresh Firefox…
- Once the pop-up shows up, confirm the action by pressing on Refresh Firefox – this should complete Spchlpr removal.
Eliminate Spchlpr from Google Chrome
Your browser may get affected by the Spchlpr when it installs programs and apps on Chrome without asking for permission
Delete malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome, click on the Menu (three vertical dots at the top-right corner) and select More tools > Extensions.
- In the newly opened window, you will see all the installed extensions. Uninstall all the suspicious plugins that might be related to Spchlpr by clicking Remove.
Clear cache and web data from Chrome:
- Click on Menu and pick Settings.
- Under Privacy and security, select Clear browsing data.
- Select Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, as well as Cached images and files.
- Click Clear data.
Change your homepage:
- Click menu and choose Settings.
- Look for a suspicious site like Spchlpr in the On startup section.
- Click on Open a specific or set of pages and click on three dots to find the Remove option.
Reset Google Chrome:
If the previous methods did not help you, reset Google Chrome to eliminate all the Spchlpr-components:
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced.
- Scroll down and locate Reset and clean up section.
- Now click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Confirm with Reset settings to complete Spchlpr removal.
Get rid of Spchlpr from Safari
Remove unwanted extensions from Safari:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- In the new window, pick Extensions.
- Select the unwanted extension related to Spchlpr and select Uninstall.
Clear cookies and other website data from Safari:
- Click Safari > Clear History…
- From the drop-down menu under Clear, pick all history.
- Confirm with Clear History.
Reset Safari if the above-mentioned steps did not help you:
- Click Safari > Preferences…
- Go to Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar.
- From the menu bar, click Develop, and then select Empty Caches.
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Spchlpr registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: ReimageIntego, SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner or Malwarebytes.
Protect your privacy – employ a VPN
There are several ways how to make your online time more private – you can access an incognito tab. However, there is no secret that even in this mode, you are tracked for advertising purposes. There is a way to add an extra layer of protection and create a completely anonymous web browsing practice with the help of Private Internet Access VPN. This software reroutes traffic through different servers, thus leaving your IP address and geolocation in disguise. Besides, it is based on a strict no-log policy, meaning that no data will be recorded, leaked, and available for both first and third parties. The combination of a secure web browser and Private Internet Access VPN will let you browse the Internet without a feeling of being spied or targeted by criminals.
No backups? No problem. Use a data recovery tool
If you wonder how data loss can occur, you should not look any further for answers – human errors, malware attacks, hardware failures, power cuts, natural disasters, or even simple negligence. In some cases, lost files are extremely important, and many straight out panic when such an unfortunate course of events happen. Due to this, you should always ensure that you prepare proper data backups on a regular basis.
If you were caught by surprise and did not have any backups to restore your files from, not everything is lost. Data Recovery Pro is one of the leading file recovery solutions you can find on the market – it is likely to restore even lost emails or data located on an external device.