Reasons not to ignore NavSmart.info hijack
NavSmart.info virus may look like a great tool for searching the web. Unfortunately, you should stay away from this search engine as far as possible. This potentially unwanted program (PUP) will set startpage.navsmart.info as your home, new tab, and search engine address without asking for your approval in a direct way.
If your homepage or a default search engine has recently been replaced with this questionable website, it is a clear indication that your PC has been hijacked by NavSmart. In this case, you need to take care of your PC system without wasting your time. The easiest and almost effortless way to do that is to scan it with a reliable anti-spyware program.
Trying to remove NavSmart.info virus manually can end up badly if you lack skill and experience dealing with such infections. Thus, we recommend using hijacker removal guidelines we added at the end of this page.
Typically to the majority of browser hijackers, the one we discuss today cannot go without its vague components. These are additional files and programs, such as browser extensions, toolbars, quick search boxes and add-ons that the culprit installs on the computer without asking user’s permission.
This software is designed to obstruct NavSmart removal. Even if the main program is terminated, the rest of its components can set the dubious URL as the default search engine and homepage again. That is why so many users complain that Navsmart keeps coming back. In order to eliminate the virus completely, you will have to hunt all these additionally installed components down and delete the related components.
Questions about NavSmart.info virus
You can install this browser hijacker on your computer without realizing that as it has been actively promoted as an optional component of download managers, PDF creators, video streaming software and similar freeware. Once it is let into the system, it alters browsers' settings right away. As a result, its victim becomes incapable of avoiding this hijacker because it shows up every time he or she launches the web browser or opens a new tab.
This web page is cluttered with shortcuts leading to all sorts of places on the Internet. While some of these sites are definitely reliable, some of them might be not. It is not advisable to click on these shortcuts as you might be unexpectedly rerouted to entirely different web pages.
This potentially unwanted program is designed to reroute users to particular websites and drive web traffic to them but bear in mind that these redirects can force you to visit high-risk Internet sites, too. All of these shady redirects generate pay-per-click (or pay-per-visit) revenue for the developers of the shady search tool, however, these redirects can pose a threat to your privacy and your PC.
In our opinion, this site is untrustworthy and you should never use it instead of Google or other well-known search engine. If you have just discovered it on your web browser, you should uninstall NavSmart from your computer without hesitation. You can quickly detect and delete it with a help of an anti-spyware program like Reimage.
To sum up, these are the reasons why you should keep your distance from it and avoid using its services:
- According to security experts, this program should be added to “browser hijacker” category because it can show you altered search results and then redirect you to sponsored websites.
- Such activity is used for earning the money which is collected in exchange for increased visitors' traffic.
- Unfortunately, external websites you might access via this dubious search service can pose a threat to your computer and your privacy.
TIP: If your browser displays hxxp://navsmart.info/ site but there's no search engine on it, it means that the domain's registration expired and wasn't renewed. In such case, you still need to remove the hijacker that keeps redirecting you to that suspicious domain.
Methods used to promote fake search engines
You might allow Nav Smart hijack to occur when installing computer programs without paying attention to their installation process. Unfortunately, some computer users believe that all it takes to install the program is just to click “Next” button in its installation setup.
That is entirely incorrect, because by installing programs like that, you can easily contaminate your computer system with unnecessary and even dangerous programs. Now, we would like to explain what is the right way to install programs on your PC.
- When you launch an installer, do not rush.
- When you finish reading them, think if there were any suspicious statements that make you wonder about the reliability of your selected program.
- Next, adjust installation settings to avoid letting PUPs into your computer. Instead of leaving pre-selected option (Default or Standard), switch the selection and set Advanced or Custom settings.
- Then you will see a list of bonus apps added to your download – these are likely to be potentially unwanted programs.
- Deselect them and proceed with the installation.
Uninstall NavSmart.info using expert tips
You must remove NavSmart.info virus from your browser to continue browsing the Internet safely. In order to do it, you need to uninstall all of its components from the PC. For that, you need to check several locations on your computer, including browser settings and also a list of recently installed programs.
You can find more detailed instructions on how to uninstall this potentially unwanted software below. To complete NavSmart.info removal, scan your computer with a trustworthy anti-spyware software and see if you have deleted all components of it.
You can remove NavSmart.info automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Plumbytes Anti-MalwareWebroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove NavSmart.info virus, follow these steps:
Delete NavSmart.info from Windows systems
When trying to remove NavSmart from Windows OS and prevent its reappearance in the future, you should uninstall all questionable programs via Add/Remove Programs.
Remember that you won't get rid of this PUP by removing an app that tricked you into installing this browser hijacker. However, deleting it alongside the hijacker is a highly recommended option.
We suggest looking for applications called “Web Companion” (by Lavasoft) and “TubeBox” (by Freetec) and uninstall them. Then, reset your browser following the instructions provided below.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall NavSmart.info and related programs
Here, look for NavSmart.info or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove NavSmart.info from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Erase NavSmart.info from Mac OS X system
You need to find every component related to the described hijacker. This is the only way to remove this browser redirect virus and be sure that it won't come back after rebooting the system.
In your application manager locate programs called Web Companion and TubeBox and uninstall them. Then, it is time to reset your browser. Do that following the instructions below.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for NavSmart.info or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Get rid of NavSmart.info from Internet Explorer (IE)
After you are finished resetting your Internet Explorer, right-click the browser icon, navigate to “Properties”. Then choose “Shortcut” and delete the appended http://navsmart.info/ from the “Target” line.
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for NavSmart.info and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete NavSmart.info removal.
Remove NavSmart.info from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
When you reset Mozilla, right-click its icon on your desktop, go to “Properties”. In the “Shortcut” tab, find “Target” line and delete the appended http://navsmart.info/ at the end of it.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select NavSmart.info and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete NavSmart.info removal.
Eliminate NavSmart.info from Google Chrome
When Google Chrome browser is reset, close it and right-click on its icon located on your desktop. Open the “Properties” window and go to the “Shortcut” tab. You will see a prompt called “Target” and http://startpage.navsmart.info/ appended at the end. Delete this appendix, press “OK” and “Continue”.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select NavSmart.info and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete NavSmart.info removal.
Delete NavSmart.info from Safari
- Remove dangerous extensions
Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for NavSmart.info or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by NavSmart.info, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete NavSmart.info removal process.