Reasons to stay away from Search.findwide.com virus
Search.findwide.com can seem like a regular search tool for people who have never encountered a browser hijacker in their life. Sadly, this vague search tool is actively promoted with a help of a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is often called Search.findwide.com virus. This PUP is also known under Findwide, FindWide.com Toolbar, and Findwide Search names. When someone installs this program on the system, it quickly alters some browser settings and sets the aforementioned URL as browser’s default start page. Unfortunately, this computer parasite can infiltrate the most popular web browsers – Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer. Once this trio gets affected, some symptoms of Search.findwide.com hijack can be spotted immediately. Just like we have said, the victim might notice that the browser launches the indicated URL on the startup and then displays the FindWide search engine. On top of that, the hijacker changes the default new tab page preferences, and this change can be noticed easily, too. However, there are some changes that cannot be spotted that easily. This hijacker adds tracking cookies into infected web browser to collect information about user’s browsing sessions and learn more about his or hers browsing activities and personal interests. These non-personal details about the user are used to deliver targeted advertisements, which can appear in pop-up windows or just be hidden between the organic search results powered by the questionable search engine that this hijacker presents.
Even though Find Wide search may appear to be reliable at first, you should better not trust its search results. Be aware that this hijacker has solely been developed for monetization purposes, which means that its main objective is to promote third-party websites, increase their rank in search results, collect users’ clicks, and so on. Therefore, whenever you initiate a search using that site, you may experience redirects to suspicious websites of its affiliates. Sites advertised this way often prove to be unreliable; therefore, by exploring such results, you risk exposing your computer to various cyber threats and ending up with a spyware or malware variant on your PC. Thus, to say at least, Search.findwide.com redirect virus is a useless application that we do not recommend using. The quickest and easiest way to remove Search.findwide.com is to perform a full system scan with a reputable and updated anti-malware, such as Reimage Reimage Cleaner .
How can this program hijack my computer?
Search.findwide.com removal tutorial
Do not waste your time expecting Search.findwide.com virus to get better. You should follow Search.findwide.com removal instructions provided below and delete this pest from the system without any worries. If you cannot remove Search.findwide.com virus manually, send us a question or delete it with automatic malware removal tool.
You may remove virus damage with a help of Reimage Reimage Cleaner . SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Search.findwide.com, follow these steps:
Erase Search.findwide.com from Windows systems
Go to recently installed programs list using guidelines below and uninstall FindWide virus.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Search.findwide.com and related programs
Here, look for Search.findwide.com or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Search.findwide.com from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Remove Search.findwide.com from Mac OS X system
Look through the system for FindFide app and uninstall it.
- If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
- Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Search.findwide.com or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Uninstall Search.findwide.com from Internet Explorer (IE)
Clean the browser from FindWide components using instructions provided below. Be careful!
Remove dangerous add-ons
Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Search.findwide.com and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
Reset Internet Explorer
Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Search.findwide.com removal.
Get rid of Search.findwide.com from Mozilla Firefox (FF)
To remove the hijacker from Firefox, complete these additional steps:
1. Go to Firefox Help Menu. Find TroubleShooting information option there and click on it.
2. In the Application Basics panel, find Profile folder and click on Open Folder button that is next to it.
3. Find the user.js file and delete it.
4. Restart Firefox and, if needed, carry out the following instructions then.
Remove dangerous extensions
Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.findwide.com and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
Change your homepage if it was altered by virus:
Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Search.findwide.com removal.
Eliminate Search.findwide.com from Google Chrome
Delete preferences and extensions related to FindWide virus. These instructions explain how to do it:
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Search.findwide.com and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Search.findwide.com removal.