Should you remove Searchshield?
Searchshield virus is an application that users can add to their browsers for free. It is promoted via Searchshield.co site, from where users get redirected to Google Chrome store. However, just because you can get this potentially unwanted program (PUP) from this legitimate store, it does not mean that this ad-supported application is a safe addition to your computer. If you did not go and download this program, then it means you have installed it alongside another application. Do not worry – your PC is not hacked or compromised by cyber criminals, but that does not mean that you should keep the aforementioned browser add-on on your system. If you are in a hurry, scroll down to find Searchshield removal guide or just delete it using spyware removal application like ReimageIntego.
Questions about Searchshield virus
This potentially unwanted app is a browser hijacker, which promises to protect user’s searches. It can configure your new tab and homepage settings and add new entries. However, as we have tested the search engine provided on that site, we cannot say that it seems to be reliable. We have noticed that search results it delivers are powered by Search.assist.ly site, which is also considered untrustworthy. Beware that by using that site for your web searches, you risk to encounter modified search outcomes, possibly supplemented with shady third-party links leading to sponsors’ sites. Such sites can be highly dangerous! Most of the time they promote ad-supported applications, browser toolbars, and similar apps that are hardly beneficial but can generate pay-per-click revenue for their developers. The same applies to Searchshield redirect virus – it has been made to redirect users to predetermined sites and this way earn money for its developers. If you have noticed this browser hijacker in your browser, do not waste your time and remove it, or you will continue experiencing system slowdowns, browser crashes, and similar inconveniences.
How did Searchshield deceived me and entered my computer without my knowledge?
If you have already decided to remove this PUP, you probably also want to know how did this browser hijacker succeed to enter your PC without your consent. That is easy to explain, actually. This program can be added to any free program’s installer and offered to the user as a “recommended download.” Users often tend to install programs in a rush, and that is not a secret. As a result, they fail to opt out optional elements, and this is how potentially unwanted programs get installed. If you have already become a victim of Searchshield hijack, remember that you can always refuse to install these programs by modifying installation settings whenever you install a new program on your PC. Simply choose Advanced or Custom settings and then deselect each additional component that you do not wish to obtain.
How to remove this program from your computer?
An immediate Searchshield removal is required in order to protect your browser from slowdowns and crashes; besides, you will be able to enjoy your browsing sessions just like you did before this unpleasant application was installed. If you do not have malware removal program, then download and run a system scan with one of the programs we recommend. To remove Searchshield virus, you can also try these removal instructions that we have prepared.
You may remove virus damage with a help of ReimageIntego. SpyHunter 5Combo Cleaner and Malwarebytes are recommended to detect potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
To remove Searchshield virus, follow these steps:
Delete Searchshield from Windows systems
Try to look for suspicious applications that you did not install by your choice; such programs can be named as
Search.assist.ly or SearchShield.
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Uninstall Searchshield and related programs
Here, look for Searchshield or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Remove Searchshield from Windows shortcuts
Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Uninstall Searchshield from Mac OS X system
Find and delete all suspicious apps related to Search.assist.ly or SearchShield.
If your macOS is displaying some infection symptoms, proceed with the following guide:
Remove Searchshield virus from Applications folder:
- From the menu bar, select Go > Applications.
- In the Applications folder, look for Searchshield virus-related entries.
- Click on the app and drag it to Trash (or right-click and pick Move to Trash)
To fully remove Searchshield virus, you need to access Application Support, LaunchAgents, and LaunchDaemons folders and delete relevant files:
- Select Go > Go to Folder.
- Enter /Library/Application Support and click Go or press Enter.
- In the Application Support folder, look for any dubious entries related to Searchshield virus and then delete them.
- Now enter /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons folders the same way and terminate all the Searchshield virus-related entries.
Eliminate Searchshield from Google Chrome
Look for SearchShield extension or anything related to Search.assist.ly hijacker and delete them.
Delete malicious plugins
Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchshield and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
Change your homepage and default search engine if it was altered by your virus
Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
Reset Google Chrome
Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Searchshield removal.
Do not let government spy on you
The government has many issues in regards to tracking users' data and spying on citizens, so you should take this into consideration and learn more about shady information gathering practices. Avoid any unwanted government tracking or spying by going totally anonymous on the internet.
You can choose a different location when you go online and access any material you want without particular content restrictions. You can easily enjoy internet connection without any risks of being hacked by using Private Internet Access VPN.
Control the information that can be accessed by government any other unwanted party and surf online without being spied on. Even if you are not involved in illegal activities or trust your selection of services, platforms, be suspicious for your own security and take precautionary measures by using the VPN service.
Backup files for the later use, in case of the malware attack
Computer users can suffer from data losses due to cyber infections or their own faulty doings. Ransomware can encrypt and hold files hostage, while unforeseen power cuts might cause a loss of important documents. If you have proper up-to-date backups, you can easily recover after such an incident and get back to work. It is also equally important to update backups on a regular basis so that the newest information remains intact – you can set this process to be performed automatically.
When you have the previous version of every important document or project you can avoid frustration and breakdowns. It comes in handy when malware strikes out of nowhere. Use Data Recovery Pro for the data restoration process.