What is Websteroids?
Websteroids is a free application that enables you to launch a game called Asteroids on any website you visit. Although that sounds like a fun and useful feature, you should think twice before adding this questionable program to your system. In fact, many reliable security vendors have decided to start labeling Websteroids as a potential threat, a potentially unwanted program and an 'adware'. It was done for a very simple thing - this program is supported by advertising, which is used for promoting third party websites and helping them to increase their page rank or sales. Therefore, when trying to enjoy a free Asteroids game and sometimes just browse the Internet, you may have to deal with tons of annoying and intrusive Websteroids ads. Many internet users have been complaining about them for a while. However, that's not the main reason why we want to encourage you to avoid this program. Beware that after hijacking each of your web browsers, this program may start causing redirects to affiliate websites. What is more, in worst case scenario, you may be redirected to a really suspicious website that is used for promoting questionable applications. That's why you should never click the ads by Websteroids without checking what they promote. Finally, we have to warn you that such browser add-ons as this one are capable of collecting personally non-identifiable information about PC users. In most of the cases, it collects search terms, mostly visited websites, data that users enter when visit specific websites, their PCs' IP address, location and so on. Besides, people have been complaining that Websteroids uses system's resources and causes slow downs. So, it looks like this dubious application not only may flood you with advertisements, but also cause other issues. That's why we highly recommend eliminating it from the system. You can do that with a help of SpyHunter.
How can Websteroids hijack my computer?
You can easily download Websteroids from its official website or various download websites. However, as we have mentioned above, in order to enjoy the free game, you may have to experience irritating visual advertisements. Besides, usually such adwares travel bundled with freewares and sharewares from all over the internet. That is the easiest way how to transmit such potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). Websteroids is not an exception; therefore, you should check what programs you are downloading and if these programs are safe to use. Remember this; freewares are usually supported by advertising or travel together with ad-supported attachments. Keeping that in mind, in order to avoid Websteroids virus, you should read end-user license agreement (EULA) part of your desired program. In this section, you should find valuable information about the program that you want to install. Moreover, in order to spot such unwanted attachments, you need to choose 'advanced' or 'custom' installation option. Follow the entire installation and unmark suspicious attachments.
How to remove Websteroids virus?
Don't let this program act behind your back, use your computer's resources and irritate your with advertisements. In order to stop Websteroids redirects, you should use these removal instructions:
You can remove Websteroids automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Manual Websteroids ads Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Websteroids and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Websteroids or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Websteroids or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: Uninstall Websteroids from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 3
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Websteroids and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Websteroids removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Websteroids and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Websteroids removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Websteroids and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Websteroids removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Websteroids or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Websteroids removal process.
Step 3: Complete Websteroids ads removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Websteroids registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.