Ask is a popular search engine, which offers 'better web search' for its users. You may search the web using its website ask.com or the toolbar, which can be installed on the computer. No matter that it looks safe, many users have asked us about the trustworthiness of Ask after discovering this search engine on their computers out of nowhere. Before you call this program 'virus', your should known that Ask, just like many other search engines and toolbars, is promoted via other free programs. Once you (unnoticeably!) agree to install such program on your computer, it makes changes in homepage and default search engine. If you want to remove Ask from your computer, you have to follow a detailed guide, which is given at the end of this post..
HOW CAN ASK GET ON MY COMPUTER?
As we have already mentioned, Ask Toolbar and ask.com can get on your computer when downloading freeware/shareware, such as Java and similar. In most of occasions, users download such programs without paying enough attention to their installation process. If you want to protect your PC against Ask, you have to choose 'custom' installation method and uncheck all entries that offer to change the homepage or download toolbar. Once it is downloaded, Ask can easily appear instead of your start page or default search engine. If you want to get rid of it, you have to remove Ask from each of your web browsers manually. Follow this guide to fix your computer for good:
HOW TO REMOVE ASK?
If you want to get rid of Ask search engine or Toolbar, you should remove this program via Add/Remove Programs list. For that:
- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs (or Add/Remove Programs) -> Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Ask and similar entries and select 'Uninstall/Change'.
- Click OK to save the changes.
Finally, fix each of your browsers with a help of these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer, go ‘Tools‘ -> ”Manage Add-ons’ -> ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and uninstall Ask Toolbar, Ask and other entries that are unknown for you.
- Click ''Tools' -> 'Manage addons' -> ‘Search Providers’ and choose the search engine you used before.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Add-ons’ -> ‘Extensions’; find Ask Toolbar, Ask and other entries that are unknown and click ‘Uninstall’.
- Go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Options’ and reset the startup homepage to google.com, yahoo.com or similar search page.
- Click on the ‘Customize and control Google Chrome’ icon, select ‘Options’ -> ‘Basic’ and change the homepage to google.com or other.
- Click the ‘Manage search engines…’ -> choose ‘Google’ and make it the default search engine.
Finally, it is also recommended scanning the system with updated anti-spyware and making sure that your PC is free of malicious programs. We recommend using SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
It might be that we are affiliated with any of our recommended products. Full disclosure can be found in our Agreement of Use.
and Agreement of Use