What is Blekko?
Blekko is a web search engine, which claims that it is capable of providing the best search results for its users. Please, do NOT think that they are better than those that are offered by Google Search, Bing, Yahoo and other well known search sites. In reality, there is no guarantee that they won't be filled with suspicious links that may lead you to suspicious, questionable and even dangerous websites. After clicking them, you may be tricked into downloading other suspicious programs to your computer, so you should never visit them. Besides, this site, which was launched to the public on November 1, 2010, may cause slow downs and annoying pop-up ads on each of your web browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.). If you have just discovered Blekko virus on each of these browsers, it means that you have downloaded a program, which was involved to the distribution of this search site. That's not a new thing. This distribution method is called bundling and the only way to avoid it is to start monitoring installation of the freeware. Last, but definitely not the least, issue that can be initiated by this search engine is tracking of people's browsing habits. In most of the cases, it is interested in people's search terms, mostly visited websites, data that they enter when visiting them, etc. No matter that such information is called 'personally non-identifiable' web don't recommend sharing it with unknown parties. If you want to protect yourself, you have to remove Blekko hijacker from your computer. This can be done with a help of SpyHunter or other reputable anti-spyware.
How can Blekko hijack my computer?
Blekko is not as malicious as rogue anti-spywares or ransomwares. However, as you may have already understood, it may cause lots of issues on your computer. That's why we highly recommend you to avoid this search engine and continue using Google, Yahoo or Bing. In order to protect yourself from this and other browser hijackers that may try to redirect your browser to unknown websites, you should start monitoring installation of the freeware. Please, select only Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware because there are hundreds of download managers. PDF creators, video streaming software and similar programs that have been involved to Blekko distribution. After doing so, you should deselect pre-checked check boxes that may inform you that you want to set blekko.com as your start page or default search engine. If it has already showed up on your computer, you can fix this issue with a help of a guide below.
How can I remove Blekko virus?
It is hard to delete Blekko manually because this browser hijacker drops various components on the system and hides them. That's why it may reappear on your computer after rebooting your computer. In order to avoid that, you should use programs that are given below. They will help you to delete Blekko toolbar with all components that it has. Of course, if you have downloaded Blekko manually and you think that it's useful, you can leave it.
You can remove Blekko automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, STOPzilla, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Blekko virus manual removal
Delete registry values:
Manual Blekko virus Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Blekko and related programsWindows Mac OS X ↷ Step 2
from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Blekko or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Blekko or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.
Step 2: from Windows shortcuts↷ Step 3
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.
Step 3: Uninstall Blekko from each of your web browsersInternet Explorer Mozilla Firefox Google Chrome Safari ↷ Step 4
from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Blekko and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Blekko removal.
from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Blekko and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Blekko removal.
from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Blekko and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Blekko removal.
from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extentions and look for Blekko or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Blekko, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Blekko removal process.
Step 4: Complete Blekko virus removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Blekko registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Blekko virus
Removal guides in other languages
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.