Searchnu is classified as a browser hijacker. When infected you will see that your web browsers will start with searchnu.com rather than google.com or any other search engine you had before. Searchnu installs as a bundle with other programs, so mostlikely you installed it yourself. When installing some freeware programs you must read software licence agreement and see what checkboxes are checked in the instalation process.
What is Searchnu?
Searchnu.com domain and the domain search-results.com belong to the IAC Search & Media, Inc. This company known by the name Ask Jeeves Inc. It has a lot of popular domains on the web and the most famous of them is Ask.com. If we check more information about Searchnu in popular search engines, we see that users tries to remove this service. Also we found out that searchnu is distributed through a lot of freeware programs, including some well knows mp3 converters, Ilivid and other programs which are even featured on Cnet. We really advice you to read very carefully what components you are installing to the system. During the instalation process you will get the list of programs which are bundled, and they are automatically checked. So if you do not read anything, you will get the searchnu automatically installed with another program.
Typical instalation has Searchqu toolbar, searchnu.com and search-results.com. Searchnu changes your browser settings and makes the default home page searchnu.com of all browsers you are using. It makes all search results pages redirected through their own search results pages.
Why my antivirus software does not detect search nu?
You can not blame your antivirus because searchnu is not classified as a virus. You install Searchnu yourself and agree with all the things it does to your system. You agree to change the home page and make your search results to be redirected. It can be classified as potentially dangerous program or potentialy unwanted program (PUP), but it does not do any maliciuos activity or installs to the system without your consent.
How to remove searchnu?
It is not easy to remove Searchnu. If you installed it with other freeware, so there will be not enough to uninstall only this freeware. You will need to remove all components one by one including web browser add-ons and search engine providers. Before everything, you need to scan your system with reputable anti-spyware software, such as SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Also you need to know that you will need to remove all compoments of searchnu from all the browsers you are using, because there is no one united manual removal solution provided by IAC Search & Media, Inc. In the Anti-spyware software detects searchnu and its components, it will remove them automatically with one click.
Manual Searchqu Toolbar removal instructions:
1. Toolbar can be removed from add/remove programs list which is located in control panel.
2. Toolbar in Interent Explorer must be remove from the internet explorer add-ons list, which is located under the tools tab in the explorer. the you need to set other search engine as a default one and remove "search results" line.
3. To Remove Home page, you need to go to the explorer settings, tools tab, selects internet options and general tab there. Change the http://www.searchnu.com/406 url to the page you like to start with.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Click on the magnifying glass search icon and select Manage Search Engines. remove "search results" line there.
2. go to browser tools tab, them Options and general tab. Reset you home page there. There will be http://www.searchnu.com/406 page, change it to the page you want firefox to start.
3. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter. In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL. and delete search-results.com there. The string value can be changed to http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&q=
1. Click on Customize and control Google Chrome icon and select Settings. Choose basic options there and change the http://www.searchnu.com/406 url to the page you like to start with.
2. press manage search engines button and make the default search engine google.com there. Also delete "search results" line from the list.
We might be affiliated with any product we recommend on the site. Full disclosure in our Agreement of Use.
and agreement of use
Modern viruses are really hard to remove. They have random file names, random registry entries, they can immitale legal products and files.
Removal instructions sometimes can't Help to remove infection manually. Please take a look at our discussion where users like you share they experience in fighting the parasite: