Searchnu is classified as a browser hijacker. When infected you will see that your web browsers will start with searchnu.com rather than google.com or any other search engine you had before. Searchnu installs as a bundle with other programs, so mostlikely you installed it yourself. When installing some freeware programs you must read software licence agreement and see what checkboxes are checked in the instalation process.
What is Searchnu?
Searchnu.com domain and the domain search-results.com belong to the IAC Search & Media, Inc. This company known by the name Ask Jeeves Inc. It has a lot of popular domains on the web and the most famous of them is Ask.com. If we check more information about Searchnu in popular search engines, we see that users tries to remove this service. Also we found out that searchnu is distributed through a lot of freeware programs, including some well knows mp3 converters, Ilivid and other programs which are even featured on Cnet. We really advice you to read very carefully what components you are installing to the system. During the instalation process you will get the list of programs which are bundled, and they are automatically checked. So if you do not read anything, you will get the searchnu automatically installed with another program.
Typical instalation has Searchqu toolbar, searchnu.com and search-results.com. Searchnu changes your browser settings and makes the default home page searchnu.com of all browsers you are using. It makes all search results pages redirected through their own search results pages.
Why my antivirus software does not detect search nu?
You can not blame your antivirus because searchnu is not classified as a virus. You install Searchnu yourself and agree with all the things it does to your system. You agree to change the home page and make your search results to be redirected. It can be classified as potentially dangerous program or potentialy unwanted program (PUP), but it does not do any maliciuos activity or installs to the system without your consent.
How to remove searchnu?
It is not easy to remove Searchnu. If you installed it with other freeware, so there will be not enough to uninstall only this freeware. You will need to remove all components one by one including web browser add-ons and search engine providers. Before everything, you need to scan your system with reputable anti-spyware software, such as SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Also you need to know that you will need to remove all compoments of searchnu from all the browsers you are using, because there is no one united manual removal solution provided by IAC Search & Media, Inc. In the Anti-spyware software detects searchnu and its components, it will remove them automatically with one click. Otherwise, you should follow a guide below:
You can remove Searchnu automatically with a help of one of these programs: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Step 2. Remove Searchnu from Mac OS X
Step 3. Remove Searchnu from Internet Explorer
Step 4. Remove Searchnu from Mozilla Firefox
Step 5. Remove Searchnu from Google Chrome
Step 6. Remove Searchnu from Safari
Remove Searchnu from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Searchnu from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Searchnu or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Searchnu from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Searchnu or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Searchnu from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Searchnu and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Searchnu removal.
Remove Searchnu from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchnu and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Searchnu removal.
Remove Searchnu from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Searchnu and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Searchnu removal.
Remove Searchnu from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Searchnu or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Searchnu, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Searchnu removal process.
Complete Searchnu removal
After uninstalling this potentially unwanted program (PUP) and fixing each of your web browsers, we recommend you to scan your PC system with a reputable anti-spyware. This will help you to get rid of Searchnu registry traces and will also identify related parasites or possible malware infections on your computer. For that you can use our top-rated malware remover: SpyHunter, Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Searchnu
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Searchnu
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.