What is SmileBox?
SmileBox is a potentially unwanted application that can be used for making slideshows, scrapbooks, invitations and other multimedia creations. This program is legitimate and compatible not only with Windows but with Mac OS as well. However, many our users have also reported that it showed up on their computers without downloading it. Please, don't think that SmileBox is a virus because it can't infiltrate your computer like viruses do. However, it can show up on your PC without downloading it because it has been actively spread in a bundle with freeware and shareware as an optional component. That's why it has been added to browser hijacker and potentially unwanted program categories. If you want to avoid such programs, you need to start monitoring installation of the freeware and forget about Quick or Recommended installation methods. As soon as SmileBox adware enters the system, it drops its own browser plugin on each of web browsers. It can also change the start page and the default search engine to Mystart.smilebox.com, which is a commercial search engine that displayed altered search results. As a result, you can notice that each of your search sessions is interrupted by redirects to SmileBox and other unknown sites. In addition, it can also initiate annoying pop-up ads, in-text links, banner ads and other notifications that are mostly used for affiliate marketing. If you want to protect yourself from them, you should remove SmileBox. The easiest way to do that is to run a full system scan with Reimage.
How can SmileBox hijack my computer?
Though in most of the cases this program is downloaded by people from its official website. However, it can also infiltrate computers behind people's back because it has been actively promoted with the help of bundling. In order to avoid that, you need to monitor installation of the freeware. For that, you should opt only for Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware. In addition, you should uncheck pre-checked check marks that say that you want to install browser add-ons, extensions, plugins, toolbars and similar components on your computer. If you have been suffering from SmileBox redirects, you should know that it may try to lead you to additional problems, like the loss of your personally non-identifiable information, slow downs on each of your web browsers, redirects, annoying pop-up ads and similar issues. In order to avoid them, you should use a guide below and remove Smilebox from your machine. Make sure you are very attentive while performing these steps on your computer.
How to remove SmileBox virus?
If you have installed this program on your computer manually, you may have already noticed annoying SmileBox ads during your browsing. In addition, people have also informed us about redirects that are caused by this program as well. if you don't want to be tricked into visiting unknown and unsafe websites, you should waste no time and remove this browser hijacker from the system. You can do that with the help of this guide:
You can remove Smilebox automatically with a help of one of these programs: Reimage, Malwarebytes Anti Malware. We recommend these applications because they can easily delete potentially unwanted programs and viruses with all their files and registry entries that are related to them.
Smilebox manual removal
Step 2. Remove Smilebox from Mac OS X
Step 3. Remove Smilebox from Internet Explorer
Step 4. Remove Smilebox from Mozilla Firefox
Step 5. Remove Smilebox from Google Chrome
Step 6. Remove Smilebox from Safari
Remove Smilebox from Windows 7 / Vista / XP systems
- Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features (if you are Windows XP user, click on Add/Remove Programs).
Remove Smilebox from Windows 10 / Windows 8 systems
- If you are Windows 10 / Windows 8 user, then right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel and Uninstall a Program.
- Here, look for Smilebox or any other recently installed suspicious programs.
- Uninstall them and click OK to save these changes.
- Right click on the shortcut of Mozilla Firefox and select Properties.
- Go to Shortcut tab and look at the Target field. Delete malicious URL that is related to your virus.
Repeat steps that are given above with all browsers' shortcuts, including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. Make sure you check all locations of these shortcuts, including Desktop, Start Menu and taskbar.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Smilebox from Mac OS X system
If you are using OS X, click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications.
Wait until you see Applications folder and look for Smilebox or any other suspicious programs on it. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash.WindowsMac OS XInternet ExplorerFirefoxGoogle ChromeSafari
Remove Smilebox from Internet Explorer (IE)Remove dangerous add-ons
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the Gear icon (IE menu) on the top right corner of the browser and choose Manage Add-ons.
- You will see a Manage Add-ons window. Here, look for Smilebox and other suspicious plugins. Disable these entries by clicking Disable:
- Click on the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of the browser and select Internet Options. Stay in General tab.
- Here, remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Click Apply to save changes.
- Click on the gear icon (menu) again and select Internet options. Go to Advanced tab.
- Here, select Reset.
- When in the new window, check Delete personal settings and select Reset again to complete Smilebox removal.
Remove Smilebox from Mozilla Firefox (FF)Remove dangerous extensions
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Add-ons → Extensions.
- Here, select Smilebox and other questionable plugins. Click Remove to delete these entries.
- Click on the menu (top right corner), choose Options → General.
- Here, delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Click OK to save these changes.
- Click on the Firefox menu on the top left and click on the question mark. Here, choose Troubleshooting Information.
- Now you will see Reset Firefox to its default state message with Reset Firefox button. Click this button for several times and complete Smilebox removal.
Remove Smilebox from Google ChromeDelete malicious plugins
- Open Google Chrome, click on the menu icon (top right corner) and select Tools → Extensions.
- Here, select Smilebox and other malicious plugins and select trash icon to delete these entries.
- Click on menu icon and choose Settings.
- Here, look for the Open a specific page or set of pages under On startup option and click on Set pages.
- Now you should see another window. Here, delete malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Click on menu icon again and choose Settings → Manage Search engines under the Search section.
- When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search sites. You should leave only Google or your preferred domain name.
- Click on menu icon on the top right of your Google Chrome and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Reset browser settings.
- Click Reset to confirm this action and complete Smilebox removal.
Remove Smilebox from SafariRemove dangerous extensions
- Open Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu at the top left of the screen. Once you do this, select Preferences.
- Here, select Extensions and look for Smilebox or other suspicious entries. Click on the Uninstall button to get rid each of them.
- Open your Safari web browser and click on Safari in menu section. Here, select Preferences as it was displayed previously and select General.
- Here, look at the Homepage field. If it was altered by Smilebox, remove unwanted link and enter the one that you want to use for your searches. Remember to include the "http://" before typing in the address of the page.
- Open Safari browser and click on Safari in menu section at the top left of the screen. Here, select Reset Safari....
- Now you will see a detailed dialog window filled with reset options. All of those options are usually checked, but you can specify which of them you want to reset. Click the Reset button to complete Smilebox removal process.
If this free removal guide helped you and you are satisfied with our service, please consider making a donation to keep this service alive. Even a smallest amount will be appreciated.
Geolocation of Smilebox
Removal guides in other languages
Comments on Smilebox
Post a comment
Attention: Use this form only if you have additional information about a parasite, its removal instructions, additional resources or behavior. By clicking "post comment" button you agree not to post any copyrighted, unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.